Sound for N gauge and "coach sound" for OO

I propose a range of sound decoder ready N gauge stock, which you could fit into trains to help N gauge steam locos do sound. I am going to look around for a suitable base vehicle. The innovation will be that it will be idiot proof, simply plug in your chip and speaker and off you chuff, no soldering, no dismantling, simply lift off the roof. Any stock suggestions welcome.

On the OO front I propose sounds for coaches, the clack of the rail joins and maybe a bit of wind noise. This makes up a big chunk of the real noise of a train but is absent in model sound. This is probably one for someone else as I know sweet football association about sound file programming!

On the OO front I propose sounds for coaches, the clack of the rail joins and maybe a bit of wind noise. This makes up a big chunk of the real noise of a train but is absent in model sound. This is probably one for someone else as I know sweet football association about sound file programming!

A lot of the noise on coaches is only heard when you are riding in them, particularly wind roar. Most of the noise generated by coaches that you hear from a vantage point at a scale distance is mainly wheel ringing and the rail joints clickety clack which is quite distinctive on bogie coaches, That de-dun de dun whoosh de dun de dun is never forgotten even when travelling on modern jointless rail.

You only get a scale version of the joint noise if someone has made scale track panels. I agree this noise is very nostalgic, hence should be useful.

On the cost front for sound I am considering one of the generic sound only chips which is about £46. Any good ideas for stock? The only problem I can see with this is that you might need several wagons for different eras even though the locomotive remains the same e.g. banger blue era covers both the last years of steam era goods stock and the introduction of larger, more modern types, better suited to sound chips.

• 1 month later...

Archived