New OO gauge Class 73

• RMweb Gold

Well my green BR version has all its bits,looks the part and runs and hauls smoothly and efficiently ( DC analogue )..For £99 on eBay ( new ),I reckon I had value for money. But thenI suppose that's just my good fortune....

I saw a green one at Ian Allan in Manchester on Saturday, the first Dapol 73 I have seen 'in the flesh', and I must say it looked pretty impressive in the display stand, colour looked good, finish excellent, and no pointy-upwards buffers etc - of course no idea how it would run, but seeing it inclines me to save some more pennies to get a green one...

cheers,

Keith

• RMweb Premium

The dutch one on ebay that started at 50 quid and finishes tomorrow is at 84 quid. It's interesting to gauge what the public think one's worth; I guess around the 100 mark is about right at the moment.

:no:

:sungum:

Mick

Appears the BR Green 4D-006-004 has sold out at most major retailers. Might suggest it is a rather superb model after all!

This green one was the only JA type and Green (late steam era) type in general distribution. Its uniqueness and relatively correct livery doubtless contributed to it selling out first.

There is a second green JA (with yellow panels) in the Dapol collectors club but this limits availability and puts potential buyers in a position to join  a club they may not wish too nor even be aware of.

Both 73124 & 73135 are in the same BR Purple & Lemon livery. :mosking:

Cheers,

Phil.

Ok, thanks for that..

I was hoping but I'll get a Crompton instead..

Cheers..

This green one was the only JA type and Green (late steam era) type in general distribution. Its uniqueness and relatively correct livery doubtless contributed to it selling out first.

There is a second green JA (with yellow panels) in the Dapol collectors club but this limits availability and puts potential buyers in a position to join  a club they may not wish too nor even be aware of.

But at the price of joining the club and buying the loco still makes this on a par with the retailers discounted price of circa £120 for a standard release plus you get the other benefits of the club membership as well which is not that bad end of the day.

• 2 weeks later...

I bought a BR blue one in as new condition from Arcadia for around £55 - £60 (can't remember the exact price) but Tim had had six traded in still fresh in their boxes. Mine is 73124, and certainly looks the part to me. I bought it because at that price it was really good value for money for what was essentially a brand new un-run example. It's missing one of the four windscreen wipers (I will recheck the box for it at some point) but I hadn't noticed until I scrutinised it to post this reply). Certainly I'm more than happy with it at the price, and have no real complaints. I haven't run it yet though, as I've been so busy.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

I bought a BR blue one in as new condition from Arcadia for around £55 - £60 

Not a bad price for any new loco these days.  I guess the marginal utility of any item changes with price.  Of for those with no understanding of economics even something which is sometimes considered a lemon will become more attractive at a cheaper price.  

I posted the question to Dapol on their Facebook page about what they intend doing to correct the faulty PCB design for those who want replacements when they become available. That was back on Feb 26th, and they did answer some other questions but they have remained steadfastly silent on this issue, and seem to be hoping I'll go away and forget about it if they ignore me. I have posted again in that same thread on their Facebook page asking them to answer the question, and promising that I will take this further if they don't respond ... I will be contacting Consumer Affairs or whatever the department's name is nowadays. 

• RMweb Gold

Whilst you shouldn't have to do it yourself I have rewired the PC board as it was quicker and less hassle than waiting for them to respond or sort out.

It does mean that next time, I will wait till others have bought the locos and reviewed them before I do the same.

• RMweb Premium

Hi,

Just received an Email from Rails of Sheffield cancelling my order for a green Class 73 (Dapol DCC fitted Class 73 4D-006-004D), very disappointing.

All Rails would say is that they were no longer getting this item from Dapol and therefore had to cancel my order.

Can anyone shed any light on this?

Many thanks

Simon

Hi,

Just received an Email from Rails of Sheffield cancelling my order for a green Class 73 (Dapol DCC fitted Class 73 4D-006-004D), very disappointing.

All Rails would say is that they were no longer getting this item from Dapol and therefore had to cancel my order.

Can anyone shed any light on this?

Many thanks

Simon

Dapol website?

The green ones have sold out. There may have been a brief period when retailers could still get their hands on some after release.

Last year I ordered a Dapol 52 Western from a retailer who did not have any in stock - though Dapol at the time did. It took three months to come through which doubtless means an order for many Dapol items needs to built up first before sending.

Some you win, some you loose. It would surprise me if another run of green are schedule at some point in the next couple of years. Alternatively, call all the small retailers, there must be one still around somewhere.

• RMweb Gold

I think the consensus is they got the green right........

:O

Cheers,

Mick

My consensus is that my green one was right enough not to go back to the shop.  Appart from gluing back on the bits that fell off, having to paint some of the red bits black and some of the black bits red, along with isolating those rediculous "on all the time" cab lights, it was fine.

Oh, and I was also after the collectors club Green SYP special.  I sent an e-mail to the address on their website, as advertised.  They never replied.  Dapol did me a favour there as I'm now glad that I didn't blow my hard-earned £o££€¥ on another one. :devil:

• RMweb Gold

saw E6001 (Green / half yellow ends) on a layout at Ally Pally today... couldn't find anything wrong with it...had sound fitted too.

You'd not find anything wrong with mine NOW either. ;)   Clearly, if it has sound the owner has done some work on it.

Edited by Phatbob

Has anyone had faulty class 73's returned from repair by Dapol (DCC supplies) yet? I sent back two in January and have heard absolutely nothing since. They must be in league with Humax (manufacturer of tv set top boxes). Anything sent back to them just disappears into a 'black hole of denial'.