• RMweb Gold

Thanks - that’s helpful :-) So just to confirm then, that a bit of tarnishing has no effect once airbrushed with primer? If you’ve not guessed, I’m a painting virgin.....just working on my first loco currently. Loving it, but learning as I go!

A "bit" of tarnishing is no problem, make sure there is no minute surface damage though, although, in the perfect world we don't live in, removing with a scratch brush is the way to go.

As an experiment, put some fingerprints or marks of some sort on a bit of scrap etch, wait until they've taken, wipe clean the etch and spray to give you an idea of what you will finish up with.

Mike.

Edited by Enterprisingwestern

• 2 years later...
  • RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, rhydddu said:

Hi all. Using the helpful info in this thread I think I have found a decent machine. Dual frequency, good power (180W), with heater, decent capacity (6L), drain and uk plug(!).

What do experienced people on here think? Here is a link. Thanks Colin 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/173889006076

Very difficult to tell when you're buying blind, reviews generally aren't the greatest of help either. Unless someone has bought that actual machine then it's pot luck.

My Lidl cheapy which was at least ten years old, if not more, has given up the ghost, and like you I've taken a leap of faith with a relatively cheap Chinese version.

When you get yours post a review, that will help the rest of us, I'm also after a larger one which will take a MK1 bodyshell sized item, if your internal measurement is ok I might be tempted if you find it ok.

Time will tell for both of us.

• RMweb Premium
On 19/09/2020 at 23:08, rhydddu said:

Hi all. Using the helpful info in this thread I think I have found a decent machine. Dual frequency, good power (180W), with heater, decent capacity (6L), drain and uk plug(!).

What do experienced people on here think? Here is a link. Thanks Colin 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/173889006076

As it's a trader on ebay you could buy it and try it - if it works well then it's a result.  If not then claim a refund as defective (ebay will virtually always find in your favour) - they'll have to email you a returns label too.  The only thing this won't do is prove life expectancy.  A strange lack of information in the advert description though - i.e. none.  Please let us know the outcome.

Edited by polybear