New OO gauge Class 73

• RMweb Gold
On 24/11/2020 at 23:27, SouthernMafia said:

Indeed that would work perfectly and is on my very very long to do list ! I've seen a few models with it and it does look effective, but doesn't work at all if you want a route code at one end! My plan would be to have blank blinds at one end with separately controlled red/white LEDs, and a route code at the other end with just whites. About the best compromise save working scrolling blinds. 

That is what I do with my Heljan 33s - I use common anode bi-colour LEDs so that I don't have to mess around with light guides too much.

Roy

• Like 2

On 24/11/2020 at 11:24, No Decorum said:

If SouthernMafia has white at both ends, then illuminating them from behind with white or red LEDs would surely work. The red ones could be deactivated when hauling a train, just as is done with most up-to-date offerings. A headcode could be kept in place if, as many of us do, we tart up the end we intend to lead by removing the tension lock and adding pipework.

Just as a point of note, even though it may not be relevant to someone using DC, the Theatre box (head code) lights are individually switchable on DCC which means you can switch off the light on the rearmost box when hauling stock. Dapol have also modified the pcb to enable the rear cab light to be left on or the front cab light, both or none at all. I have left mine so that the rear cab is on and is directional in accordance with travel. The lighting seems to have been geared up better for DCC operation it would seem

• Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold

So I find I have a bit of cash to spend and I need a class 73. Putting all livery questions side, are they good runners? I have just watched the sams trains review and he cans the running. It derails easily and the pickups are very poor.

I have read through some of this site and it would seem he is not alone in this opinion.

So what are peoples experiences now? Is it a decent runner or do I save £40 and buy the Hornby one which is less detailed?

Is it worth buying the Dapol one??

Thanks

27 minutes ago, ikcdab said:

So I find I have a bit of cash to spend and I need a class 73. Putting all livery questions side, are they good runners? I have just watched the sams trains review and he cans the running. It derails easily and the pickups are very poor.

I have read through some of this site and it would seem he is not alone in this opinion.

So what are peoples experiences now? Is it a decent runner or do I save £40 and buy the Hornby one which is less detailed?

Thanks

Hi

The Dapol 73 looks lovely.

I found mine ran dreadfully on arrival and it was sent back with a failed motor soon after.

The next one also ran poorly, however this was fixed by adding a drop or two of PECO PL-64 Power Lube Electrolube Light Locomotive Oil.

This is a special penetrating oil and contact cleaner, use it with extreme caution as it is so effective it can cause shorts!

My 73 now runs well enough but needs periodic re-treatment.

They are prone to derailing as for some reason the center of each bogie seems off set toward the middle of the lcoo.

Again however, on fair track mine has no issues.

Mine appears in this video, so you can see the track etc.

Hope this helps

• Like 1

I find that all my Bo-Bo's are more prone to running problems due to dirt on the track - it is simply a matter of fewer pick ups.

If you are more determined and adept you can make the modification described earlier in this thread to improve the Class 73

You can also see the arrangement of internal contacts against rollers on the axle - you can see why with this  arrangement electrolube will improve the running

I don't have a second batch locomotive but apparently they run better

• Craftsmanship/clever 1

43 minutes ago, ikcdab said:

Thanks

You will note from mikesndbs’ post above that some 73s need attention. My two are excellent runners. The Hornby is a Railroad model; less detailed and no lights. The motor is reported to be reasonably good but it only drives four wheels, two of which have traction tyres.

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, letterspider said:

I find that all my Bo-Bo's are more prone to running problems due to dirt on the track - it is simply a matter of fewer pick ups.

If you are more determined and adept you can make the modification described earlier in this thread to improve the Class 73

You can also see the arrangement of internal contacts against rollers on the axle - you can see why with this  arrangement electrolube will improve the running

I don't have a second batch locomotive but apparently they run better

How does one know if it's a second batch locomotive? Presumably one bought now from a model shop will be???

53 minutes ago, ikcdab said:

How does one know if it's a second batch locomotive? Presumably one bought now from a model shop will be???

4D-006-010 = BR Green SYP and grey solebar

4D-006-011 = Network Southeast

4D-006-012 = South West Trains

4D-006-013 = Southern

4D-006-014 = BR Green, no YWP and red bufferbeams

These are the ones from batch 2

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
Just now, MGR Hooper! said:

4D-006-013 = Southern

Thank you. That's helped. The one I am looking at is 010 so I'll go ahead and buy it.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

The other point about the Dapol 73 bogies is they have limited scope for vertical movement in one direction - so if you have sharp changes in gradients or maybe not very even track, the front or back bogie, depending on whether it's uphill or downhill, can run out of travel - and derail.

