New OO gauge Class 73

Has anyone had faulty class 73's returned from repair by Dapol (DCC supplies) yet? I sent back two in January and have heard absolutely nothing since. They must be in league with Humax (manufacturer of tv set top boxes). Anything sent back to them just disappears into a 'black hole of denial'.

Best put a firm letter in the post, to be signed for, giving they a week to return your property fully repaired or you will instigate other action to recover them, then have them repaired at Dapol's cost, and seek compensation in a small claims court. The assumption I am making is they are new under G/tee, and bought from Dapol, if they were bought from a retailer then you should have taken them to the dealer to send them back. If out of G/tee then you are still entitled to reasonable repair times and Dapol should give you a written estimate of cost and time.

Stephen.

• RMweb Gold

Has anyone had faulty class 73's returned from repair by Dapol (DCC supplies) yet? I sent back two in January and have heard absolutely nothing since. They must be in league with Humax (manufacturer of tv set top boxes). Anything sent back to them just disappears into a 'black hole of denial'.

Have you contacted DCC Supplies yourself yet ?

I did not realise the "DCC supplies" referred to a retailer, but as it turns out it does, then all returns should be via the retailer that sold the item, to claim it under G/tee etc. Only if a retailer refuses to deal with it, or has gone out of business, should you contact the manufacturer. It affects your rights as a consumer if you go direct.

This advice is UK only, US rules are totally different for instance, where manufacturers deal with repairs direct. In the UK the only port of call is the retailer that sells it. You must stick to this, or risk invalidating yours consumer rights. Never part with any repair without a signed receipt being issued by the shop, and request a time period to expect to be added to the receipt. They can put unknown time of course, but it must be written down to prevent miss understandings.

The advice is for everybody, as people are still confuses as to who to deal with, especially on internet purchases etc, but the law is clear, it is the seller that you deal with.

Stephen.

Edited by bertiedog

Really really disappointed with my 73 . I have had to completely dismantle it and add sensible pick ups to get it to run properly . I'm not sure what Dapol were thinking with the pick up design . I also wasn't impressed having to re-wire it to get the lights operating properly . The cab lights not being controllable via a DCC function was disappointing . It's a shame as they are nice looking models . I did want a second one , but I'm really put off . It's made me a bit nervous of pre ordering the 68 & 59 which I was really looking forward too !

It’s a shame you’re disappointed. I like my two, which run well, despite there being shortcomings. However, I hope that Dapol doesn’t repeat such shortcomings in the 68s and 59s. If that happens, I shall feel very let down. I have wanted a 59 for a very long time and haven’t bought a Hornby one as I felt an up-to-date model of such an important locomotive was bound to appear.

I had thought of getting the Gaugemaster Pullman versions. Knowing of issues/potential issues and being overseas I don't think I will bother. Postage costs would just not make it worth my while if I was not happy. Shame really, guess I'll keep my eyes peeled for the Hornby versions. 

So....I am still waiting for my Collector's Club version of this loco. I am right at the end of my tether with this. 

I joined the Dapol Collector's Club in December last year, placing my order for membership on the Dapol website. I rang and placed an order for the loco shortly thereafter, and provided credit card details.

Numerous times I have chased them, and numerous times I was advised the model would be on its way to me soon. But nothing. 

They haven't even sent me my membership pack!

Is this some kind of joke Dapol?

I hope someone from their senior management sees this because I am just utterly fed up with the company at this moment in time.

I paid £25 for a collectors club membership and they still have not sent me a membership pack!

I paid for a loco - the main reason I joined the club - and still have not received it!

I rang earlier this week - Monday to be precise - and spoke to Nicola again, she took my card details (again) and I requested the loco be shipped on Wednesday for delivery to me on Thursday. 

Then nothing. 

Again.

I emailed the club on Wednesday pm when it became apparent the loco had not been despatched (I checked my account and no payment taken) asking for an update. Guess what? It's now Friday and NO REPLY.

Dapol : If you're going to set up a collector's club for cryin' out loud do it properly.

