New OO gauge Class 73

Hi,

I have just received my new Dapol 73. I have fitted a Lenz Silver Direct 21 Pin Decoder. As well as the directional lighting issue already mentioned my cab lights are on and stay on. Can't seem to switch them off. Also I can't programme 7302 into the decoder as it comes up error 31. Apart from that I am very happy with the model. Any suggestions to fix the cab lights and loco address would me most welcome. Many thanks. I am using Lenz set 100.

Mark

Where is the Dapol rubbing plate.

Does it come with one?

Dave

Just opened my large logo blue one and the accessory bag does indeed contain the buffing plates along with couplings, (both scale and functional), and low level air pipes.

Edited by Hue Jarse

• RMweb Premium

Wait for them to go into the bargain bin and with the current glut of cheap air-cons yo can make a Gatwick Express rake without costing a fortune ;)

r.

Or paint it yellow........

Cheers,

Mick

Whilst my knowledge of the class 73s is next to nothing, my brother used to be really into the EDs. I remember when the Lima model was first released, he was very excited, and ended up buying quite a few of them! At the time it was a very good model and really captured the feel of a 73, in my opinion. But as mentioned previously I am not the best person to comment! He had quite a few of them
Now, even I am tempted by the Dapol 73! I always liked them in Inter City livery as warn by those used on the Gatwick Express services. 73102, does look nice even if they have used black instead of Executive Dark grey. However, a 73 doesn’t really fit in on Boxenby!
I am looking forward to seeing one in the flesh as it does look like a very nice model to me.

• Like 1

I am very tempted...

How does it run?

I'd be interested to hear.

Cheers,

Keith

I've only had a chance to give it a quick canter up and down the track and through points. It runs well. In my opinion, it's much better than the 22. Detail, livery application and running are all superior. I was waiting to see this before getting another but my reservations have vanished and I intend to order a JB on Monday. If the 68s and 59s are to this standard, I'm going to find it difficult to resist getting too many. I know I'm gushing a bit (sorry), which is odd because I'm quite difficult to please.

• Like 1

• Tempfix

Has anyone got their hands on one of the Pullman locos yet?

Not here yet according to Gaugemaster, they've told me they're due to arrive and be sent out before Christmas though. Would have liked to test 73102 today - Hattons dispatched it via Royal Mail next day tracked at 11am on Friday so naturally it has spent the last 36 hours in Warrington mail centre while it is 'processed'.

Rich

Not here yet according to Gaugemaster, they've told me they're due to arrive and be sent out before Christmas though. Would have liked to test 73102 today - Hattons dispatched it via Royal Mail next day tracked at 11am on Friday so naturally it has spent the last 36 hours in Warrington mail centre while it is 'processed'.

Rich

You've noticed that, have you? I get an e-mail from Hatton's telling me something has been sent but a day passes before Royal Mail admits to having it. Invicta sent me a JA yesterday, Royal Mail first class. It arrived today.

Dapol have advised on their website of a potential issue with the headlight operation being reversed when operating in DCC. I've copied their advice below:

We have found that on some OO Class 73 models, when used with DCC the locomotive headlights will operate in reverse.

If you experience this, then we suggest you  set CV 29 to an odd number i.e. Read CV 29, if even, then add 1 and re-program to that value. If the number is odd, then subtract 1 and re-program.

Alternatively, if you feel unsure of performing this yourself please contact Dapol on sales@Dapol.co.uk or 01691 774455 and we will make arrangements to have the necessary adjustments made.

To confirm, however, in DC operation the locomotive performs as it should do

Life is too short to worry about such things, if it looks like a 73 and runs well, that's me happy :)

Simon

My Lima 73 looks like a 73 and runs well. In addition, it looks magnificent in its royal livery. However, the Dapol 73 is so much superior that it raises happiness to delerium. Gushing again. Sorry.

• Like 2

maybe so, but i'm paying my hard earned cash for this loco, its a simple thing, so why should it not be in the proper place?

With "run" and "park" settings, you could vary the speed of the windscreen wiper and stop the blade without using the "park" setting. In fact, "park" often wouldn't work and the blade would just stop wherever it wanted on the windscreen. The air-operated wipers on all locos of that era were notoriously unreliable... it certainly wasn't confined to the ED. Can I suggest that on whatever Class 73 Dapol scanned or used as a basis for the model, one such wiper blade was not "parked" correctly. They no doubt modelled it as they found it. If that's the case, then it's not wrong at all.

If you don't like it, then simply "don't" pay your hard-earned cash for it. I'm sorry, but it really does sound like moaning for the sake of moaning.

Edited by Pete 75C
  • Like 1

With "run" and "park" settings, you could vary the speed of the windscreen wiper and stop the blade without using the "park" setting. In fact, "park" often wouldn't work and the blade would just stop wherever it wanted on the windscreen. In fact the air-operated wipers on all locos of that era were notoriously unreliable... it certainly wasn't confined to the ED. Can I suggest that on whatever Class 73 Dapol scanned or used as a basis for the model, one such wiper blade was not "parked" correctly. They no doubt modelled it as they found it. If that's the case, then it's not wrong at all.

If you don't like it, then simply "don't" pay your hard-earned cash for it. I'm sorry, but it really does sound like moaning for the sake of moaning.

That sounds like fun. I must e-mail Paul Chetter and Rail Exclusive.

With "run" and "park" settings, you could vary the speed of the windscreen wiper and stop the blade without using the "park" setting. In fact, "park" often wouldn't work and the blade would just stop wherever it wanted on the windscreen. The air-operated wipers on all locos of that era were notoriously unreliable... it certainly wasn't confined to the ED. Can I suggest that on whatever Class 73 Dapol scanned or used as a basis for the model, one such wiper blade was not "parked" correctly. They no doubt modelled it as they found it. If that's the case, then it's not wrong at all.

well its done for cost saving as it is 2 left hand wiper arm assemblies, as the second mans side is not a reverse of the drivers side. i'd like to see you fit one with the pantograph that way on the real loco, the drive spindle is the wrong side

• RMweb Premium

Morning all

I received my first of the long awaited models yesterday and whilst it is a great model of the prototype I can't help but be left disappointed by the colouring of the Inter-City livery.

post-6922-0-67871400-1449404659.jpg

73102 in all its glory but the livery just doesn't look right in my eyes.

Just to compare.

post-6922-0-80972300-1449404628.jpg

post-6922-0-15571700-1449404646.jpg

post-6922-0-44998800-1449404993.jpg

The 47 is a Heljan Galloway Princess that also was painted incorrectly in Black, but I have resprayed the upper body with Railmatch IC Executive grey which looks 'right' to me and has a brownish hue to it, and it also shows a difference in the lower colour too! Although the 47 has also been weathered a bit I think the difference is still obvious. Having spent so long getting this model to the shops, its a bit annoying that something as simple as a colour can't be got right. Not sure what I'm going to do, whether to respray the upper body again or just try weathering it and hope it looks better.

Disappointed of Tidworth!

Edited by Temeraire

well its done for cost saving as it is 2 left hand wiper arm assemblies, as the second mans side is not a reverse of the drivers side. i'd like to see you fit one with the pantograph that way on the real loco, the drive spindle is the wrong side

If you are really that worried, go and get some etched brass replacements. I wasn't particularly happy with my Dapol class 22's all having the wipers parked in the down position so I nicked them off with a scalpel and repositioned them with a dab of solvent.

Edited by Baby Deltic

Not sure what I'm going to do, whether to respray the upper body again or just try weathering it and hope it looks better.

Ian, maybe dirty it down a little and see what it looks like?