New OO gauge Class 73

• RMweb Premium

Body rebuilt, hopefully looking a bit more like prototypical colours.

If anyone is interested, pics of the finished loco will appear in my workbench thread, when the chassis is finished and its all been weathered.

Cheers,

Phil.

post-4971-0-45606900-1453035126_thumb.jpg

post-4971-0-98636700-1453035132_thumb.jpg

Edited by Phil mc
  • Like 11

That's perfect. It shows the colours to be pretty uniform throughout the train, including the 73. That gives a fair comparison and a good indication of the tones, even though, as Chris (dibber25) pointed out, it cannot be used for exact matches of shades of paint.

It also means that for use with the Pullmans, the 73 should match them. However, the problem then raises its head: should the Hornby Pullmans be the lighter shade or the 73 the darker shade. The photo suggests strongly the former should be the case, for modern usage. Of course, it can also be argued that Hornby didn't model their Pullmans as the modern versions in the VSOE, and that the cours may well be correct for the 1940s/'50s/'60s.

I presume, then, that the VSOE Pullmans carry the LATER, LIGHTER shade of umber but the EARLIER style of lining and crests? The Hornby Pullmans represent cars in the earlier livery, at earlier dates, and are therefore correct in the earlier dark brown livery. To the best of my knowledge Hornby has not offered cars in VSOE livery as most of the VSOE cars are not the types modelled by Hornby. So, in a nutshell, the Class 73 won't match the Hornby Pullmans because - strictly speaking - it shouldn't. (CJL)

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Just been checking my green 73 over as it stuttered a lot yesterday (Royal Alex was fine)  whilst in use on the layout but worse stilll one biffer is completely missing now. It was there when it was put on the layout. Now need to source spares or just replace all of them.

I now wish that I had glued these oval buffers in as they kept popping out whilst working on the loco when I first got it.

Edited by roundhouse

Hornby have issued VSOE Pullman sets, definitely at least once as I have the coach pack consisting of Minerva, Cygnus & Ibis. They are the darker brown livery of course. The prototypes date from the early 1980s so they will have been repainted more than once. I suspect they were darker brown from the launch of the VSOE service.

Cheers.

• Like 1

Hornby have issued VSOE Pullman sets, definitely at least once as I have the coach pack consisting of Minerva, Cygnus & Ibis. They are the darker brown livery of course. The prototypes date from the early 1980s so they will have been repainted more than once. I suspect they were darker brown from the launch of the VSOE service.

Cheers.

So Hornby have played fast and loose with the Pullmans - Cygnus is a 1951 Festival of Britain car and Minerva (latterly at least) a guard/parlour first - neither of which is correct for the Hornby tooling. Minerva has probably been altered again by VSOE and most of the VSOE cars run on Gresley bogies, which Hornby models don't. Should we be bothered about the colour, when the models aren't correct anyway? From examination of my own photos of the full-size VSOE I'd say it is NOT painted in the original dark umber but a more modern lighter shade, although it does carry the more elaborate early style coats of arms. Whether that lighter shade is the correct 1960s lighter shade, I wouldn't like to say. Vehicles in preservation - or modern commercial use - often use the nearest colour that looks OK. After all, the majority of VSOE customers are not going to be too discerning about the precise colours of the carriages - they'll be more interested in whether the wine is at the right temperature. (CJL)

• Like 2

Body rebuilt, hopefully looking a bit more like prototypical colours.

If anyone is interested, pics of the finished loco will appear in my workbench thread, when the chassis is finished and its all been weathered.

Cheers,

Phil.

Superb. But just one quibble, and I defer to the experts on colour representation on PC screens, but I am sure that the driver you have represented, never wore that shirt colour.

• RMweb Gold

Superb. But just one quibble, and I defer to the experts on colour representation on PC screens, but I am sure that the driver you have represented, never wore that shirt colour.

Very good, Mike. But I seem to recall your brother drove for Eurostar - what colour shirts did he wear, please?

Very good, Mike. But I seem to recall your brother drove for Eurostar - what colour shirts did he wear, please?

