New OO gauge Class 73

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Half-full said:

A proper respray will cost a lot more than £50, you might get someone who does small scale resprays doing it for you for that, but an established outfit will charge a significant amount more than that - rightly so because of the time involved.

BR Blue might seem an easy livery but its not really!  The process I follow (and I know others do too) is...

Full strip down of removable parts

Full paint strip to bare plastic

Thorough clean

Primer

Rubdown, followed by primer and rubdown again if any rough spots

Thorough clean

White primer for yellow top coat

Rubdown, followed by white primer and rubdown again if any rough spots

Thorough clean

X thin coats of Yellow

Mask Yellow areas

X thin coats of Blue

Remove masking

Mask bodyshell for roof panel painting

X thin coats of of grey/fibreglass colouring

Remove masking

X thin coats on bogies/chassis

Touch up any rough areas

Paint detail parts

Re-assemble bodyshell

X thin coats of Gloss varnish

Apply decals

Thin coat of Gloss varnish

X thin coats of Satin/Matt varnish

Fit Glazing

It's a lot of work for what many people think is a simple colour scheme.  The simplest livery is all over Black on Steam loco's .  I used to offer a respray service, which I stopped around 10 years ago.  £50 would have bought you a black steam loco respray.

That's the process I normally use.

In this case I figured the existing colours were a pretty good base coat for the desired top-coats, so didn't strip the body down as far as usual.

Still doesn't make it a particularly quick process though !!

I can't imagine anyone would offer to pay me to respray anything, but if they did, even working at 'minimum wage' rates the final cost would soon add up to a tidy sum !! And that doesn't include consumables, of which there are many (paint, transfers, masking materials, cleaning materials, airbrush, compressor, tools, sanding materials...........)

Would be much cheaper & easier for Dapol to have used the right colours in the first place. :lol:

Cheers,,

Phil.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I guess that makes this even more of a bargain then.. just £45 over rrp for a full respray of a new 2 car unit.

For BR Blue on a new model, which wouldn't have all the handling grime.. i’d probably take a little more risk.. take the body off remove glazing and obvious protruding and non-blue bits, remove the numbers / logo / warning flashes. Wash in soapy water, mask off the yellow ends and respray it, maybe 2 or 3 times with very light passes each time to build up some layers.

You don't have to go over the top every time, though I admit theres many occasions where it can get complex very quickly, but blue on a new BR Blue box shaped 73 probably isnt one of them.

if it goes pear shaped, then you can revert to the full strip down as above.

Edited by adb968008

• RMweb Premium
On 20/02/2020 at 21:19, letterspider said:

I'm only quoting what I have paid for myself - but I agree that you may expect to pay more.

As it is I am going to Ally Pally where I will ask Dapol if we will be seeing any Blue and yellow Class 73's in a 3rd run  - fingers crossed

I wonder if they would consider producing extra body shells in the correct BR Blue/Yellow for people with the earlier versions who would what to change bodies?  Might be a good PR move ?

Bob C

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

10 hours ago, Blobrick said:

I wonder if they would consider producing extra body shells in the correct BR Blue/Yellow for people with the earlier versions who would what to change bodies?  Might be a good PR move ?

Not just the not rail rail blue one was wrong though - the Pullman liveried ones they did for Gaugemaster for example were if at least largely the rights shades IIRC were certainly wrong in terms of fonts and/or spacing of them so that one intended purchase not carried through with.

Guest Half-full
1 minute ago, Butler Henderson said:

Not just the not rail rail blue one was wrong though - the Pullman liveried ones they did for Gaugemaster for example were if at least largely the rights shades IIRC were certainly wrong in terms of fonts and/or spacing of them so that one intended purchase not carried through with.

I think the liveries of all the first batch were wrong in one way or another.  Original green was ok I think but that was it.  Happy to be corrected though!

• RMweb Gold
On 22/02/2020 at 19:43, Phil Mc said:

The Dutch one was wrong too.

Still got one waiting to be sprayed into the right colours !!

Cheers,

Phil.

I dont know if any in the first batch were correct. Maybe one of the green ones.

On 22/02/2020 at 19:43, Phil Mc said:

The Dutch one was wrong too.

Still got one waiting to be sprayed into the right colours !!

Cheers,

Phil.

I've got 3 Dutch ones in my queue! 

Already redid my 73102 into 73103 with correct InterCity colours, much improved!

GBRf was good I thought.

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, SouthernMafia said:

I've got 3 Dutch ones in my queue! 

Already redid my 73102 into 73103 with correct InterCity colours, much improved!

GBRf was good I thought.

The GBRf one was correct for the one it is.

There's quite a bit of livery variation between the 'standard' fleet.

I had to remove the Orange stripe from below the cantrail, move the data panel, change the transfers on the cab end and sides......

.....all to model the loco with the same name as my missus !! :lol:

Cheers,

Phil.

20190118_163922.jpg

20190422_103226.jpg

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

31 minutes ago, Phil Mc said:

I had to remove the Orange stripe from below the cantrail, move the data panel, change the transfers on the cab end and sides......

