Based on King's Lynn

Mark P

Andy,

Many thanks for your comments and information, I looked today while I was waiting for the train and saw the point number and longer sleepers where the points would have been.

There were 4 roads between the platform faces but I don't know when the layout was changed to 3, some time after the end of steam.

I've almost finished the first of the limestone hoppers so will post some more photographs shortly.

Mark

• RMweb Premium

Owww, I'd forgotten about the buffer stop lamps! I also never knew that D200 visited Lynn, as I would have been there if i did. Shame that I missed my fav loco at my home station.

Andy

• 3 months later...

D200DM_zpscec0d468.jpg

Simon br blue, your photo looks like the Anglian Diesel Farewell which ran on 9th May 1987. I was on it:

gallery_6737_739_129316.jpg

gallery_6737_739_114314.jpg

Has anybody noticed that the led coach is numbered IC........ not E....M...W......was this part of special coach fleet for rail tours?

Mike

As I read the posts lots comes back to me. If I remember correctly the shunter used to have to pull the 9 coaches out over the level crossing until they installed the run around facility. I'm sure of this because I was allowed to drive the Class 37 up the platform one day. Also drove a 24 D5038 in the yard.

Mark

Fantastic model - I was Traffic Manager for British Rail at Kings Lynn in the early 80s so this brings back fond memories!

While I was there we had a period of bringing Skoda cars in by rail if you're stuck for new ideas! Also, we used to load palletised bags of sand into VDAs in the disused platforms near the BRSA club so one of these wouldn't look out of place in either of those platforms.

We also had a 33 in one day on a timetabled train from Liverpool Street c1985. Can't remember the number, but I'll bet someone out there has a photo!

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Mark

I have been brought up in King's Lynn and my dad had got me interested in railways. He started me off on 00 gauge railways when I was about 8 years old. He always used to say to me that he would love to have a model railway based on Kings Lynn, We did try but we didn't really succeed. I did show him the pictures that you have put on here and he was really impressed on how well you have made the layout and how very well detailed job you have done. Sadly we never got round to trying again because he became seriously ill and recently passed away. But I would like to try to make a model railway look something like King's Lynn, it wont be very detailed like your layout because i'm not that clever. I am wondering if you could help me out if you have a map of King's Lynn station between the 50's - 80's era? it would be very appreciated.

Regards,

Jason

Hi Jason,

Many thanks for your kind comments, I didn't have a map to work from but used the signal box diagrams such as this one http://www.flickr.co.../in/photostream and photographs to work out a rough track layout.

It also looks as though there is a good collection of reference material in the link posted by BrushType4 above.

Good luck with your project, maybe run into you in the model shop in town some time.

Regards

Mark

Thanks also to NorfolkAndGood for those excellent additional traffic ideas.

Especially the class 33 as I always liked that class so now have a (little needed) excuse to run one.

I will post some more photographs shortly, been busy with other things during the Summer.

Once again thanks to all who have posted.

Regards

Mark

Hi Mark,

I am pretty sure I have the Rail mag with a pic of the class 33 on the blocks at Liverpool St. I will try and find it for you. I think  pair of 33s made it up your way on a freight in the 90s too.

Cheers Peter.

Thanks Peter,

During my research I found photographs of class 33s on MOD trains in the Cambridge area but nothing as far North as King's Lynn.

I was going to use the MOD trains as an excuse anyway if truth be told, maybe using the Middleton Towers branch for an exercise unloading tanks and APCs.

Then I also get to build a rake of warflats or similar.

I'm just waiting to find a BR blue 33 (or two) at the right price.

Regards

Mark

Rail Enthusiast No 54 March 1986. Has two black and white pics of 33038. Pic one is 33038 at Kings Lynn on the 16.00 to Liverpool St, the loco arrived on the 12:05 from Liverpool St. Date Jan 10th. The other pic shows 33038 on the blocks at Liverpool St after working in from Cambridge having worked the 19:35 to Cambridge and the 21:50 return. 

Hope that helps Cheers Peter.

• 6 months later...

Hello there, it's been a while since I last posted but since some of the last discussion was about 33s at King's Lynn and I just picked my Heljan BR blue 33 up yesterday I thought I'd just post a couple of quick photographs.

I hope that you like them.

post-8918-0-47812500-1397401666_thumb.jpg

post-8918-0-55950800-1397401619_thumb.jpg

Regards

Mark

• 1 month later...

Amazing looking layout, bit surprised about the footbridge until I read it was removed before I was born! I go past this station on average 4 times a day 3 days a week when I am at college, very good too see this conception of how it might have looked like 30 years ago!

• 1 year later...

post-8918-0-49748000-1462048935_thumb.jpg

Well it had to be done, ordered as soon as I saw it had been announced.

47576 King's Lynn sits in King's Lynn station at the head of a London bound train.

Been a while since I posted, my limestone train now consists of three hoppers with another under construction at the moment.

I'm also building some engineer's wagons from kits to replace the old Lima seacows I have.

Mark

Thanks Russ, I followed the link to your thread last night and was very impressed by your modelling.

Some more photographs of King's Lynn:

post-8918-0-91922100-1462121781_thumb.jpg

A pair of twenties bring the aforementioned limestone hoppers in from the Peak District with limestone for the sugar factory. This was inspired by a photograph on page 19 of "The power of the twenties".

post-8918-0-14658800-1462121804_thumb.jpg

47576 again entering the station area.

post-8918-0-27087400-1462121843_thumb.jpg

47576 running round its train.

Does anybody have any tips for modelling the grease (?) patches that were always present on newly painted buffers?

I'm thinking of taking a spare buffer, covering it with a thick mix of dirty black paint and then just pressing it against the new buffer.

Regards

Mark

Archived