I cannot understand why something so simple as sending out a membership pack and a loco - BOTH OF WHICH I PAID FOR OVER 4 MONTHS AGO - appears to be proving such a monumental challenge to your organisation.

From where I am sitting you either: 

1. You have the wrong people running it

or

2. You should forget the idea and offer limited edition models to retailers who know how to process a bloody order.

Seriously miffed now.

What is the name of their MD?

:angry:  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:

Edited by southernelectric

So....I am still waiting for my Collector's Club version of this loco. I am right at the end of my tether with this. 

I joined the Dapol Collector's Club in December last year, placing my order for membership on the Dapol website. I rang and placed an order for the loco shortly thereafter, and provided credit card details.

Numerous times I have chased them, and numerous times I was advised the model would be on its way to me soon. But nothing. 

They haven't even sent me my membership pack!

Is this some kind of joke Dapol?

I hope someone from their senior management sees this because I am just utterly fed up with the company at this moment in time.

I paid £25 for a collectors club membership and they still have not sent me a membership pack!

I paid for a loco - the main reason I joined the club - and still have not received it!

I rang earlier this week - Monday to be precise - and spoke to Nicola again, she took my card details (again) and I requested the loco be shipped on Wednesday for delivery to me on Thursday. 

Then nothing. 

Again.

I emailed the club on Wednesday pm when it became apparent the loco had not been despatched (I checked my account and no payment taken) asking for an update. Guess what? It's now Friday and NO REPLY.

Dapol : If you're going to set up a collector's club for cryin' out loud do it properly.

I cannot understand why something so simple as sending out a membership pack and a loco - BOTH OF WHICH I PAID FOR OVER 4 MONTHS AGO - appears to be proving such a monumental challenge to your organisation.

From where I am sitting you either: 

1. You have the wrong people running it

or

2. You should forget the idea and offer limited edition models to retailers who know how to process a bloody order.

Seriously miffed now.

What is the name of their MD?

:angry:  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:

Try trading standards?

About par for the course talking to both retailers and other modellers you are not the only one who has been kept waiting with no information. I would pester both Dapol and DCC Supplies [ if you can get through on the phone that is}

Try trading standards?

It had occurred to me. Will they take me seriously over an order totalling not much more than £100? I would hope so but it's a lot of hassle and inconvenience isn't it? We're talking about a model loco and a membership pack. How hard can it be to send them out?????

Even better....contact your c.c.provider for advice,especially if you used it to purchase membership.

Paid for membership by PayPal.....can't believe I'm having to go to all this trouble to get something I should have received months ago....the payment for the loco hasn't come out yet.

• RMweb Premium

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dapol

Joel Bright is their Managing Director.

Before you vent in his direction it's worth remembering that you, as you say yourself, have not yet paid for the locomotive as PayPal hasn't processed the transaction.  So all you're actually missing is a membership pack.  While waiting for any item of rolling stock can be frustrating it's worth bearing in mind also that many of us have waited far longer for other (non-Dapol) items and in some cases have paid for them already because either they are crowd-source funded or the retailer we chose charges, when perhaps they should not, when the order is placed.  

By all means express your frustration.  I'm sure many share it.  Dapol won't get much more custom from me for example because their recent products fall to bits and have basic errors which should have been picked up by efficient quality control but seemingly were not.  Once bitten twice shy.  Especially when parting with well above £100.

• Like 2

It had occurred to me. Will they take me seriously over an order totalling not much more than £100? I would hope so but it's a lot of hassle and inconvenience isn't it? We're talking about a model loco and a membership pack. How hard can it be to send them out?????

Point them in the direction of this and similar forums; there's a lot of complaining with little effective direct action it seems?

• RMweb Gold

Dapol seems to use Facebook to communicate news etc so another idea would be to leave a comment on their page outlining the saga your going through. Companies really don't like being made to look bad on social media, the more reasonable you make youself look, the worse they look.

The inability of some companies to get these most basic procedures correct baffles me to the point that if I encounter it now, I just immediately don't bother to complete the transaction. I had something similar recently with a telecoms provider and it was only because I'd taken a copy of all screens during the online application process that I eventually got the package I had been promised; I had to tell them what packages they were selling though!

