LNER Wagons Vol 4 Peter Tatlow/Wild Swan

David Bigcheeseplant

• 2 years later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

So I might just be getting a Christmas present then? Have plasticard and brass channel, plus ambitions for the SCVs that could be seen at Dawnays.

Yes, and as a taster, here is the index page from the proofs to show what it will be covering.  With 180 pages on top of the 160 that went before, you can see why it needed to be split into two volumes!

I don't have an actual intended date for publication but it won't be long.

lner wagons.pdf

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

With the transfer of the business to Titfield Thunderbolt, production is now on hold. Simon Castens has promised Peter Tatlow (and us) that it will be the first publication under his new ownership. Without committing to an actual date, sometime in the Spring might be a possibility...

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Thanks for the encouraging comments. Proofs are now being sent out from the printers for final approval and all being well the book will be printed and sent up to the binders by the end of next week, the finished book hopefully being available for the 27th March.

All very exciting for a rookie - I just hope all this detailed information being made public doesn't jinx everything :O

Simon

• 4 weeks later...

Yes indeed, arrangements are already in hand to make sure Bill Hudson books (and other booksellers) have adequate supplies at the show.

Just been speaking to young  James (he of the Order of the Black Toe). LNER Wagons 4B... York delivery confirmed and selling fast for collection this week end by pre-order.

Porcy

Although my copy will be awaiting despatch from Bob Pearman and the delays due to the Easter public holidays, I will offer a sincere and grateful 'THANK YOU' to Simon for taking on the Wild Swan range. He has been true to his word by bringing the first book to market under his ownership as promised and by doing so has seen completed an excellent work on a complex subject by a knowledgeable and respected author. May this initial success continue and here's looking forward in anticipation to more works of a similar standard (preferably LNER/Eastern based).

• RMweb Gold

Hi. I have purchased my copy of volume 4b from the York Show, and although I've only been able to quickly look through it, it is clearly the equal with the earlier volumes in this series of books. Am very pleased with what I've seen. Well done!

All the best,

Market65.

Received my copy today of LNER Wagons Volume 4B today. Have to say it has been well worth the wait as this volume contains information I've needed for a long time. It has also surprised me as it's revealed things to me that I never knew before until now. Was very surprised to learn that seven LNER Cattle Wagons were sold to the LMS...!! Following this interesting fact, a LNER Cattle wagon in LMS livery will now have to be made for my layout...!!

All in all, an excellent conclusion to the history of the wagons of the LNER and it's pre-grouping companies!! :)

Also agree that LNER Wagons Volume 4B looks like a very good book at first glance. If only there was as good a book on LMS standard designs are the R.J. Essery Illustrated Histories really don't go into the depth that Peter Tatlow has here.

• RMweb Premium

The LNER and SR wagon volumes are exemplary of their type. The LMS volumes were excellent for their time but are overdue an update and expansion along the lines of Peter's from his original volume. I've never really got on with the various versions of the GWR history, they seem to lack the clarity of the LNER and Southern books.

And I'm still waiting for B.R. Wagons Volume 2 . . .

David

Archived