Based on King's Lynn

Mark P

Very nice!, I signed the route from 1992 - 2012. The hauled trains used to run round exactly as you have described.

There is/was an old portacabin in the freight yard, I couldn't see it in your pics, but it would be worth modelling.

One of the last times the station building was repainted, the then Station Manager said she wanted the buffer stops the same colour as the platform furniture (grey).

Needless to say, once reported by us drivers they were soon repainted red!

Andy

• 2 weeks later...

Many thanks for all of your comments and information about King's Lynn freight workings.

I have found a few photographs and even a video of "peaks" on freight workings to and from King's lynn.

To date no 40s, however I did find a photograph of a 40 on a March to Wisbech working in the 1980s so have used modeller's licence to cover this.

Mark

This is the best i can do regarding a 40 at King's Lynn.... I will keep looking though.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/nicholasy/8423341677/in/photostream/

This is the best i can do regarding a 40 at King's Lynn.... I will keep looking though.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/nicholasy/8423341677/in/photostream/

Thank you for finding that, I've found quite a few photographs of 40s at March and Wisbech but still no photographs at King's Lynn except for railtours and Network days.

Also nice to see that you recorded 47003 on a Lynn train, when I repainted my 47 as 003 I picked the number at random from the Stratford allocation with silver roofs.

• 3 weeks later...

Prompted by the link posted by beast66606 (many thanks for posting) I am posting a photograph of the signalbox on my layout.

I now see that I will have to include a chimney (missing from the later photographs I based the build on) and extensive wiring conduits on the front wall.

I chose to position the 'box on the wrong side of the tracks because otherwise I wouldn't have been able to see anything but the back wall!

post-8918-0-87047200-1361091252_thumb.jpg

As you can see this is the edge of the scenic section.

Regards

Mark

• 4 weeks later...

I am currently working on a steam heating van for the layout: http://www.departmen.../photo/321073-3

After many hours of measuring from photographs I created a template in Sketchup, overlaid it on plasticard and have come up with these:

post-8918-0-88900000-1363433319_thumb.jpg

The underframe is from the Dundas PC16 LNER 20 ton plate wagon.

One thing that is going to be "interesting" is replicating the louvred vents on the sides of the van.

On another note I am very tempted by the Heljan 128 parcels units.

Does anybody know whether these ever ran to Lynn?

I have seen photographs in and around Ely but mostly on Norwich services.

Any information would be gratefully received.

Mark

post-8918-0-44906900-1363516165.jpg

Sides and ends attached to the underframe and a representation of the inside of the van added.

Still to find a solution to the louvres.

Off to buy some engineer's green paint this week.

Mark

Well that just didn't look right so I re-drew and re-made the sides making the overall height lower.

I also shifted the window positions using markers on the underframe of my model and the photographs as a guide.

post-8918-0-48856600-1363812585_thumb.jpg

I am also scratch building the buffer beams rather than using the ones from the kit (glue is drying on those at the moment).

Mark

A little more progress:

post-8918-0-13750100-1364331452_thumb.jpg

Struggling to get a set of buffers at the moment, the mail order system on the site I want to order from doesn't seem to like Safari so I'll have to try from a PC tomorrow.

I used a scribe to mark the louvres in the end, I'm hoping that once painted I can work some black weathering into them and make them stand out.

Regards

Mark

• RMweb Premium

Hi Mark

I might have to copy your model of Dobbin (as the heater van at Finsbury Park was called) for Hanging Hill, as the new replacement for its present carriage heating unit ex B1 departmental locomotive number 19.  

Very nice!, I signed the route from 1992 - 2012. The hauled trains used to run round exactly as you have described.

There is/was an old portacabin in the freight yard, I couldn't see it in your pics, but it would be worth modelling.

One of the last times the station building was repainted, the then Station Manager said she wanted the buffer stops the same colour as the platform furniture (grey).

Needless to say, once reported by us drivers they were soon repainted red!

Andy

Hi Andy,

I used the train from King's Lynn last week and the portacabin, or its replacement, is still there slowly disappearing into the undergrowth.

Thanks for the suggestion I am now keeping my eyes open for a suitable kit although if I can't find one I'll scratch build something.

Mark

Thats coming on well.  Grills look good.

Whats the plan for the lettering?

Hi Simon,

As far as the lettering goes I'm just going to try and do what I can with bits and pieces from all of the decal sets that I've bought over the last couple of years.

Looking at the photographs I've found the exact lettering varied a lot anyway from van to van.

Mark

A few more photographs of the layout.

A parcels unit passes the stabling point as it enters the station.

post-8918-0-14123400-1364836269.jpg

A pair of 31s pause at the level crossing as they take the sand train empties to Middleton Towers.

post-8918-0-66301900-1364836286.jpg

B17 Thorpe Hall arrives with a train from London.

post-8918-0-56271400-1364836300.jpg

An L1 backs onto the other end of the train to take it forward to Hunstanton.

post-8918-0-72526000-1364836318.jpg

The Heljan 128 is a superb model and runs very smoothly.

I have used Zimo MX631 decoders in the 128 and the last 08 I purchased and am very impressed with their performance.

Hope you enjoy the pictures.

Mark

(edited to move pictures back into correct order)

Does anybody know whether these ever ran to Lynn?

Yes they did Mark. 

