New OO gauge Class 73

Well, it appears that Dapol have cracked the problems that plagued earlier models - no reports yet of grinding/dead zones/bits dropping off.  Fingers crossed.

I haven't seen one in the flesh yet, so can't comment on the 010/014 early models shade of green.  As I recall, from my vantage point above Gravesend West Street station, the early batch were painted the same green as the class 71 E5000's and that at least two* had the yellow-green band (as with the Hymeks) rather than light grey, and that initially at least, the first two had no band at all!  Spotting one loco shunting on a Saturday morning gave you a lot of time to study whichever was the loco-of-the-day!

Unfortunately, published data and colour photographs of the first year are not too prevalent or detailed. I can always repaint mine whichever livery I choose!

*E6003 & E6004. Photos ex-works at Eastleigh

Edited by Chuffed 1
Just acquired relevant photos.

• RMweb Premium

Yellow can fade quite badly depending upon where/when/how it was applied.

As for 73212 - various pictures show different levels and the angle/lighting also makes a huge difference. (Yellow, like red, doesn't seem to photograph too well and pictures taken at the same time can appear to be different shades)

This one shows patch painting (of what appears to be NR bodyside yellow) around the headlight.

What does seem out on the Olivias version

https://www.oliviastrains.com/trains/mt/Dapol-oo-gauge/Dapol-oo-gauge-diesels/Dapol-class-73-oo-gauge-locomotives/Dapol-oliv005-class-73212-in-network-rail-livery/#gallery-3

is that the full front is a different yellow whereas the prototype is only 1/2 panel of safety yellow. The  number font also looks a bit odd as well as the NwR logo looking a tad large.

73212 Clapham 170209

From a quick check through photos, the model roof looks a bit too light, but having said that, there are at least two shades of grey roof over 73212's yellow livery lifetime.

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

Delivered from Hattons just now! As local shop could not get stock.

So far it looks good, no major paint errors and colours look OK. I will remove the grease as recommended by Charlie, re-oil it properly and run it in under DC. Maybe pickups will need replacing per other comments, but my fingers are crossed.

On 16/07/2019 at 00:06, newbryford said:

What does seem out on the Olivias version

https://www.oliviastrains.com/trains/mt/Dapol-oo-gauge/Dapol-oo-gauge-diesels/Dapol-class-73-oo-gauge-locomotives/Dapol-oliv005-class-73212-in-network-rail-livery/#gallery-3

is that the full front is a different yellow whereas the prototype is only 1/2 panel of safety yellow. The  number font also looks a bit odd as well as the NwR logo looking a tad large.

Yes but this photo shows all the same colour on the front 73212rtc.jpg

BTW why am I suddenly on moderations approval?

• Moderators
6 minutes ago, Edward Blue said:

BTW why am I suddenly on moderations approval?

Because of an earlier incorrect libellous comments which resulted in a complaint.

And that image isn't the same yellow all-over.

6 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

Because of an earlier incorrect libellous comments which resulted in a complaint.

And that image isn't the same yellow all-over.

I won't argue, but libellous is rather strong. I only know the reason I was given when the shop involved declined my purchase.

Back to railways. Examining the picture/link I posted again and cannot see any difference in the yellow front panel, from roof to rubbing plate it looks the same, unlike the earlier posting by newbryford, which clearly shows two colours. Simply suggesting that it depends on which reference material Dapol used and either could be correct. However I will consider myself corrected and also colour vision impaired ;)

4 hours ago, Edward Blue said:

Examining the picture/link I posted again and cannot see any difference in the yellow front panel, from roof to rubbing plate it looks the same, unlike the earlier posting by newbryford, which clearly shows two colours.

Agreed, full yellow front-end on the latter photo whilst half-yellow lower half on the previous.

On 16/07/2019 at 00:06, newbryford said:

The  number font also looks a bit odd as well as the NwR logo looking a tad large.  From a quick check through photos, the model roof looks a bit too light, but having said that, there are at least two shades of grey roof over 73212's yellow livery lifetime.

Agreed the number font looks strange.  The roof on the model appears to be white.  Does anyone know the correct shade for the roof grey, it looks way too light to be Network Rail grey?

cheers

Al

Edited by YesTor

On ‎12‎/‎07‎/‎2019 at 20:09, kintbury jon said:

From the pictures the NSE version looks like the roof is too light.  Shouldn't it be a far darker grey?

The SWT and Southern versions look fantastic to me but I wonder how well they will sell. They don't have the flexibility that others have in terms of use.    

'Should'nt it be a far darker grey?'   ……..um, no I don't think so, im pretty sure it should be black!

• RMweb Gold
32 minutes ago, GEARJAMMER said:

'Should'nt it be a far darker grey?'   ……..um, no I don't think so, im pretty sure it should be black!

