Based on King's Lynn

Mark P

Hello all,

I thought that I would try and put a little back as this forum has provided me with a lot of inspiration and information over the last two years as I have developed this model based on King's Lynn station and yard in the 1980s.

Indeed it was largely information gleaned on this website that I was able to build the two Campbell's PVA wagons.

I have tried to keep the station layout as close as possible to the actual prototype, but the yard area is much more freehand in order to allow as much operational interest in a small area as possible.

oo gauge track, all Peco code 100 as I was recycling from previous projects.

The main scenic area is approx 12'x3' and the layout runs in a U shape to a seven road traverser table capable of handling 5 MkII coaches.

I have also modelled the dock line, this reverses out of the yard and behind the scenic backdrop to a three road fiddle yard.

Operation is DCC with a Gaugemaster controller.

Stock is a mix of items likely to have worked the area at any time through the 80s so 03s are running alongside NSE liveried coaches although I do use this as an excuse to run most of the locos that I would have seen when 'spotting during the '80s.

post-8918-0-06935500-1332541757_thumb.jpg

This shows the view of the refuelling depot as seen from the pedestrian footbridge on Tennyson Avenue.

post-8918-0-78865100-1332541868_thumb.jpg

47003 crosses the level crossing bringing a British Industrial Sand train in from Middleton Towers.

post-8918-0-27601800-1332541963_thumb.jpg

46053 approaches the level crossing as it exits the yard with a Speedlink working to March.

Much still to be done with the station buildings hardly started.

I am also working on building up stock to be able to backdate the era to the late 1950s with a scenario whereby steam in the area did not disappear, the shed at King's Lynn was closed but South Lynn was retained and the station track-work simplified.

Hope that you find something of interest here and I'll post further updates as things progress.

Mark

Now that brings back some fine memories. We used to 'do' 47 fill in bashes to Kings Lynn on a Sunday when on a week long Anglia rover.

You've captured the feel of the station perfectly,frothy peaks working as well!!! More photos please, looks fabulous.

Dickie

I have used King's Lynn station many times, but do not remember the footbridge by the crossing.

When did the footbridge get removed.

Any chance of some pictures of the platform end of your layout.

Those are great photos. I love the way you have the perspective on the backscene beyond the level crossing. The stabling point looks excellent.

If you need an excuse to run two class 20s cab to cab, just to be different, this link is to a photo taken between Kings Lynn and Downham Market. It is the only one that I have seen with them running this way round for any distance.

I have no idea why it appears on the Italian Wiki site.

http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Class_20s_at_Stow.jpg

Many thanks for all of your comments and feedback.

In answer to Steve, yes the servicing shed is scratch built, however I made a mistake in that when I first started this project I couldn't find many photographs and assumed that the sides were solid metal siding. In fact they appear to be glass so at some point I will have to remedy this.

BobD, the footbridge went around 1990-1991 when the line was electrified (according to the Lynn and District forum).

Jonny777 the perspective was achieved by copying a still from Streetview, printing it out and then pasting it to the back scene. It looks better in the photographs than in reality but I will try and pursue this method further, I may be able to get a better result from actual photographs of Tennyson Avenue, I've just got to find the time to go down there and take some. In "Power of the 20s" there is a photograph of a pair of 20s about to work a limestone train from Wirksworth to King's Lynn, I think they also worked coal trains from Toton into the area, thanks for linking the photograph.

As requested I have taken a couple more photographs:

post-8918-0-39962600-1332610464_thumb.jpg

47572 Ely Cathedral has just arrived with a train from Liverpool Street. The back of the station buffet can be seen here, as I build the rest of the station the back scene will get covered up.

post-8918-0-32941600-1332610596_thumb.jpg

47572 has pushed its train back clear of the crossover and is now running round the train. It will be coupled back onto the London end of the train and then reverse the coaches back down to the buffers. I hope that this is the correct means for loco hauled passenger trains reversing at King's Lynn. From the photographs and video clips I have seen it is what appears to happen but if anybody knows differently please advise. A couple of test built supports for the canopy can be seen behind the coaches.

post-8918-0-58980100-1332610879_thumb.jpg

03066 takes a rake of HTV hoppers down to the docks for loading with imported coal that will be taken forward to Foxton (or even at one point I believe Wissington for the sugar beet factory).

I hope that you enjoy the photographs.

