New OO gauge Class 73

The lady I spoke to originally was most helpful, and there was absolutely no mention of forms or cheques!

Sounds like it might be Nicola. She was the person I ordered my green class 22 and milk tanker set from a couple of years ago. That arrived without hassle.

I'm on the verge of giving up ever seeing this model, which I ordered in December! I placed an order over the telephone and despite assurances that I would receive soon - no sign of it!

I had trouble late last year with ordering this. Dapol took my details but nothing arrived, nor was any payment taken. I rang a couple of times to find out what was going on only to be assured that it had been dispatched and I should receive it imminently. After a further few calls I was told that I had ordered the DCC fitted version which hadn't arrived yet!

Dapol seem very disorganized as a retail set-up, and given the state of some of the class 73s I have received, on the manufaturing front too. That said I have two which I am pleased with and have been able to build a third out of the best bits of some others.

• RMweb Premium

Ah well, since posting my observations on the CV's and the running qualities (sic) of the model I have had to return the model to Kernows, this was done on 22/1/16, and, I am awaiting its return. The fault that occurred had been mentioned previously: the loco ran normally for a while, then stuttered and all lights went out, and then stopped dead. This fitted with a new Zimo mx634d decoder which had been tested prior to fitting.

An update:

I've been informed that back-to-backs which were a little tight; these were eased these slightly, bogie frames removed and the lubricants were cleaned off the pick-ups. The loco was tested and ran well.

I'm awaiting its return, but I believe this can be counted as resolved.

• RMweb Premium

An update:

I've been informed that back-to-backs which were a little tight; these were eased these slightly, bogie frames removed and the lubricants were cleaned off the pick-ups. The loco was tested and ran well.

I'm awaiting its return, but I believe this can be counted as resolved.

One ED back where it belongs; Kernow have carried out the work as described. It now runs as it should, beautifully smooth and quietly.

I have 3 of the new Dapol class 73, all 3 suffer from poor running, don't like point work any ideas as to how this could be improved, livery problems are well documented so I won't go into that, however I will mention missing roof details, on the electrical end fibre glass roof panels should be 2 raised circular vents, very prominent in pics but Dapol missed them totally, Unlike Lima they moulded them correctly.....such a pity as I will not order anymore unless Dapol improve their quality control.....

I have 3 of the new Dapol class 73, all 3 suffer from poor running, don't like point work any ideas as to how this could be improved...

Mentioned and cured by a few others several times back in the depths of this thread, but the problem is the thread itself has become a monster and takes half a day to find anything specific. From memory, slightly adjusting back-to-backs, cleaning wheels and adding extra pickups are some of the cures but you'd need to search back.

TMC had some of these on offer pre-weathered at the BRM show over the weekend so I bought one (IC 73102).

Detail of the model, fantastic once the exrta parts are fitted. The only flaw I had was the DCC Wiring Fault but I don't see that to be too much of an issue personally, 2min job to fix it. Runs great too. Very happy with it.

• RMweb Gold

Just noticed on eBay new 73s have dipped below the £100 mark.

I saw a few in the flesh at the Yate show on Saturday, and the blue was not as bad as I thought. After taking on board everyone's comments re problems, I'll still wait a bit, but wobbling on getting one now.

Neil

• RMweb Premium

Just noticed on eBay new 73s have dipped below the £100 mark.

I saw a few in the flesh at the Yate show on Saturday, and the blue was not as bad as I thought. After taking on board everyone's comments re problems, I'll still wait a bit, but wobbling on getting one now.

Neil

As I want to repaint one in a colour not yet released, I too, will wait.

Cheers,

Mick

With my heart in my mouth I have just bought a Dapol class 52 ( with SWD sound chip) from KMC after having had  two horrendous class 73s. Well all I can say is that it is absolutely brilliant. Did have a bit of a problem getting it to run through a diamond crossing - but that was MY fault the approach track wasn't truly straight and the problem was easily rectified. For a BIG (it is a big beast) Co Co model it is surprisingly 'agile' around a small (10ft by 5ft) layout!

How on earth can a company that produces a superb model like this descend to producing absolutely crap class 73s???????????? I don't understand!!

How on earth can a company that produces a superb model like this descend to producing absolutely crap class 73s???????????? I don't understand!!

I think it's fairly common knowledge that anything (be it a company of sorts or even family) can run into a rough patch... As always it will end at a certain point. The Class 73 as such isn't a bad model. It only suffers from poor assembly (including the DCC issues etc.).

• RMweb Premium

E6007 limited edition sold on ebay this morning for £171.99 + £7.95 postage.

And for all its self-detaching bits and alleged other faults mine, with its unique weathering application, is not for sale ;)