• Informative/Useful 2

1 hour ago, MGR Hooper! said:

4D-006-013 = Southern

Aren't the Olivia's trains liveries in that Batch

Network Rail

EWS

Fragonset?

2 minutes ago, letterspider said:

Aren't the Olivia's trains liveries in that Batch

Network Rail

EWS

Fragonset?

They were from batch 1, I recall them being advertised from the time the Class 73 was announced. Hattons IIRC then took over the Olivias Trains stock and sold them. Please correct me if I am wrong, but I'm fairly certain their were around from the beginning along with the first batch.

Edited by MGR Hooper!

On 02/12/2020 at 12:24, MGR Hooper! said:

They were from batch 1, I recall them being advertised from the time the Class 73 was announced. Hattons IIRC then took over the Olivias Trains stock and sold them. Please correct me if I am wrong, but I'm fairly certain their were around from the beginning along with the first batch.

I believe they are from the newer batch 2, you're thinking of 73205 GBRf, 73207 in GatEx, and 73141 in First GBRf. 

On a side note DCC Supplies are selling bodies from both standard and Olivias releases for £36, a veritable bargain !

If anyone has any dead or poor running chassis they wish to move on do get in touch via PM.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 02/12/2020 at 10:39, mikesndbs said:

They are prone to derailing as for some reason the center of each bogie seems off set toward the middle of the lcoo.

Again however, on fair track mine has no issues.

I found the modification of adding extra pick ups helps cure derailing as well as the bogie will centre itself upon leaving a curve. I only ever applied the pickups to the outer wheel sets and they become a dream in terms of better running and electrical pickup. The bogie pivots are off centre, a feature I am not keen on but these have far more play than the DJM class 71.

• Thanks 1

On 02/12/2020 at 10:03, No Decorum said:

The Hornby is a Railroad model; less detailed and no lights. The motor is reported to be reasonably good but it only drives four wheels, two of which have traction tyres.

I can state that my Hornby RR models E6001 & E 6003 do not have traction tyres, one bought new, have 5 pole motors and pickup on all 8 wheels.  Can haul 14 cars on flat no issues.

When viewed at scale 49ft, 17 inches (at my closet average viewing distance when running), detail is not so noticeable compared to all current super detailed models at same distance.

There does seem to be issues with Dapol's models even the the new mogul GWR 2-6-0, going by Sam's trains and others.

• 2 weeks later...

Afternoon all,

I received a lovely sound-fitted 73109 in NSE livery (from Dapol) for Christmas, however there was no list of the sound functions in the box, does anyone have a copy they could PM over to me? As I'm rather guessing at the moment! A trawl of the Dapol website has also yielded no luck in finding the list.

Thanks in advance!

Edited by R.Langley

On 27/12/2020 at 14:47, R.Langley said:

Afternoon all,

I received a lovely sound-fitted 73109 in NSE livery (from Dapol) for Christmas, however there was no list of the sound functions in the box, does anyone have a copy they could PM over to me? As I'm rather guessing at the moment! A trawl of the Dapol website has also yielded no luck in finding the list.

Thanks in advance!

I wondered if my Gaugemaster/Dapol Pullman 73 had the same sound functions but when I looked, I couldn't find the sound sheet either!!!  All I remember is that there was mention of electric or diesel operational sounds, though I never have heard the electric ones.  So... I am a bit lost too - if you happen to get a copy of functions, can you PM me too?

I know the decoder used in mine was a Zimo, so it's possible it was fitted by GM and not a Dapol original but it might just be common between models.  The only other option is to try all F buttons and sequences...

If I do find mine, I'll let you know.

Thanks,

Ixion.

• 1 year later...

Just got a message on social media - Dapol have announced a new run of 73s in BR era liveries which is good, however (and i'm squinting) it looks like the old Intercity livery is still wrong - looks like a black upper body. Hope i'm wrong because I could quite happily buy a handful of these. Did they improve the running qualities on the 2nd batch?

5 hours ago, steve1023 said:

Just got a message on social media - Dapol have announced a new run of 73s in BR era liveries which is good, however (and i'm squinting) it looks like the old Intercity livery is still wrong - looks like a black upper body. Hope i'm wrong because I could quite happily buy a handful of these. Did they improve the running qualities on the 2nd batch?

https://www.Dapol.co.uk/New-OO-Gauge-Class-73-Liveries-Announced

Now is the time to send feedback to Dapol!  Really want the Intercity livery, so hoping they get it right this time, especially the lower bodyside colour, which they did in white on the first batch.

• RMweb Gold

I saw these at Alexandra Palace too and the colours did look like a big improvement on the first batch, I see they are also doing sound fitted ones, I wonder what sound project they are using. I should have asked.