Cheers,

Phil.

20190118_163922.jpg

20190422_103226.jpg

Wow now that looks brilliant. Love the weathering

How easy was it to remove the Number and what did you use?  Also who's replacement Numbers were they ?

If you don't mind me asking.

Cheers Trailrage

Edited by TRAILRAGE
Stoopid sausage fingers!

1 hour ago, Phil Mc said:

Cheers,

Phil.

20190118_163922.jpg

20190422_103226.jpg

Roof weathering really makes it, must do that to my pair. You've done well to remove that orange stripe too without leaving a mess, as Trailrage says what did you use?

Interesting also how the sunshine really brings out the blue, or did you respray that too just for fun? ;)

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium
19 hours ago, TRAILRAGE said:

Wow now that looks brilliant. Love the weathering

How easy was it to remove the Number and what did you use?  Also who's replacement Numbers were they ?

If you don't mind me asking.

Cheers Trailrage

T-cut and cotton buds to remove the numbers.

A cocktail stick to remove the data panels, electric flashes and nose-end transfers.

Transfers are the excellent railtec replacements.

cheers,

Phil.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Premium
18 hours ago, SouthernMafia said:

Roof weathering really makes it, must do that to my pair. You've done well to remove that orange stripe too without leaving a mess, as Trailrage says what did you use?

Interesting also how the sunshine really brings out the blue, or did you respray that too just for fun? ;)

I figured trying to remove the Orange stripe would make a mess, so I mixed up a Blue colour to match the body colour and sprayed over it, feathering in to approx halfway down the side windows.

It is the sunshine that changes the Blue, which looks a much nicer, brighter shade outdoors !!

cheers,

Phil.

• Like 2

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, sanspareil said:

Out of interest do Dapol include separately fitted nameplates with their named models, such as 73109, or only printed on ones?

On my GBRf models they are printed, no etches included. Rather frustratingly on the original Dapol 73206 release they are the correct size, on the Olivias 73205 and 73141 they are too big, and don't come off well so hard to hide with the correctly sized Shawplan plates.

• Thanks 2

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

I just did a quick search of this thread to see if this has been mentioned before and can't seem to find an answer, but I just picked up two of the newer Class 73 (Southern and SWT 4D-006-012/4D-006-013) and both have an issue with the window blind lighting.

Both locos appear to work fine on DC in one direction (high intensity white and white blind one end with red blind at the rear), by swapping directions gives the high intensity white plus a red window blind at the leading end and a white window blind at the rear.  I have not yet had the body off to fiddle with the switches, but would not expect it to behave like this out of the box.  I'm hoping it is an easy wire reversal fix, but it seems strange to have the same issue on two brand new locos...anyone else had similar??

Thanks

Rich

Edited by sharpshooter
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
21 hours ago, sharpshooter said:

Hi all,

I just did a quick search of this thread to see if this has been mentioned before and can't seem to find an answer, but I just picked up two of the newer Class 73 (Southern and SWT 4D-006-012/4D-006-013) and both have an issue with the window blind lighting.

Both locos appear to work fine on DC in one direction (high intensity white and white blind one end with red blind at the rear), by swapping directions gives the high intensity white plus a red window blind at the leading end and a white window blind at the rear.  I have not yet had the body off to fiddle with the switches, but would not expect it to behave like this out of the box.  I'm hoping it is an easy wire reversal fix, but it seems strange to have the same issue on two brand new locos...anyone else had similar??

Thanks

Rich

Aren't the blinds just fixed red and one end and white at the other?

Roy

7 hours ago, Roy Langridge said:

Aren't the blinds just fixed red and one end and white at the other?

Roy

Yes the blinds are fixed colour with white LEDs so they won't change colour with direction. I remove my red ones and just have whites or a code at each end. Must get round to adding some separately controlled LEDs.

Why hasn't anyone designed a servo control blind scroller yet ?

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, SouthernMafia said:

Why hasn't anyone designed a servo control blind scroller yet ?

Micro LED display would probably be easier.

Ive seen someone make OO gauge working station departure boards, not sure where, but is a step in that direction. At Warley last year one of the layouts had working LED displays in a coach.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

If SouthernMafia has white at both ends, then illuminating them from behind with white or red LEDs would surely work. The red ones could be deactivated when hauling a train, just as is done with most up-to-date offerings. A headcode could be kept in place if, as many of us do, we tart up the end we intend to lead by removing the tension lock and adding pipework.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

12 hours ago, No Decorum said:

If SouthernMafia has white at both ends, then illuminating them from behind with white or red LEDs would surely work. The red ones could be deactivated when hauling a train, just as is done with most up-to-date offerings. A headcode could be kept in place if, as many of us do, we tart up the end we intend to lead by removing the tension lock and adding pipework.

Indeed that would work perfectly and is on my very very long to do list ! I've seen a few models with it and it does look effective, but doesn't work at all if you want a route code at one end! My plan would be to have blank blinds at one end with separately controlled red/white LEDs, and a route code at the other end with just whites. About the best compromise save working scrolling blinds. 

• Like 1