New OO gauge Class 73

• RMweb Gold

As I've mentioned earlier in this thread, I've fitted a Lenz Silver21+ decoder to both my recently-purchased models. I haven't bothered changing the CVs and the result is that F1 turns on the white front blind, F2 the red rear blind and F0 operates the cab lights which are directional so only one cab light is lit according to the loco's current direction. 

• RMweb Premium
On 14/01/2024 at 10:46, Butler Henderson said:

All are "temporarily out of stock" - Do Kernow honour the "sale" price if/when thety get more stock?

Blue ones apart from E6301 back in stock today, 10+ each.

Thinking of redoing the light wiring on mine with added white and red LEDs to the respective headcode displays. The white headcode LEDs connected to F0 instead of the cab lights. The cathodes of the red LEDs and cab lights also connected to appropriate F0 feed. The red LEDs anodes connected to the switched output of a relay and the cab light anodes to the switched output of another relay. Then both connected to the appropriate F0 feed. The relays being worked by F1 and F2 with a 1N4001 diode in reverse across the coil connections to suppress the relay and protect the decoder. Would need the 10k resistors on the main PCB shorted out and replacement 10k added to the six LED cathode connections. As such the rear cab light could be switched on if desired and red rear headcode displayed as necessary.

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
23 hours ago, Butler Henderson said:

This fell off the chassis of mine today - anyone any idea where it fits - looks smooth not corrugated as the blown up photo

73bit.jpg.a1a0adf699a00cf4b283ccce266a4727.jpg

Is it possibly from the side of the bogie here? Other than that I can't find anything else that matches unless it's part of the accessories. which I haven't yet fitted. 

Screenshot2024-02-10151250.png.b016c320af45f96821d402ced9fbe7e9.png

Edited by RFS
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, RFS said:

Is it possibly from the side of the bogie here? Other than that I can't find anything else that matches unless it's part of the accessories. which I haven't yet fitted. 

Screenshot2024-02-10151250.png.b016c320af45f96821d402ced9fbe7e9.png

Thanks but its not the speedo cable. Had a couple of other identifiable bits fall off as well and on gluing one part back on another two fell off. Seems their must have been severe glue useage restrictions in the factory when it was put togteher.

4 hours ago, Butler Henderson said:

Thanks but its not the speedo cable. Had a couple of other identifiable bits fall off as well and on gluing one part back on another two fell off. Seems their must have been severe glue useage restrictions in the factory when it was put togteher.

The first thing I do with any new Dapol 73 is to spend time gluing all the loose bits on the bogies first. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

On 09/02/2024 at 16:07, Butler Henderson said:

This fell off the chassis of mine today - anyone any idea where it fits - looks smooth not corrugated as the blown up photo

73bit.jpg.a1a0adf699a00cf4b283ccce266a4727.jpg

It is from what I think is the AWS magnet housing. The small box in the middle of the chassis behind one of the bogies. 

73Part.jpg

Edited by Denny
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• 1 month later...
On 15/10/2023 at 19:11, adb968008 said:

there is very little a 73/1 tooling can give to a 73/9, so its open season to whomever bags it..

So true! I ended up creating a whole new body and using Dapol cabs grafted on before adding the WIPACs and everything else for both the sleeper and GBRF 9s

• Like 4

• 4 weeks later...
On 19/01/2024 at 19:04, richardupton said:

I bought an E6031 from the Kernow sale a few days ago.  To be honest I had misgivings about the model based on previous form although I'd long wanted a 73. However, having had it out on test I am very pleased. It runs like a dream with none of the issues that had been reported on earlier releases. 

Might be of interese re our Dapol Sale now on: 

https://www.dckits-devideos.co.uk/index.php?route=product/category&path=280

• Like 1