I remember one of these being permanently stabled at the buffers on the centre road.  They were used to pre-heat the MK1 coaching stock for the first train of the day to London.  I think that there was some permanent metal pipework which ran from the steam heating boiler to the buffers on the platform track, which the end coach was connected to.

I have also found one photo on the web that shows one stabled on the centre road -http://www.flickr.com/photos/28178727@N08/8547372747/

I like your BIS wagon conversion.  Did you do the logo in the same way that you did the Campbell Soups logos?

I have uploaded some of my photos (print scans) that I took some time in the late 80s, hope you find them useful - 

Paul

Hi Mark

I also ment to share these three website with you, You may have already seen them, some really great historical photos.

"A Few for the Railway Buffs"

Check out  page 4, halfway  done three 03s and one 08 on shed !!   I guess with the docks there was lots of shunting to do in those days?

ttp://www.lynn-area-forums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1642&sid=ff82e7765243c4c83dcd0e2293f4133d

"South Lynn and King's Lynn Railway Stations - M&GN"

http://www.kingslynn-forums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=273

The Courtney Haydon Collection

http://www.rcts.org.uk/features/mysteryphotos/index.htm?location=King%27s+Lynn&srch=&page=0

Paul

Hi Paul,

Many thanks for posting, some very useful and interesting photographs linked there.

I always liked 03s and some of those photographs of the stabling point with two or three of them present helped me decide to model King's Lynn.

I made the BIS transfers using the same method as described for the Campbell's transfers, except that with the lettering and lining being coloured I was able to print them onto clear decal paper.

There is a side on photograph on the internet of one of the wagons in ex works condition that I was able to use for the graphics.

Mark

Another quick update on the steam heating van progress.

Buffers in place, windows installed and most of the painting of body and underframe completed.

Roof next then just tidying up and transfers to go.

post-8918-0-47093300-1365360609_thumb.jpg

Mark

Thanks Phil, yes I am planning to find something to use to represent the lights and bell.

Managed to get the roof fitted last night so I also have to fit a variety of vents and exhaust ports to that.

Mark

Thank you Class 66.

Just about finished give or take a coat of varnish or two.

I am short of the correct decals but at least it gives an impression of the vehicle.

post-8918-0-27704600-1366142111_thumb.jpg

post-8918-0-23431400-1366142165_thumb.jpg

It has been an enjoyable build at any rate.

Next up is a 51L Diag 1/166 ironstone wagon kit.

Mark

Mark,

Steam Heat van is fabulous! Really looks the part.

It's given me a nudge that I need to get started on one in O gauge!

Did you find photo's of the roof? I've been wondering about the layout of the vents etc.?

I always enjoy catching up on this thread. Great stuff!

Colin

Thanks Colin, 

I couldn't find any photographs of the roof, between Paul Bartlett's site and www.departmentals.com there are quite a few photographs about but all from ground level.

There does seem to be a lot of variation between different vans.

As one of the photographs on the departmental website is captioned Loughborough 2003 there may well be one in preservation, a comment on the same page indicates that it might have moved to the Battlefield Line in 2008.

Good luck with your build in O gauge, is there a suitable under-frame kit or will you have to scratch build that as well?

Mark

Mark,

I hadn't given a thought to the possibility that one may have survived. I'll check that out, thanks!

I haven't researched a suitable underframe yet, but my guess is there is likely to be a plastic wagon kit (Slaters/Parkside etc.) that has the correct wheelbase. That will form the basis, and then I can attack it in the same way you and scratch build the body work.

I'll post a photo of my efforts at some point in the future. It'll be a while, I'm quite a way behind you layout wise. I'm concentrating most of my modelling time on building baseboards at the moment. ...But I'm getting there slowly!  

Colin

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Mark,

Funny you should mention how the trains were run round at Lynn, as i had the boss up in the box here at Littleport the other day and were talking about the same thing. The conclusion that we came up with was that most trains came in and stopped so that the coaches were clear of the points, the shunter dropped down and uncoupled, with the loco moving into the shunt release. The points for this were operated by a ground frame. Next time you are there look at the sleepers, the point timbers are still there, complete with the point numbers on them!

The loco shed has a couple of piccys in the Irwell press 'first years of diesel depots' (or something like that!). One at least shows the fuelling equipment.

I don't recall seeing a BG in the lynn rake, although I do recall the Mk1 buffet and the vary rare aperance of a Mk1 corridor second at the Lynn end. The photos here in the box show that in the 80's most trains were 37 hauled with 5 Mk1's, BSO at the london end, the later mk2 sets appear to have the BSO third from london end (with a 31).

I remember the heating van well, it was always hard up against the buffer stops in the middle road (was there ever 4 roads between the platform faces, I can't remember) and i also remember the Pullman car that was over by the BR social club.

Freight is a bit more sketchy (I was in school at the time) but the coal was in proper MGW wagons, heading to Foxton. TEA's went to the beat factories (both at Lynn and Whissey). I remember bogie bolsters with steel coil too. Again some photos I have seen showed 16t minerals (presumably with sand in them).

I remember the network days, one of them had a 310 top and tailed by a 56 and a 31, and disappeared up to Middleton. The next one had a met-cam set going there.

The layout looks good, I look forward to seeing more!

Andy G

editted to removed some mistakes.

Archived