New OO gauge Class 73

7 hours ago, stock_2007 said:

Hi were you able to get the name plates, I've just picked 202 up as I really like the livery and would like to run it as it is today.:crazy_mini:

I was wondering how long it ran with the red 'Graham Stenning' plates?

Just so you aware it is no longer in the exact livery of the Dapol model. When it went to the Ramsgate Open Day earlier this spring it had the red stripe painted out and changed into the light grey. It also had the "Gatwick Express" logo removed and the Southern logo moved. I think that is when the plates went from red to green but I'm not sure.

Luke

• 2 months later...

I've a curious problem with my Southern liveried 73. It has an ESU LokSound v5 chip but that is the only modification made to the loco. The DIP switches have not been altered.

When I turn the headlamp on using F0 and then drive the loco forwards, it goes in the opposite direction to where the headlamp is showing. I've changed the driving direction (CV29) but this does not correct the problem. I've also done a reset of the chip (CV8).

Any suggestions would be appreciated...

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Harry Lime said:

I've a curious problem with my Southern liveried 73. It has an ESU LokSound v5 chip but that is the only modification made to the loco. The DIP switches have not been altered.

When I turn the headlamp on using F0 and then drive the loco forwards, it goes in the opposite direction to where the headlamp is showing. I've changed the driving direction (CV29) but this does not correct the problem. I've also done a reset of the chip (CV8).

Turn it around. :P

sorry, couldn’t resist.

cheers

Phil.

• RMweb Premium
On 27/10/2019 at 11:27, Harry Lime said:

Hi Chris

I'm guessing it will be the same as both my first issue 73s and easiest to swap the motor wires over to cure.

• Thanks 1

On 27/10/2019 at 11:27, Harry Lime said:

Hi,

Is it a Legomanbiffo Loksoumd decoder? They have been programmed  to correct the fault on the first batch where the lights were wired back to front in DCC. It might be that the Decoder is ‘reversing’ the lights to try and correct a fault which isn’t there?

For the record, I ran a pair of first batch and a pair of second batch 73s on Norwood Road a couple of weekends ago at GETS and the difference in the running qualities has astonishing, the second batch didn’t put a single foot wrong all weekend, whilst the first batch were put back in their boxes within 15 minutes of opening and not used for the weekend!

Simon

On 28/10/2019 at 21:20, St. Simon said:

Hi,

Is it a Legomanbiffo Loksoumd decoder? They have been programmed  to correct the fault on the first batch where the lights were wired back to front in DCC. It might be that the Decoder is ‘reversing’ the lights to try and correct a fault which isn’t there?

For the record, I ran a pair of first batch and a pair of second batch 73s on Norwood Road a couple of weekends ago at GETS and the difference in the running qualities has astonishing, the second batch didn’t put a single foot wrong all weekend, whilst the first batch were put back in their boxes within 15 minutes of opening and not used for the weekend!

Simon

Given that the DJM class 71 never stalls with the same pick up set up, I can only guess that the wrong gear grease was used on the class 73 batch 1s. I modified two of my batch 1s to have wiper pick ups as shown on this thread with one key difference that makes it so much easier to do. In my case, I only added them to the outer wheel sets of each bogie and they have been running perfectly fine since (over a year later).

At the same time, opening the bogies allowed me to unclip and glue in all the bogie parts (they just seem pushed in be default) so that I no longer have bits dropping off for time to time neither.

• RMweb Gold
On 05/08/2019 at 17:12, stock_2007 said:

Hi were you able to get the name plates, I've just picked 202 up as I really like the livery and would like to run it as it is today.:crazy_mini:

Hi there. Apologies for not replying sooner but only just looked back at this thread. The fiend who ordered a batch of them from Narrow Planet now has them and I should be collecting it on Friday so will post as how they have turned out.

18 hours ago, Temeraire said:

Hi Simon

Have you modified the pickups at all? Both my early release 73s ran perfectly all weekend at Taunton with the improved pickup arrangement.

Hi Ian,

I haven't yet, and it is a job I keep meaning to do, but for the life of me, I still can't get the bogie frames off the bogie! Despite following the instructions given by yourself and a couple of others, I just can't seem to separate the them!

Regards,

Simon

• RMweb Gold

I have just fitted the Narrow Planet produced nameplates to the loco with canopy glue (the little bits of dust etc around the plate have since been removed after seeing them on the photo). 10 sets were ordered for various friends and at least a couple more have ordered them directly, so one day we will have to see how many 'Graham Stennings' we can line up on a layout. Even his brother (who isn't a modeller) has a loco with the plates to add.

20191101_193123.jpg

• Like 10

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Gents

I seeking recommendations for someone to undertake the repainting of my BR "Blue" class 73 into proper BR rail Blue!

So far after running in, the model has only lost one sand box/pipe assembly from the rear of a bogie, apart from that the model runs very well indeed with just a hint of gear noise.

However l m not sure if its the colours the model is in at the moment, but for some unknown reason it just doesn't look quite right. I worked on the footplate at Waterloo in 1980 and remember these locos quite fondly, even so, l just can't put my finger on why mines not quite "right"

So if anyone could point me in the right direction, I will be able to at least get the livery right, and that one more possible cause off my list

Many thanks

Bob C

• RMweb Gold
43 minutes ago, Blobrick said:

Gents

I seeking recommendations for someone to undertake the repainting of my BR "Blue" class 73 into proper BR rail Blue!

