Ally Pally

polybear

• RMweb Premium

Hi all,

Historically I've always gone on a Saturday - from doors open, Bachmann scrum, bomb round the sales stalls for bargains, secondhand etc. etc. But this year I'm pondering going on the Sunday for a bit of a more relaxed day with less crowds. So - is the Sunday much quieter (enough to make the loss of goodies worthwhile?) or shall I stick with the Saturday? All experiences much appreciated - many thanks.

Brian

Sunday was far quieter last year and I suspect the forecast warm weather this weekend won't do much for the show's family attendances. Depends a bit on whether you're driving or using PT as it's probably easier by train etc. on the Saturday and easier to drive to on the Sunday.

As part of the MRC team in the hall for several years now I can tell you Sunday is much quieter than Saturday.

Also afternoon is much quieter than morning, peak attendance (both days) probably 1-2pm

Of course past attendance may be no guide as to what happens this year !

We always go on the sunday because, as there is always at least 3 of us,

it's cheaper by car. It hasn't been that crowded in previous years, and as

mentioned, the weather will probably keep the crowds down.

Jeff

• RMweb Premium

Hi all,

Many thanks for the replies. I did opt for the Saturday in the end - the call of the trade stands was just too great....

And glad I did in the end - I managed to get a Class 45 in Green with small yellow panels & split code boxes from the Bachmann returns stand for £50 (a sound version with the sound chip removed; I've yet to try it yet though..... I'm hoping they've forgotten to remove the chip....) and amazingly I also picked up a Baby Deltic 5901 in Green with small yellow panels too (thought they were all long gone). Best bargain was nine packs of Alan Gibson driving wheels for a quid a pack; most embarrassing moment was pointing to a Dapol Class 22 (unboxed) and asking how much the Baby Deltic was... In mitigation it was a custom weathered version, so hopefully this can be taken into consideration before sentencing m'lud...

Crowds were ok (thought it quieter than previous years) and going to see Liverpool Lime Street early on was a good scheme too :).

Overall, a good show :)

Brian

Archived