Dapol should have a much easier task here though as it's a straightforward transaction for two items. I should have several 73s running around my layout by now (check out my username!), but I have little confidence in the product or the company, so my money is staying with me for now.

Can't add much more of practical help to southernelectric to what's already been said.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dapol

Joel Bright is their Managing Director.

Before you vent in his direction it's worth remembering that you, as you say yourself, have not yet paid for the locomotive as PayPal hasn't processed the transaction.  So all you're actually missing is a membership pack.  While waiting for any item of rolling stock can be frustrating it's worth bearing in mind also that many of us have waited far longer for other (non-Dapol) items and in some cases have paid for them already because either they are crowd-source funded or the retailer we chose charges, when perhaps they should not, when the order is placed.  

By all means express your frustration.  I'm sure many share it.  Dapol won't get much more custom from me for example because their recent products fall to bits and have basic errors which should have been picked up by efficient quality control but seemingly were not.  Once bitten twice shy.  Especially when parting with well above £100.

I paid for the membership via PayPal back in December. 4 months and still nothing. I gave card details over the phone for the loco as there was no option to purchase the collector's club model off the website.

I am more concerned about missing out on the loco though. It's a farce!

My card details have been given to the person who runs the club twice now. The loco was IN STOCK at Dapol in December when I joined the collector's club but stock is depleting apparently, according to someone I spoke to in the warehouse recently.

So some people MUST be getting their collector's club model but why not me?

I have a couple of DJModels Class 71's on pre-order paid for upfront so I understand the whole crowd sourcing thing, but this is different. This is a collector's club model that was (and still is) in stock at the time I ordered it. I should not have to keep chasing Dapol for it - despite them telling me numerous times back in January that "it will be with you soon" I got nothing. And emails I have sent since have been ignored.

Not a good way to run a business is it?

Dapol seems to use Facebook to communicate news etc so another idea would be to leave a comment on their page outlining the saga your going through. Companies really don't like being made to look bad on social media, the more reasonable you make youself look, the worse they look.

Don't do facebook so that's not an option...

Point them in the direction of this and similar forums; there's a lot of complaining with little effective direct action it seems?

With all due respect....why should the onus be on me to spend time taking action against them for something they have messed up?

Why is their incompetence and inability to process a very simple order now my problem?

They had my order, given in good faith, and in the case of membership they already have my money. Yet they have spent the last 4 months failing to fulfill it. It's incompetence at its worst.

I will point them in the direction of these posts for sure....but all the emails I've sent them so far chasing them for an ETA on the loco, and the most recent one I sent on Wednesday whereby I politely made it clear I was extremely fed up with this whole saga, have got me nowhere.

We are talking about a membership pack and a model loco. One simple order for two items. Card details for the loco purchase given to them twice now.

I am baffled as to how something so straightforward can end up being such a complete and utter fiasco.

Sorry, but Dapol has absolutely NO excuse to carry on like this.

With all due respect....why should the onus be on me to spend time taking action against them for something they have messed up?

Why is their incompetence and inability to process a very simple order now my problem?

They had my order, given in good faith, and in the case of membership they already have my money. Yet they have spent the last 4 months failing to fulfill it. It's incompetence at its worst.

I will point them in the direction of these posts for sure....but all the emails I've sent them so far chasing them for an ETA on the loco, and the most recent one I sent on Wednesday whereby I politely made it clear I was extremely fed up with this whole saga, have got me nowhere.

We are talking about a membership pack and a model loco. One simple order for two items. Card details for the loco purchase given to them twice now.

I am baffled as to how something so straightforward can end up being such a complete and utter fiasco.

Sorry, but Dapol has absolutely NO excuse to carry on like this.

Suggest you contact your local trading standards.

Why not email Joel Bright directly? joel@Dapol.co.uk

Ask for a read receipt if your mail software has the feature. Be calm and polite but firmly address what your expectations are and give a timescale by which you'd like a response.

• RMweb Gold

My experience with Dapol is that they don't reply whoever you email.

I have a lot of Dapol products yet they don't seem to care and in future I will be buying far less of their products.

I get more response from the other manufacturers.