So far after running in, the model has only lost one sand box/pipe assembly from the rear of a bogie, apart from that the model runs very well indeed with just a hint of gear noise.

However l m not sure if its the colours the model is in at the moment, but for some unknown reason it just doesn't look quite right. I worked on the footplate at Waterloo in 1980 and remember these locos quite fondly, even so, l just can't put my finger on why mines not quite "right"

So if anyone could point me in the right direction, I will be able to at least get the livery right, and that one more possible cause off my list

Many thanks

Bob C

I think it was generally accepted that the shade of blue Dapol applied was a long way from being Rall Blue ... far too purpley, for want of a better word. I remember seeing one in a shop and immediately deciding it looked wrong, even allowing for the range of interpretation of Rail Blue as shown by other manufacturers. I think the yellow may have been off as well, to add to the effect.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Barry Ten said:

I think it was generally accepted that the shade of blue Dapol applied was a long way from being Rall Blue ... far too purpley, for want of a better word. I remember seeing one in a shop and immediately deciding it looked wrong, even allowing for the range of interpretation of Rail Blue as shown by other manufacturers. I think the yellow may have been off as well, to add to the effect.

Hi Barry

Exactly, l m hoping once the model is in the right livery, it will look better!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 18/02/2020 at 16:50, Blobrick said:

Gents

Many thanks

Bob C

No takers or recommendations? I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction?

Bob C

Unfortunately this model has suffered a few gremlins in the first production run.

The 2nd run many (not quite all) the problems solved, a really good improvement over the Limby model

Same as yourself I was very disappointed with the BR Blue livery error and was surprised there wasn't a revision in the second tranche of models.

Unfortunately no suggestion of a third production run yet with a BR Blue in it.

I was considering my own respray but there is a lot of fine detail that needs removing and then a strip down in brake fluid.

You could contact DCC supplies for spare body shells and opt for a different livery (about £35) they may also do the spare sand box.

Respray can a lot be more expensive and often long waiting times but as it is an easy livery you may get away with just £50.

I have locos from Lees Locos and Bens Resprays which were excellent work - there are others out there as well

Lastly read through the Class 73 thread about the modifications to electrial pick ups - these are pretty vital to get smooth running - as well as the PCB modification.

22 hours ago, Blobrick said:

No takers or recommendations? I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction?

Bob C

As mentioned lees locos ( although he always seems super busy ), I think trains4u at Peterborough also do them now .

failing that a rail match rattle can of br blue if they still make it 

• RMweb Premium

I think  a repaint into BR Blue from the Dapol BR Purple(!) is a definite improvement.

This was a BR Blue model to start with, so I just sprayed the proper colours over the top after removing the printing.

The detailing parts were pretty easy to remove from the body, Dapol obviously don't like buying glue !!

Cheers,

Phil.

IMG_0428.JPG

• Like 7
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Phil Mc said:

I think  a repaint into BR Blue from the Dapol BR Purple(!) is a definite improvement.

This was a BR Blue model to start with, so I just sprayed the proper colours over the top after removing the printing.

The detailing parts were pretty easy to remove from the body, Dapol obviously don't like buying glue !!

Cheers,

Phil.

IMG_0428.JPG

Love what you ve done Phil, she certainly looks the part now. I like your weathering too, just about the right level to capture the detail, without hiding it. Oh and l love the roof panels too!!

Lovely job

Bob C

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, rob D2 said:

As mentioned lees locos ( although he always seems super busy ), I think trains4u at Peterborough also do them now .

failing that a rail match rattle can of br blue if they still make it 

Thanks Rob, an other line of enquiry to follow!

Bob C

Guest Half-full
5 hours ago, letterspider said:

Respray can a lot be more expensive and often long waiting times but as it is an easy livery you may get away with just £50.

I have locos from Lees Locos and Bens Resprays which were excellent work - there are others out there as well

A proper respray will cost a lot more than £50, you might get someone who does small scale resprays doing it for you for that, but an established outfit will charge a significant amount more than that - rightly so because of the time involved.

BR Blue might seem an easy livery but its not really!  The process I follow (and I know others do too) is...

Full strip down of removable parts

Full paint strip to bare plastic

Thorough clean

Primer

Rubdown, followed by primer and rubdown again if any rough spots

Thorough clean

White primer for yellow top coat

Rubdown, followed by white primer and rubdown again if any rough spots

Thorough clean

X thin coats of Yellow

Mask Yellow areas

X thin coats of Blue

Remove masking

Mask bodyshell for roof panel painting

X thin coats of of grey/fibreglass colouring

Remove masking

X thin coats on bogies/chassis

Touch up any rough areas

Paint detail parts

Re-assemble bodyshell

X thin coats of Gloss varnish

Apply decals

Thin coat of Gloss varnish

X thin coats of Satin/Matt varnish

Fit Glazing

It's a lot of work for what many people think is a simple colour scheme.  The simplest livery is all over Black on Steam loco's .  I used to offer a respray service, which I stopped around 10 years ago.  £50 would have bought you a black steam loco respray.