Plymstock Bridge

Garry Morris

I noted some maintenance going on at the bridge today. I hope this is not preparation for demolition as it will be vital for the eventual light rail system that Plymouth must have one day. It is not rail connected but does still have track on the decking. Can anyone shed any light on what is happening?

This is the start of extending the cycle path into the City Centre incorporating the old trackbed of the former Plymstock line. The bridge over the Embankment road was done some time ago and will link the old Friary station to the paths to Bickleigh and Yelverton (the G W Tavistock line) and Turnchapel (ex Southern Ralway line).

This is the start of extending the cycle path into the City Centre incorporating the old trackbed of the former Plymstock line. The bridge over the Embankment road was done some time ago and will link the old Friary station to the paths to Bickleigh and Yelverton (the G W Tavistock line) and Turnchapel (ex Southern Ralway line).

Thanks. I do hope that one day there will be a travel plan for Plymouth incorporating light rail services from places like Tavistock, Liskeard, Totnes and Yelverton into street level in Armada Way. 2030 perhaps!

Thanks. I do hope that one day there will be a travel plan for Plymouth incorporating light rail services from places like Tavistock, Liskeard, Totnes and Yelverton into street level in Armada Way. 2030 perhaps!

But there was, it was called the G W R, ran from all those towns to a place at Millbay (only a few hundred yards from Armada Way!) and used relatively light weight steam railcars.

Isn't progress wonderful?

• RMweb Gold

It would be nice, but I'm not particularly hopeful. Bristol have been fannying around with a supposedly similar scheme for over 30 years, and it's still just so much hot air....

Archived