Only if you mean “light black” ;-)

It was grey (not my photo)

I see the EWS version also has a livery error in that the bodyside gold band has been incorrectly painted warning yellow.

I don't know why Dapol seem to struggle so much to get the colours right on the 73s. There are at least 4 I would have bought if they had been correct.

• Agree 2

And also they still all have the incorrect 73/0 sandboxes as well (except the original 73) and no "T-airiels" .. why?! (I know itll raise the prices up a little bit more because of tolling costs) but considering these models are now nearly £150 I think they should of at least address these errors also

NL 

18 hours ago, WILLIAM said:

I see the EWS version also has a livery error in that the bodyside gold band has been incorrectly painted warning yellow.

I don't know why Dapol seem to struggle so much to get the colours right on the 73s. There are at least 4 I would have bought if they had been correct.

I was thinking of ordering and EWS one, they seem to have got it right on the N gauge version , you would think it wouldn't take much to replicate the same in OO?

Just looking for some quick advice. I've got 73109 NSE running on DC. It runs fine and the headlight works in both directions. As it was run in further, the headcode blind lights came on both the front and rear which was a nice surprise. However these have now gone off again. The instructions are a bit ambiguous but generally point to switches on the PCB but I am reluctant to take the body shell off to negate warranty if I break something (which is quite possible). I will discuss with my model shop to see if they can shed any light on why the lights came on and then went back off (maybe the heat?) but wondered if this has happened to anyone else and if so what their advice/solution would be.

Thanks

• RMweb Premium

If the new batch are like the originals, then the blind and end lights are connected via plungers between body and chassis. (Although IMO - they are pretty reliable - far superior to the springs on some Hornby and contacts on Bachmann models...…)

Try waggling the body slightly to see if that helps them contact

Edited by newbryford
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Winter123 said:

Just looking for some quick advice. I've got 73109 NSE running on DC. It runs fine and the headlight works in both directions. As it was run in further, the headcode blind lights came on both the front and rear which was a nice surprise. However these have now gone off again. The instructions are a bit ambiguous but generally point to switches on the PCB but I am reluctant to take the body shell off to negate warranty if I break something (which is quite possible). I will discuss with my model shop to see if they can shed any light on why the lights came on and then went back off (maybe the heat?) but wondered if this has happened to anyone else and if so what their advice/solution would be.

Thanks

Having now received my Southern liveried 73 202 from Amanda Jane Models, I agree the instructions are very poor.

The body lifts off easily after undoing the four screws, one at each corner behind the buffer beams. The switches are easily accessed with the body off.

Mine was run-in on DC, so, apart from making sure all lights were working, I didn't initially make any adjustments, preferring to wait until I fitted a decoder. Once I fitted a decoder, a Dapol Imperium one, I tested again with the body off and set all the parameters I wanted to, then put the body on with no screws, and tested the lighting functions. All lights still worked, but not quite as I would like, with the directional headlights and cablights coming on simultaneously on F0, while the headcodes worked independently on functions 1 and 2. I eventually worked out that moving the three-position switch to the centre position fixed this (no thanks to their instruction sheet!), so now I had the following functions:
F0 = headlights, directionally working

F1 = headcode at #2 end 

F2 = headcode at #1 end

F3 = cab light at #2 end

F4 = cab light at #1 end.

All my other class 73s (Dapol and Hornby ex-Lima) treat the radiator end as #1 end, treated as forwards for DCC purposes. This one treats the #2 (non-radiator) end as forwards. I will swap that so it follows the usual convention as per the other models (changing CV29). I may also swap the function allocations to reflect that, so the lower numbered function of each pair operates the #1 end lights. This will be more easily accomplished using JMRI Decoder Pro on the computer.

Anyway, here is 73 202 with headlight and headcode lights on but cab lights off.

48379585382_42e19ab53b_b.jpg
P_20190726_210720_vHDR_On by Jeffrey Lynn, on Flickr

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 3

10 hours ago, SRman said:

Having now received my Southern liveried 73 202 from Amanda Jane Models, I agree the instructions are very poor.

The body lifts off easily after undoing the four screws, one at each corner behind the buffer beams. The switches are easily accessed with the body off.

Mine was run-in on DC, so, apart from making sure all lights were working, I didn't initially make any adjustments, preferring to wait until I fitted a decoder. Once I fitted a decoder, a Dapol Imperium one, I tested again with the body off and set all the parameters I wanted to, then put the body on with no screws, and tested the lighting functions. All lights still worked, but not quite as I would like, with the directional headlights and cablights coming on simultaneously on F0, while the headcodes worked independently on functions 1 and 2. I eventually worked out that moving the three-position switch to the centre position fixed this (no thanks to their instruction sheet!), so now I had the following functions:

F1 = headcode at #2 end 

F2 = headcode at #1 end

F3 = cab light at #2 end

All my other class 73s (Dapol and Hornby ex-Lima) treat the radiator end as #1 end, treated as forwards for DCC purposes. This one treats the #2 (non-radiator) end as forwards. I will swap that so it follows the usual convention as per the other models (changing CV29). I may also swap the function allocations to reflect that, so the lower numbered function of each pair operates the #1 end lights. This will be more easily accomplished using JMRI Decoder Pro on the computer.

