Points Bridge, Hagg Bank, Wylam, Northumberland

I get the distinct feeling that Ron might have designed it strong enough to need only one arch!

Wow, I hadn't realised Ron was the actual civil engineer who designed these bridges?

I get the distinct feeling that Ron might have designed it strong enough to need only one arch!

Wow, I hadn't realised Ron was the actual civil engineer who designed these bridges?

This last post of mine has really got you going -

Looking at the bridge as an engineer Ron do you think it needed the third arch?

If the two outer arches had been designed with greater depth and heavier steel cross-sections, then two arches would have been sufficient

Because of the string harness, Ron, your fluid loading (above) appears a lot more concentrated (no pun intended!) than the BR Standard's - even if they had been the same mass. I'd suggest you could probably run a pair of K's whitemetal Garratts across and not overload your structure. Well done!

- or even two sets of locos running light tripled-headed

??? Thinks must try that !!!

Not the prototype. Maybe could have possibly built the model with a single wide arch to achieve a similar load-bearing capability and deck stability, but then it wouldn't have been a scale model of the prototype

Have started the abutments' stone cladding

The base layer is cut from 40thou styrene -

post-10633-0-96351000-1355679174_thumb.jpg

Part construction

post-10633-0-15501700-1355679203_thumb.jpg

Part construction

Once this base layer is completed, individual stone facings (7.5mm x 3.5mm) will be added on an 8mm x 4mm matrix

Now how many 20thou facings strips do I need to cut :scratchhead: , must be at least 500 per side, that's 2000 at a guess. who said modelling was a pleasant pastime :jester:

• RMweb Gold

Ron

I have been quietly following your progress on Manchester Central and the viaducts for ages now. I live in Glossop and often see both the station and and the viaducts when visiting Manchester and believe you me, since I first stumbled across the threads I now see the real thing in a completely different light.

I have not commented before, partly because it has all been said by others and to be honest I am in complete awe at what you are doing and have not been able to think of anything constructive to say. The one thing that following the thread has done though is provide no end of inspiration and a belief that when you put your mind to anything is possible.

I am starting to plan a layout for use on the exhibition circuit and intend to try to apply many of the techniques demonstrated by people such as yourself on RMweb and this leads the to the reason for my post.

Although you suggest that they will look better when painted and weathered the stone strips already look superb, so the question is how have actually made them.

The previous post suggested individual stone but this one refers to strips. Are they strips, individual stones, stones stuck on strips etc?

How you did you round the corners and what did you do to the edges and how have you roughened them?

How will you mass produce another 1900?

I hope you don’t mind the questions but if I am going to have a go I need to understand the “how”

Chris

Ron

I have been quietly following your progress on Manchester Central and the viaducts for ages now. I live in Glossop and often see both the station and and the viaducts when visiting Manchester and believe you me, since I first stumbled across the threads I now see the real thing in a completely different light.

I have not commented before, partly because it has all been said by others and to be honest I am in complete awe at what you are doing and have not been able to think of anything constructive to say. The one thing that following the thread has done though is provide no end of inspiration and a belief that when you put your mind to anything is possible.

I am starting to plan a layout for use on the exhibition circuit and intend to try to apply many of the techniques demonstrated by people such as yourself on RMweb and this leads the to the reason for my post.

Although you suggest that they will look better when painted and weathered the stone strips already look superb, so the question is how have actually made them.

The previous post suggested individual stone but this one refers to strips. Are they strips, individual stones, stones stuck on strips etc?

How you did you round the corners and what did you do to the edges and how have you roughened them?

How will you mass produce another 1900?

I hope you don’t mind the questions but if I am going to have a go I need to understand the “how”

Chris

Hi, Chris

Thanks Chris for your comments. The following is the basis for the 'stone wall' effect -

Each 'stone' is cut out of styrene. I use a balsa strip cutter to cut strips 3.5mm wide, and then use a self-built guillotine to these strips into individual pieces each 7.5mm long

The stones are then stuck onto the styrene backing base, one at a time, aligned on an 8mm x 4mm matrix

The horizontal and vertical spaces are scraped with a craft knife to remove all the sharp/square edges. The rows of stones are then brushed with copious amounts of PlasticWeld

Hope this helps

Cheers

Ron

• RMweb Premium

H Ron

It's good to see that the bridge has now undergone a group standard load test. :good: :drink_mini:

The abutment looks to be another masterpiece of platicard civil engineering. Yes I know there's a bit of wood behind the facade! but that doesn't detract from the artistry on show.

Cheers SS

H Ron

It's good to see that the bridge has now undergone a group standard load test. :good: :drink_mini:

The abutment looks to be another masterpiece of platicard civil engineering. Yes I know there's a bit of wood behind the facade! but that doesn't detract from the artistry on show.

Cheers SS

Yes, sorry about the wood blocks, but trying to reproduce mass concrete and/or stone is not really practical with styrene sheets 100mm thick :no:

The styrene delivery to complete the over arch bracings must be caught up in the xmas post, so the final load test is still outstanding :drinks:

Cheers

Ron

Constructing and fixing some of the vertical inter-arch cross-bracings -

post-10633-0-35396500-1356384469_thumb.jpg

Vertical bracing assemblies

Viewing through the horizontal cross-bracings -

post-10633-0-49801200-1356384503_thumb.jpg

post-10633-0-45998300-1356384568_thumb.jpg

Views of the vertical bracings in place -

post-10633-0-64737000-1356384535_thumb.jpg

post-10633-0-03896500-1356384602_thumb.jpg

post-10633-0-00204700-1356384636_thumb.jpg

next -

- complete the vertical bracings

- complete the horizontal bracings

Its looking fabulous Ron, here's a little something for inspiration in case you run out of things to do.

Regards

Keith

attachicon.gifbridge-kn.JPG

Hi, Keith

That's a nice piece of lattice work - couldn't possibly fit it in this week  :no: 

Looks like part of an arch supported deck

- and the bridge is ?

Ron

Even more civil engineering if you do decide to build it., think of the size of the garden pond that will be needed to do it justice!

Wally

Hi, Wally

At a scale 2.6 metres long, and a span of 2.052 metres it could be accommodated in the garden, but wouldn't be big enough to span the pool, and couldn't be built in styrene  :no:

:drinks: 

Ron

My guess is that this eighth wonder of the modelling world will be capable of at least ten kilos evenly spread across the deck.

Are we starting a wager? Any offers on 15 kilos?

Hi, Ian

Sorry Ian, the most cans I can possibly fit under the deck is 17 x 500ml, which is only 8.5kg (18.7lbs) - It is cider which is stronger, but not heavier  :mail: 

I could try and load the top of the arches as well, but that isn't really loading the deck  :scratchhead: 

Anyway, until all the suspension hangers are in place, and I can set up the test, it is all a bit academic 

The hanger components are all cut, but I have not the time now until Monday or Tuesday to complete the structure and carry out the test :no: 

All the best for the New Year

Ron

Easy - raise the bridge, hang two rows of cans under the deck evenly spread. That's about 34 cans then?

Just kidding! With so many glue points, this construction would be incredibly strong. It's academic how strong, because it would be out of scale and the most it is expected to carry is about 30% of any test weight.

My latest Xmas delivery arrived this afternoon

11 bottles of Plastic Weld hand delivered by my daughter from her visit to one of my other daughters in the UK over Xmas

Why 11, because the Royal Mail happened to break one of the box of 12 - still cheaper than paying for postal delivery from the UK (£18)

It's full steam ahead again for 12 months or so of styrene builds

Archived