New OO gauge Class 73

1 minute ago, wirey33 said:

If anyone gets their hands on one of these latest versions, would they care to comment about the pick-up issues, the livery applications and any other info that would keep my wallet a bit fuller than I fear it may become?

Also, please comment/review the lighting on DC and DCC if you can. Have they turned off the cab lights that were permanently on on the earlier releases?

Like wirey33, I don't want to part with my money unless they have fixed the previous issues.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, newbryford said:

What's a "training cab"?

:jester::jester:

Yes, I know it's a typo.

It's the opposite of a "leaning" cab light, which Dapol don't seem to have provided!!  The nearest I have had to one of those was the upside down cab/marker lights on a Heljan Metropolitan Bo-Bo. :D

3 hours ago, Hastings Thumper said:

The instructions talk about a V2 PCB.  There is also a list of various switches to control the headcodes and cab lighting. I haven't got a 73 from the original release so can't compare with this version.

Thanks for this, it answers one of my main questions. The original PCB didn't have any switches at all.

From the pictures the NSE version looks like the roof is too light.  Shouldn't it be a far darker grey?

The SWT and Southern versions look fantastic to me but I wonder how well they will sell. They don't have the flexibility that others have in terms of use.    

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, kintbury jon said:

From the pictures the NSE version looks like the roof is too light.  Shouldn't it be a far darker grey?

The SWT and Southern versions look fantastic to me but I wonder how well they will sell. They don't have the flexibility that others have in terms of use.    

Easy to model as a train, most of the first 20 hits on google its running light engine. 

The rest are a bit harder as there mostly with a 442.

ive seen it many times, its always parked on Stewarts Lane, and if on an Overground from Clapham towards Wandsworth road you get a brief glimpse through the arches.

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, kintbury jon said:

Easy to model as a train, most of the first 20 hits on google its running light engine. 

The rest are a bit harder as there mostly with a 442.

ive seen it many times, its always parked on Stewarts Lane, and if on an Overground from Clapham towards Wandsworth road you get a brief glimpse through the arches.

On 11/07/2019 at 11:03, SRman said:

Also, please comment/review the lighting on DC and DCC if you can. Have they turned off the cab lights that were permanently on on the earlier releases?

Like wirey33, I don't want to part with my money unless they have fixed the previous issues.

Pick up performance definitely improved in comparison with earlier releases. Although still need rigorous running in (like the 121s) and struggles initially unless track has been cleaned thoroughly before use. No cab lights at all but still no red tail light. I am summarising the NSE version on DC. Paintwork & detail superb.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, kintbury jon said:

Keeping an eye on stock levels at various online retailers and the SWT 73 seems to be selling very well! Hattons down to their last one already.

Hopefully Clive at AC Models Eastleigh has it in stock for me to collect tomorrow.

• RMweb Gold

I have ordered the Southern one as it will get the nameplates of our late friend Graham as fitted when we were at the naming ceremony in Brighton Depot with his family and work Colleagues back in December 2015. I know of a few of us who will be getting this loco so we may have a mutliple headed lash up of the same loco when Star Lane is next out!

I will wait to see how well it runs before deciding whether it add the extra pickups that I added to the first batch green model as per Newbybryfords post some time ago.

• Friendly/supportive 2

On 14/03/2019 at 18:33, mikesndbs said:

Hmm just tested it and it runs like :( grinding noise and stalls as if wheels are dirty (don't seem to be) have I got yet another bad model?

These locos all have non conductive grease in the axles, thus no proper electrical pickup.  Remove the keeper plate, de-grease the wheelsets completely then lightly oil with 'Electrically Conductive Oil'.

Charlie

Edited by charliepetty
correction
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

On 13/07/2019 at 14:16, roundhouse said:

I have ordered the Southern one as it will get the nameplates of our late friend Graham as fitted when we were at the naming ceremony in Brighton Depot with his family and work Colleagues back in December 2015.

Hi Roundhouse,

To my surprise I picked 202 up yesterday. I'd like to do it as running at the moment, that is with nameplates in green and without the red stripe or Gatwick logo. I can't find anyone who does the nameplates for 202 as Graham. Also have you found anyone who does the Southern logo? The Dapol one isn't in the right place for the current 202.

Thanks,

Luke

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
22 minutes ago, luke_stevens said:

Hi Roundhouse,

To my surprise I picked 202 up yesterday. I'd like to do it as running at the moment, that is with nameplates in green and without the red stripe or Gatwick logo. I can't find anyone who does the nameplates for 202 as Graham. Also have you found anyone who does the Southern logo? The Dapol one isn't in the right place for the current 202.

Thanks,

Luke

I am going to try Narrow Planet to do the plates for us but yet to ask them. I have had their nameplates for LYN.

Not sure who does the Southern logos.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, roundhouse said:

Good evening or good morning to most.

Drinking Dead Guy Live from Newport

20190714_194228.jpg.d19389798365b129989fa78e117d4ced.jpg

That's Rogue Dead Guy Ale in Newport Oregon

2019-07-14_19_49_23.jpg.4a6f5ef4ab1fc474ea4a6b90a72e3c17.jpg

I admit, I didn't get it ?

by chance was this mean for a forum relating to a different subject but the glass in the picture interfered with the interface that was updating the forum ?

:-)

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, adb968008 said:

I admit, I didn't get it ?

by chance was this mean for a forum relating to a different subject but the glass in the picture interfered with the interface that was updating the forum ?

:-)

Apologies, yes menat for a different thread. Deleted it now

Is the motor a proper wound core jobbie, or one of 'Dave's faves'?

I did search, to no avail, but apologies if this has come up before.

Edited by truffy

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, letterspider said:

Has anyone purchased the Network Rail yellow version? I'm not sure about the colours of the photos on Olivias Trains website, when they are compared to the Hattons website - which 'looks right' to me.

The photos that are currently on the Hattons site of 73212 are of the pre-production sample.  The ones on the Olivias site are the production version.

• Agree 1