All time favourite Hornby release

Coldgunner

The 1970's rendition of Princess Elizabeth. And all of these years later the thing that still motivates my modeling is a big maroon LMR pacific and a rake of maroon carriages.

Yes, me too. I had one when I was about 4/5 as an extra to my first train set, and somehow, every foray into railway modelling from then my first 'proper' layout in my early teens, to now in my 40s has had a resolutely LMS/LMR theme. Still got that original Princess Elizabeth, and I dont think I've ever been without whatever the current Hornby version of the Princess was at any given time...

My first 00 gauge model was the Tri-ang green Princess in 1958, prior to that it was 0 gauge toys, which I wish I still had!

However, the release of the L1 tank last year, or the year before, was the moment for me, so unexpected!. A seminal loco. for Nottingham Vic. in the early '60's, along with the very last A5's, I thought I would have to be content with an ABS kit build. No!!!

A superb model, I have three, and they take me back to the everyday unsung workings of the Vic. Bring on the O1's.

Tearfully,

Peter C.

• RMweb Premium

Same as Rob McG post #2 I still have my 3 rail Bristol Castle and it runslike a dream, although it spends most of the year in the museum (display case) these day.

• RMweb Premium

R259S Britannia, with smoke, my first 'Brand New' 00 gauge model received for Christmas when I was 12. I'd wanted a model of this loco since I saw the illustration on the box top of the Hornby 0 Gauge clockwork set I got for my 3rd Christmas. The current production isn't half bad either, spot on looks and detail, and what fantastic haulage capability (without 'Magnadhesion)' !

John

The two Hornby models I think are the Bee's Knees are two recent ones (or should I say classes?): the Maunsells in SR colours and the LNER Gresley Non vestibuled Suburbans. Each time a handle them I go "wow!" not only are they so much better than anything I could currently manage, but they are better than the competition (I think that they far outstrip Bachmann's Mk 1s - which used to be the yardstick for OO RTR coach model standards). Now if they would only make these coaches easy to open in order to install lighting and passengers, they would be as about perfect as you can get with RTR

I'm also quite particular to their Grange

F

Triang TT 70036 Boadicea - present from my parents in 1963 for passing the 11+

Hornby OO 70015 Apollo - present from mother couple of years ago for christmas.

Brit15

Bearing the name 'Hornby' would mean Hornby-Dublo to me for an all time favourite - then it's the pre-ringfield 'Castle', without a shadow of doubt.

Thanks for reminding me Mike, my first 00 gauge 'train-set' (after the 0 gauge tin-plate) was the HD 'Red Dragon' set with 'Denbigh Castle' must of been one of HD's first forays into 2-rail. And I thought then that it was the 'bees-knees' :sungum: .

• RMweb Premium

"Modern" Hornby would have to be the rebuilt Bulleid light pacific for me.

TriAng is a bit more difficult, but I think I'd have to plump for the Jinty - surely one of their most successful models and not a bad effort either!

Hornby Dublo - easy! The BR 4MT 2-6-4T, possibly my all-time favourite real loco. I wanted one for years before buying a Wrenn reissue out of one of my first-ever pay packets back in 1971!

"Modern" Hornby would have to be the rebuilt Bulleid light pacific for me.

If it weren't for the sentimental value of my Blackmore Vale, I would have to agree with you. Much more attractive machines than the originals and Hornby did a fantastic job of them. I have 2, but every time I see one at a knocked down price it is very tempting to have more. As good as they look on their own, they look even better in a line-up!

Sentimentally, my BoB "Spitfire". Makes a fantastic growling noise and I had two green southern coaches to go behind it. My large logo 47 was so sorely missed from my childhood I bought one on the 'Bay a while back.

Overall, the latest Brittania. One day, I shall line it up next to my Dad's R063(?) 1978 version.

Probably a strange looking choice but when I were younger, the old Hornby Class 47 was a favourite. Every model show I would go to I would find an example for twenty notes and by the following weekend it would have been completely stripped down, repainted, flush glazed and detailed. Cut my teeth on those and second hand Lima 33's!! Had one 47 with the Silver Seal metal chassis, hauled anything and went like stink, ruddy good chassis for its time.

I've still got one of those "Fleischmann" chassis, with an etched brass (Craftsman?) D0260 conversion on top! Lovely motor. Must put it up for sale now I've got my Heljan Loin though.

Stewart

The latest version of the Britannia - I can almost smell Liverpool Street c1958!

Overall, the latest Brittania.

How disappointed I was by the first Triang model: I really wanted a model of a Brit as a youngster, (at the time I was fascinated by the racket they made as compared to the Doncster pacifics without understanding the why) and the Triang model didn't do the job for me at all, left it in the shop.

But the current model, oh yes, that was worth the forty year wait. Much as I like some of the other RTR pacific models on offer, Hornby - for my money - have the top of the heap pacific model in this item.

• RMweb Premium

The latest version of the Britannia - I can almost smell Liverpool Street c1958!

The latest Britannia - my choice too. Must get a couple more when funds allow. Looks great with fantastic performance.

Black 5s since early 2000s come a close second.

Can't have too many of these ace machines!!

Jeff

Archived