Anyway, here is 73 202 with headlight and headcode lights on but cab lights off.

Thanks for that useful information. I also have the southern rail 73 and wasn't keen on the cab light coming on with the directional lighting. So its good to know it can be turned off. When i get round to fitting a dcc chip I'll be sure to do the same. 

Many thanks Gary

• Friendly/supportive 1

On ‎27‎/‎07‎/‎2019 at 12:17, SRman said:

F1 = headcode at #2 end 

F2 = headcode at #1 end

F3 = cab light at #2 end

So what kind of work would Southern use this loco for? Very nice livery.

1 hour ago, stock_2007 said:

So what kind of work would Southern use this loco for? Very nice livery.

I believe it was a "Thunderbird", used to rescue failed EMUs (or other stock), but also on occasional engineering train duties too. The latter is what mine will be up to. Eventually, I may buy a Southern liveried class 455 or 456 from Bratchell Models to form 'companion' trains for this locomotive, seeing as it is a little bit of a 'loner' on my layout at present. I do have some South West Trains EMUs, which are contemporary, so the Southern ED won't look entirely out of place.

• RMweb Gold
12 hours ago, SRman said:

It still is.

If you travel from Clapham jn to Wandsworth rd on Overground, and sit on the right side, you can often see it in between the arches at Stewarts Lane.

it might belong to Southern...but if a 442 was to fail north of Woking, this is the only loco in the area, unless something is sourced from WCRC, Wembley, Acton, Eastleigh or a cl57 from Reading.

indeed astonishing to think this 73 (and 35028) are the only 2 mainline locos that live in Zone 1&2 of London (+2 08’s art WN) and the only 2 mainline locos on the Southern Region between London & south to Eastleigh, west to Exeter and as far East as whatever maybe sitting in Tonbridge or Hoo Junction..... imagine the chaos if say the thrice weekly 66 from Tolworth failed crossing the 4 lines at Wimbledon...2 hours at least for rescue..1 train every 30 secs or so passing here ?

Edited by adb968008
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Indeed your post spiked my interest to see when its being used and...

Friday..

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/O27783/2019/08/02/advanced

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/O27784/2019/08/02/advanced

Which lead me to this working tonight...

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/O26590/2019/08/04/advanced

so I may waddle on to South Croydon to have gander tonight..

seen here 2 days ago at Bognor (not my video) no Recording equipment apparent, only 2 crew and running on diesel, I dont know if this was just a jolly to give it a turn or a familiarisation run for the crew, but most pictures of 73202 on the network the past few years show it running as a typical LE wandering lonely around the network without a train to pull...look how clean the buffers are..not much touches them.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

seen here 2 days ago at Bognor (not my video) no Recording equipment apparent, only 2 crew and running on diesel, I dont know if this was just a jolly to give it a turn or a familiarisation run for the crew

It was stabled at Three Bridges this weekend as thunderbird, given the extra traffic caused by the Brighton Pride event.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Simon Bendall said:

It was stabled at Three Bridges this weekend as thunderbird, given the extra traffic caused by the Brighton Pride event.

Thanks for that.

i’d almost want a failure now, to get some rare haulage !

Its Noble that they positioned it for that, I was wondering why it didnt just head back up to London from Bognor, but i’m sure a gbrf 73 Could be hired in for this, like with the SE class 465 prm fitting jobs every weekend to ilford,  it seems a bit of a wasted asset really... has it pulled anything since 2017’s gatex moves ? I’m guessing its next job will be 313 disposals in a few years ?

but if anything did break down on the Brighton mainline, how would it rescue it ? Everything has dellners, but does it ?

Edited by adb968008

4 hours ago, adb968008 said:

has it pulled anything since 2017’s gatex moves ? I’m guessing its next job will be 313 disposals in a few years ?

but if anything did break down on the Brighton mainline, how would it rescue it ? Everything has dellners, but does it ?

Moved the Hastings set to/from Ramsgate back in June http://www.flickr.com/photos/pksphotography/4807595003  There's portable Dellner couplings available for rescues.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

On ‎14‎/‎07‎/‎2019 at 18:07, roundhouse said:

I am going to try Narrow Planet to do the plates for us but yet to ask them. I have had their nameplates for LYN.

Not sure who does the Southern logos.

Hi were you able to get the name plates, I've just picked 202 up as I really like the livery and would like to run it as it is today.:crazy_mini: