New OO gauge Class 73

Is that the right shade of muck for an ED of that era?

Discuss.

(that should make for another 30 pages at least)

Spent all that time painting it, just to cover it in muck !!  :scratchhead:

cheers,

Phil.

In sincerity it's actually a good bit of weathering, I am just muck stirring. Oh is that a "you've been banned for flaming" email I see coming?!!!

73's working in tandem as 101 and 003 wouldn't work together unless it was towing a dead 101

Surely they could still multi- using the blue star connections. The SR-style EP and multi-working connections were different between JA and JB, but the standard blue star connections allowed working with many other diesel types.

Surely in tandem (two drivers)  would be OK? Multi wouldn't.

Cheers,

Mick

that is what i said isn't it?

Surely they could still multi- using the blue star connections. The SR-style EP and multi-working connections were different between JA and JB, but the standard blue star connections allowed working with many other diesel types.

nope JA and JB could not be jumped together. JA's were not true blue star

Edited by 47606odin

I was looking forward to getting a 73 but think I will wait till either they get the right shade of colours or one of the box shifters sells them at a bargain price.

Having seen the recent photos of the limby 73 next to the Dapol one. The old lima model stands up really well in comparison in terms of looks and detail.

• RMweb Premium

FWIW,

having re-worked a couple of Lima 73's in the past, and I still have an untouched NSE liveried one that I've compared the Dapol one against. Straight out of the box the Dapol one is miles in front in terms of detail.

I'm going to have to put some black paper behind the grilles though, like I have with the side windows!

Cheers,

Phil.

• Like 1

I was looking forward to getting a 73 but think I will wait till either they get the right shade of colours or one of the box shifters sells them at a bargain price.

Having seen the recent photos of the limby 73 next to the Dapol one. The old lima model stands up really well in comparison in terms of looks and detail.

Perhaps the photos don't show it, but when you have one in front of you and park a Limby version next to it, the difference is pretty stark. The Limby one, though good for its time, especially when Hornby put a better motor in it, looks very unrefined next to this. The BR blue, whilst not the same as other makes, is still acceptable to me, but the yellow does need toning down, either by weathering or by use of a new coat - not really difficult. I was hoping I could run both versions at the same time, but I am beginning to think not. If the Limby is good enough for your needs (as it was for me until this came out) you will probably find a good number of them appearing at an eBay near you soon......

Cameras can and do lie. In this, they won,t pick out the depth of detail that the open the grills of the new model portain, while making moulded details of the older model look the same as separately fitted of the new. This is not to detract from the Lima model. Both models capture the prototype well only the Dapol one benefits from say 200 extra fitted parts and some 20+ years of advances.

HI all

First time on here but i recieved my Dapol class 73 from hattons a couple of weeks back now. More then happy with the livery and detail but it runs so bad i cant use it. Emailed Dapol about it with no reply and hattons have sent me a replacement without a problem which they said they tested for for me on dcc before sending. This one runs worse then the 1st one. Im running it dcc with a legomanbiffo sound chip in on a dynamis system. It cuts out on my double slip points normal points and even on normal track. I have ran it in both ways and different speeds on my rolling road. I have Bachmann class 08,20,37,47,57 and 66 on the layout with Hornby class 60 and 67. These models run fine over my points and track. Iv tried lubing the pickups but still the same problem. I want to use it as a yard shunt but feel really disapointed by Dapol for a model that cost so much to not even run well.

Has anyone else had the same problem or have i just had bad models delivered?

Ps track and points are new and clean.

Edited by H47chy44

HI all

First time on here but i recieved my Dapol class 73 from hattons a couple of weeks back now. More then happy with the livery and detail but it runs so bad i cant use it. Emailed Dapol about it with no reply and hattons have sent me a replacement without a problem which they said they tested for for me on dcc before sending. This one runs worse then the 1st one. Im running it dcc with a legomanbiffo sound chip in on a dynamis system. It cuts out on my double slip points normal points and even on normal track. I have ran it in both ways and different speeds on my rolling road. I have Bachmann class 08,20,37,47,57 and 66 on the layout with Hornby class 60 and 67. These models run fine over my points and track. Iv tried lubing the pickups but still the same problem. I want to use it as a yard shunt but feel really disapointed by Dapol for a model that cost so much to not even run well.

Have you tried removing the chip and running it on DC?

Using my loco on DCC, using NCE ProCab, it runs fine. Apart from the lights and changing some CVs to get it to run with lights in the direction of  travel. Not their finest model/ moment. Contact is done through:

Kevin Grindley

Sales Admin Manager

keving@Dapol.co.uk

Using my loco on DCC, using NCE ProCab, it runs fine. Apart from the lights and changing some CVs to get it to run with lights in the direction of  travel. Not their finest model/ moment. Contact is done through:

Kevin Grindley

Sales Admin Manager

keving@Dapol.co.uk

Kevin never replied to my 2nd or 3rd emails regarding missing parts from my terrier which never turned up, after he replied to my post. Joel@Dapol.co.uk is a director and he has advised me that he has sent me the bits i need, after i complained in a comment on their Facebook page that i linked to previously

• RMweb Gold

My 73 135 has now arrived and the blue strangely looks a little different to, and better than, the 124. Bizarre. All looks well apart from the buffers at one end, very slightly tilting upwards and only noticeable at eye level, so a job for later. Runs well on DC on test.

Took a look at 135 on the Replica stand @ the Guildford show on Saturday and the BR Blue shade on that look fine to me too. Even the yellow didn't look too bad. Was very tempted....

HI all

Yep I bought two. Both, sadly, also appalling runners. Don't know exactly what the fault is - both of mine were sound chipped. The symptoms you describe are exactly what I experienced! I did get some improvement by adjusting the back 2 backs and running them slowly (less than18/28). But ultimately the motherboard failed on BOTH. My system is Peco track and a Gaugemaster controller. And if I can run  Bachmann E4's and Hornby 08 shunters on my layout, although far from perfect,  it can't be too bad!!!

Thankfully Hattons havent quibbled about taking them back with a cash return and I can get the removed chips re-blown.

So lets put this down to experience and get out the old Hornby/Lima class 73's - they may be poorly detailed - BUT AT LEAST THEY RUN!!

Yep I bought two. Both, sadly, also appalling runners. Don't know exactly what the fault is - both of mine were sound chipped. The symptoms you describe are exactly what I experienced! I did get some improvement by adjusting the back 2 backs and running them slowly (less than18/28). But ultimately the motherboard failed on BOTH. My system is Peco track and a Gaugemaster controller. And if I can run  Bachmann E4's and Hornby 08 shunters on my layout, although far from perfect,  it can't be too bad!!!

Thankfully Hattons havent quibbled about taking them back with a cash return and I can get the removed chips re-blown.

So lets put this down to experience and get out the old Hornby/Lima class 73's - they may be poorly detailed - BUT AT LEAST THEY RUN!!

I'm not an electronics whizz, but I assume this bad running is likely to be down to the DCC socket wiring faults? I'm curious because I've test-run two on analog and I couldn't fault the running. That suggests to me that the issue is electrical rather than mechanical? (CJL)

Thinking about it further, if you try it out first by removing the chip and running on DC, and that still doesn't resolve it, it may be the pick-ups. Others on here have reported problems with these on some models, and it may be that you need to have a look underneath and check they are all making contact.

Thanks for all the replies. I dont have anywhere to test on dc and have tried a normal non sound Bachmann chip and non sound lenz chip in it with the same effect. The lubricantion used is conductive. I think it could be the pick ups which i personally think is a poor design but when you pay over £100 for a model it should run well straight out of the box. Looks like it will be going back to hattons which is a shame and its looks amazing and could have been a very nice gbrf yard shunter for me. I think il hold off on a 68 to see what reviews that gets before buying one.

• RMweb Premium

I think it could be the pick ups which i personally think is a poor design

The pickups do seem to cause trouble and the link will take you to my thread where I have added extra pickups that make the running much better so far. It's fairly easy and quick to carry out the mod although you're right it shouldn't be necessary!

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/82864-tidworth-nse-circa-1990-class-73-pickup-mods/page-33&do=findComment&comment=2170115

• Like 2

Thanks for all the replies. I dont have anywhere to test on dc and have tried a normal non sound Bachmann chip and non sound lenz chip in it with the same effect.

It might be a good idea to get yourself a DC test set-up. It is usually advisable to run-in in new models in DC to help bed in gears and brushes, distribute lubricant, and ensure pick ups are fine/working (offen running-in helps wear the chemical blackening off the wheel treads and wheel backs where the pick ups bear to improve electrical conductivity).

G

I'd agree that it's a good idea to run in on DC before chipping. Personally, I would never buy a DCC fitted new loco, as I'd prefer to run in on DC and fit the decoder of my choice. When I gave up DC a few years ago and started to build a DCC BLT, I bought a basic Bachmann analogue train set for around the retail price of just the loco itself, essentially making the carriages, controller and track freebies. Whenever I get a new loco, out comes the oval of track and the DC controller. Half an hour each way at mid-speed is usually good enough. It's always nice to watch a loco whizz round on a bare board - reminds me of being 10! Rolling roads are an obvious option for those without the space to set up an oval.

• Like 3

A good idea - will have a look through ebay for an analogue controller. Can easily construct a small oval track underneath the main layout.

In the meantime I've dusted off the Hornby 73's City of Winchester and Stewarts Lane and will put them back into use. Will look at Dapol again if they sort out their product.

Just thinking how different the launches of the SLW class 24's and Dapol 73's. Not an awful lot of difference in price, if,like me (poor eyesight), you have to get the sound fitted for you.