Mark

Hi Mark,

Nice layout, you can't beat a nice 1980s based terminus. :locomotive:

Instead of running round you could always use an 03 or 08 to shunt the stock to another platform thus releasing the train loco.

Cheers Peter.

I think that the use of prints of the real housing as backscenes is inspired, and the photo of 03066 shows that to great effect. In fact it is difficult to tell exactly where the model ends and the photograph starts. Also, with some commercially available backscenes it is easy to have the horizon set too low for normal viewing.

Certainly captures the atmosphere of Kings Lynn station. The backscene in the level crossong photo looks effective - did you take photos of the area and them scaled them down to 4mm?

XF

Hi,

Thanks for your feedback.

Yes I used an image of the actual area, Tennyson Avenue, and then pasted it to and blended it in to the commercial (Gaugemaster large housebacks) back scene.

Mark

• 2 weeks later...

I have spent most of my modelling time over the last two weeks constructing the first of the two semaphore signals required for the station.

I am hoping that the second kit will be easier to construct now I've had the practice.

post-8918-0-61641600-1333791301_thumb.jpg

A Derby lightweight (part of the 1950s stock) leaves King's Lynn with Dereham service.

Once the second signal is in place I intend to make a serious start on the station buildings and canopies, possibly with a bit of scratch building a steam heating van just to ring the changes.

Mark

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Great job! For anyone who's been to Lynn, no captions are necessary... you have recreated the scene so well. Jules summed it up perfectly... it is instantly recognisable!

I discovered this article whilst researching for photos of this stabling point. I have started planning an exhibition layout of this shed, that will operate in late 80's guise with BR blue and Network South East period stock. I model in O gauge, so space restrictions will limit me just to the shed roads.

I am looking for detail photos of the infrastructure and am particularly interested to hear from anyone who may have taken any photos that include the shed's plant buildings/fuel tanks/fuelling equip/water tower etc. from the footpath that ran parallel behind the shed.

(I think the Tennyson Avenue footbridge was demolished in 1989)

Colin

• 4 weeks later...

Just found this topic, nice layout. Any progress on the station buildings?

Just a quick question about the Campbells wagons - where did you get the transfers from?

Those are great photos. I love the way you have the perspective on the backscene beyond the level crossing. The stabling point looks excellent.

If you need an excuse to run two class 20s cab to cab, just to be different, this link is to a photo taken between Kings Lynn and Downham Market. It is the only one that I have seen with them running this way round for any distance.

I have no idea why it appears on the Italian Wiki site.

http://it.wikipedia....20s_at_Stow.jpg

Any model of Lynn in the 80's needs a pair of class 20's on a rake of HAA's . Also make sure the siding with the sand trucks in has a good covering of sand between the rails.

Regarding the 20's running nose first - I have to say my brother and I always thought we were partly responsible for this (even though we were only about 8 at the time) - we went to March depot on the Sunday for a look around and said to the foreman that we were going to watch the class 20's on the coal train the next day. There were 2 pairs of 20's there and he asked which pair we wanted to see - as one was in railfreight we asked for that pair and went down to see them in the Monday morning and what turned up -

scan0022.jpg

Hello to all,

I have the pair of twenties, both blue, but chose the earlier HTVs as these seem to have run to the various local sugar beet factories as well as to Foxton.

I am waiting to try and source some of the limestone wagons that were used on traffic to the Lynn sugar factory, there is a photograph of a pair of twenties on one of these workings in "The power of the 20s", I think that Wizard Models are about to release a suitable kit.

At some point I will go and get some of the necessary sand to put between the sleepers, another job to get around to and of course the real thing may not scale too well.

The Campbell's transfers are home made, I cropped a side on photograph of one of the wagons down to just the logo and printed the resulting image onto white transfer paper, effectively you get a red ink surround of the logo.

I applied this to the wagon side and then overpainted the red with the red paint I used on the rest of the wagon leaving the white lettering, then added weathering.

Main buildings and canopy are now nearly finished, still need some weathering on the canopy supports and to fix everything down, pics below.

post-8918-0-91416400-1340535488_thumb.jpg

post-8918-0-48111300-1340535567_thumb.jpg

post-8918-0-02405600-1340535632_thumb.jpg

Thanks again for comments, ideas and photographs.

Hi

This thread brings back some fond memories from my College days in Lynn, I love the picture that includes the old footbridge in an earlier post as I passed over that many a time. I always remember watching the shunting behind the tower block as well and of course the squeaky wheels.

Keep up the good work.

Jim

Archived