IIRC Ian, as I only ever saw the back of his head, there were no shirts involved, He had to wear a carbon fibre pressure suit, with a tie obviously, not so much to counteract the G-forces, but to keep him awake between Stratford and just north of Paris. I think the other drivers wore something akin to a freshly un-ironed stripey job, of uncertain pantone origins. Designed by a French geezer with Italian parentage, I believe. Mike (The Stationmaster) will no doubt elucidate.

Chris,

I didn't say the Hornby coaches were accurate, only that they produced their version of these. I think it was in a set with a steam engine.

I have been running a kit built and Hornby converted VSOE train for the last 20 years or so on my layout. This was produced by the late Jack Richards and was heavily researched. See picture below. The Pullman 73 is Lima hand painted by me.

Cheers.

attachicon.gifVSOE TWY Hornby Mag.jpg

73's working in tandem as 101 and 003 wouldn't work together unless it was towing a dead 101

Guest 40-something

Im hoping these first batch models end up getting discounted, then I'll buy a couple and respray to my hearts content

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

WARNING.
Just to reiterate Roundhouse's earlier comment, my Dapol ED also lost a buffer at the Guildford show on Saturday.  Fortunately, it was found on the layout.
Be very careful about the sprung oval buffers on the green JA, they fall out!
I'm going to sacrifice the springing and glue the bl00dy things in.

https://www.facebook.com/Dapol-Ltd-214563285228094/?fref=ts

Dapol have posted that they have plenty of E6001 collectors club models left. so i replied telling him why there is still plenty left. i suspect Dapol will remove my comment and i still won't get my Terrier parts! feel free to leave comments and see if we get a reply

I see they have replied to your comments although surely this needs to be taken with a pinch of salt

" For the colours, do you have a reference that you could suggest? Interestingly, we have matched the yellow to the original BR Spec so it would be good to see what alternatives you suggest. I am also sorry that you have some issues with parts falling off. As you can probably appreciate, we have included a lot of detail on the chassis and this does make it vulnerable to parts coming away, especially if handled or transported incorrectly. however, if you have issues, please return it to your original retailer and I am sure this can be sorted. I am afraid we do not really monitor forums, so direct emails are the best form of communication."

• Like 1

Guest 40-something

I see they have replied to your comments although surely this needs to be taken with a pinch of salt

" For the colours, do you have a reference that you could suggest? Interestingly, we have matched the yellow to the original BR Spec so it would be good to see what alternatives you suggest. I am also sorry that you have some issues with parts falling off. As you can probably appreciate, we have included a lot of detail on the chassis and this does make it vulnerable to parts coming away, especially if handled or transported incorrectly. however, if you have issues, please return it to your original retailer and I am sure this can be sorted. I am afraid we do not really monitor forums, so direct emails are the best form of communication."

If direct emails are the best form of communication, why do they never reply to them?  Im trying to source parts for a kit that came with half the bits missing and I've had no response to any of the emails I sent them!

If direct emails are the best form of communication, why do they never reply to them?  Im trying to source parts for a kit that came with half the bits missing and I've had no response to any of the emails I sent them!

well, i suggest you comment on the link above, it says they accept criticism if made constructively, and make a comment about the direct emails not being answered

Guest 40-something

well, i suggest you comment on the link above, it says they accept criticism if made constructively, and make a comment about the direct emails not being answered

I would do but Im not on Facebook

• Like 1

73's working in tandem as 101 and 003 wouldn't work together unless it was towing a dead 101

That is what I am showing, well spotted. One 73 is plenty for this train.

At the Erith Show at Longfield at the end of the month the VSOE will be hauled by my 73212 a Lima model which I am in the process of adding bufferbeam pipes etc. at one end. I am using Dapol 73 parts, and was surprised to find there are many pipes/hoses not included in the bag.

Cheers.

My 73 135 has now arrived and the blue strangely looks a little different to, and better than, the 124. Bizarre. All looks well apart from the buffers at one end, very slightly tilting upwards and only noticeable at eye level, so a job for later. Runs well on DC on test.