New OO gauge Class 73

All I notice, is that these look utterly superb! I have already suggested some minor tweaks to Joel & team (YWP, SWT Loco number font/position, NSE cab window surround), but so minor. Still I believe they shall listen to any constructed feedback, provided with research. Great looking 73s, well worth the wait!

Black windscreen surrounds on the EWS version

Black windscreen surrounds on the Network Rail version

Black windscreen surrounds on the Network SouthEast version

Orange/yellow windscreen surrounds on the Fragonset version

Something very strange going on with windscreen surrounds...

Edited by YesTor

Dapol has done E6001 first, for the collectors club.

Only the class 73/0’s wore green. E6001-E6006.

All 6 look to have been initially all over green no yellow ends at some point

I think you'll find that E6001 had small yellow panels when built, then the SR went off the idea and the other five didn't - although I don't know if they actually removed them on E6001 at some point. Also E6001 didn't have the pale band at the bottom of the body when built, this was added later.

I do wonder if some of E6002 - E6006 went direct from SR green to Rail Blue without a yellow panel being added whilst green, as I think was also the case with some 33's (in their case Brunswick).

John.

Edited by John Tomlinson

Black windscreen surrounds on the EWS version

Black windscreen surrounds on the Network Rail version

Black windscreen surrounds on the Network SouthEast version

Orange/yellow windscreen surrounds on the Fragonset version

Something very strange going on with windscreen surrounds...

For the three Olivia Exclusives, you shall have to contact them to point out any errors. As they are commissioning these limited editions. 

Personally, I wont be buying any of the Olivias, as clearly they allow Hattons to take on stock and significantly reduce the price. For me, there is one simple rule with a limited edition. Never reduce the price. Guaranteed way to lose my custom. 

I do wonder if some of E6002 - E6006 went direct from SR green to Rail Blue without a yellow panel being added whilst green, as I think was also the case with some 33's (in their case Brunswick).

There are photos of E6006 on page 21 of Modern Locomotive Illustrated 198 without a yellow panel (dated 19-3-66) and with a yellow panel working a train introduced in 1967.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Colour rails website has a good selection ofJA photos in Green with and without yellow ends, and later blue (with yellow ends).

As an aside, I’ve seen on Eastbanks website, a class 74/73 at Stewart’s lane in 1968.. the 73 was blue with full cab yellow ends / grey roof , was this the first loco to carry an early form of what would become large logo blue I wonder ?

I can’t make out the number, but it looks Pre-tops.

http://www.eastbank.org.uk/images/CL74/SR0101.jpg

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 2

I think you'll find that E6001 had small yellow panels when built, then the SR went off the idea and the other five didn't - although I don't know if they actually removed them on E6001 at some point. Also E6001 didn't have the pale band at the bottom of the body when built, this was added later.

John.

I'm pretty sure most of the green ones did gain small yellow panels before going into blue, but you are absolutely correct about some 33s never getting the yellow panels while in green. It is possible to find photos as late as 1967 with class 33s in green no yellow panel side by side with blue full yellow end examples. 

I can't find my references right now, but I suspect you are right about E6001 losing its yellow panel after the initial enthusiasm died away. 

The early livery changes for E6001 - 6 don't see to be well documented, either in text or in the photographic records. By contrast, all of the 73s seem to be well photographed in all of their livery variations from the 1980s onwards.

Colour rails website has a good selection ofJA photos in Green with and without yellow ends, and later blue (with yellow ends).

As an aside, I’ve seen on Eastbanks website, a class 74/73 at Stewart’s lane in 1968.. the 73 was blue with full cab yellow ends / grey roof , was this the first loco to carry an early form of what would become large logo blue I wonder ?

The early BR blue 73 deliveries with full yellow ends retained grey roofs for a while - I seem to recall E6039 was one of these. The one in the photo is well documented as an experimental application with the wrap-around yellow ends but the number escapes me right now - I'll edit later when I find it. There was a contemporary 4 CIG unit with a similar wrap-around yellow treatment on its green livery. Apparently someone high up saw these liveries and ordered them repainted in the 'correct' corporate schemes fairly quickly.

Edit: The relevant Modern Locomotives Illustrated issue shows the wrap-around end loco's identity as E6012. I had it in the back of my mind it was E6015. Will have to dig further to check this.

Edited by SRman
  • Like 1

A great find and I think a significant image. I wonder how many months/years the 73 ran in the (almost) large logo livery?

The early BR blue 73 deliveries with full yellow ends retained grey roofs for a while - I seem to recall E6039 was one of these. The one in the photo is well documented as an experimental application with the wrap-around yellow ends but the number escapes me right now - I'll edit later when I find it. There was a contemporary 4 CIG unit with a similar wrap-around yellow treatment on its green livery. Apparently someone high up saw these liveries and ordered them repainted in the 'correct' corporate schemes fairly quickly.

Edit: The relevant Modern Locomotives Illustrated issue shows the wrap-around end loco's identity as E6012. I had it in the back of my mind it was E6015. Will have to dig further to check this.

There were three or four that had the 'wrap-round' yellow ends. E6012 and E6018 for sure, and I also recall E6015 as one. The 4CIG with 'wrap-round' ends while in Green livery was 7303.

Edited by talisman56

Not sure on the shade of NSE blue here, is it too dark? Flickr etc shows the loco very differently.

The SWT looks good to me. I have absolutely no need for a Southern one but it does look rather nice!

Pass on your views to Dapol, they'll probably be able to answer you better.

Moreover when Hornby released their early Class 50s, people said the blue was too light. Many of the repaints I saw had a shade of blue darker than this shade used by Dapol. 

Not sure on the shade of NSE blue here, is it too dark? Flickr etc shows the loco very differently.

The SWT looks good to me. I have absolutely no need for a Southern one but it does look rather nice!

Looks OK to me, that may however simply be due to different settings on our monitors.

Remember that NSE blue had at least two variants, most obviously seen on the class 50's on which the original shade, which faded somewhat, was superceded by one a fair bit darker. The pic of the Dapol model above does look to me just like the later shade used on the 50's.

John.

Apropos of my last post, here's a couple of my snaps showing locos in later NSE blue, whereas the coaches have the earlier shade.

Both are at Worting Jn. on the 16th August 1991, 50033 is on the 06.42 Yeovil - Waterloo, 47715 on the 07.03 Salisbury - Waterloo. Two of my early scans, so not of the best, but hopefully make the point.

John.

post-7782-0-55183000-1531830558_thumb.jpg

post-7782-0-73974600-1531830583_thumb.jpg

Edited by John Tomlinson
  • Like 1

Looks OK to me, that may however simply be due to different settings on our monitors.

Remember that NSE blue had at least two variants, most obviously seen on the class 50's on which the original shade, which faded somewhat, was superceded by one a fair bit darker. The pic of the Dapol model above does look to me just like the later shade used on the 50's.

John.

I'm now querying whether it wore both shades. This picture shows a blue more similar to the blue on the Mk2s in your 47 photograph at Worting

https://goo.gl/images/SJSRMa

Whereas this image shows a darker blue closer to the model

https://goo.gl/images/CDbxxh

I know the paint will have faded over time which will have made the blue lighter, but I still think the Dapol image is a bit too dark.

Edited by SouthernMafia

E6018 was repainted into conventional style in 1969, so about 2 years. I can find no evidence of any other EDs being so painted.

E6012 is shown with a wrap round yellow end on page 26 of Modern Locomotives Illustrated 198 which is stated as being carried for a short period in the summer of 1967.