New OO gauge Class 73

• RMweb Gold

I think a CS/GBRf 73/9 would be a huge bonus to the current Class 73 range if Dapol took the risk and that’s the sticking point.  Even if they used the frame, drive train and bogies, they still have to go back to the drawing board for the body shell and under frame details.

I for one hope they bit the bullet and go for it but I understand their reluctance given that they can churn out umpteen variations from their current models.

1 hour ago, mikesndbs said:

Thanks, I agree, sadly things got worse and it's been sent back to Rails.

They even sent out return postage.

Hope the next one is in good order.

I have 4 of these models. 2 with modified pickups, though not quite like shown here as I only did the outer wheel sets on each bogie which I found was more than suffice.

When I did that, I glued all the bogie elements into place (they pop out as you take it apart, and I re-enforced those which did not). This also helps the bogie frames to point back in the right direction after leaving a curve (currently as the axles have large side play, the outer edges of the bogies often carry on pointing inwards after leaving a curve).

After that, they are fine models.

• Like 1

On 14/06/2019 at 03:55, MGR Hooper! said:

Yes they can and yes it is...but the entire underframe and body needs to be drawn up in a CAD program and the tooled up. That's another substantial part in terms of money.

But not ground up as you can use the existing CAD as a starting point...

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

I am still waiting for a 73/0 in blue or at least Dapol's interpretation of BR blue. I think the roof changed compared to the green ones? Otherwise I would just respray.

• Agree 1

19 hours ago, MGR Hooper! said:

Very little can be used from the existing CAD i.e. the basic internal chassis block and bogies at the most.

The body's basic dimensions and shape are unchanged, therefore editing those meshes would be a better starting point rather than starting from scratch.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, frobisher said:

The body's basic dimensions and shape are unchanged, therefore editing those meshes would be a better starting point rather than starting from scratch.

You're talking about the basic body dimensions, that's something that's possible only if the designer saved a copy of the basic file when designing the Class 73 JA and JB versions i.e. a 3D file that is only the basic body shape with all the common components like the cab windows etc.

If you give a designer the current Class 73 CAD files and tell him to convert it to a Class 73/9, that designer is going to have to sit a delete a lot of stuff. That's still going to be time consuming and it's going to reflect in his charges. I can assure you that a basic Class 73 shell with no detail can be drawn up quicker than sitting and deleting and re-shaping existing CAD.

Modifying CAD in this stage is something that is not necessarily the better option. A Class 73/9 bodyshell will probably be drawn up faster from scratch than compared to actually taking current CAD files and deleting all the incorrect details and then proceeding to modify existing CAD.

So editing an existing mesh isn't always a better starting point. With all the modifications carried out by BRUSH, it doesn't necessarily mean that modifying CAD is the better option.

• RMweb Gold

You seem to be making assumptions on the CAD designers abilities.

in my day with a cad you built it on layers.

every level of detail went on a different layer.

so to “turn back the clock” to a more basic level you just turn off those layers and create new layers for the new detail.

similarly to get back to a different variant you saved that config as a layer set (literally a set of layers).

has agile done away with basic fundamentals of CAD software engineering that allowed you to switch configurations in seconds ?

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

5 hours ago, MGR Hooper! said:

If you give a designer the current Class 73 CAD files and tell him to convert it to a Class 73/9, that designer is going to have to sit a delete a lot of stuff. That's still going to be time consuming and it's going to reflect in his charges. I can assure you that a basic Class 73 shell with no detail can be drawn up quicker than sitting and deleting and re-shaping existing CAD.

Well I suppose if you're dealing with a set of bad working practices then it may do.  My expectation of 3D modellers/designers may somewhat differ I expect

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, MGR Hooper! said:

You're talking about the basic body dimensions, that's something that's possible only if the designer saved a copy of the basic file when designing the Class 73 JA and JB versions i.e. a 3D file that is only the basic body shape with all the common components like the cab windows etc.

Modifying CAD in this stage is something that is not necessarily the better option. A Class 73/9 bodyshell will probably be drawn up faster from scratch than compared to actually taking current CAD files and deleting all the incorrect details and then proceeding to modify existing CAD.

So editing an existing mesh isn't always a better starting point. With all the modifications carried out by BRUSH, it doesn't necessarily mean that modifying CAD is the better option.

The Class 73 body CAD is quite simple, and the changes are not that big. A standard 73/1 body still is, as has been said, the right dimensions, shape, the cab windows are unchanged, the door positions are unchanged, lifting points unchanged. The sides / roof do not comprise much detail that needs to be removed.

The current 73 was drafted from a laser scan, to go back and recreate all of the above from a point cloud is a lot of work, as has been noted in other threads.

Roy

Edited by Roy Langridge

I've read though this whole thread (well, from around page 30 onwards) and on the back of it, I've ordered 73 141 from Hattons (no connection etc) for the grand sum of 69 quid.  The DCC problems I can sort out, the cab lights I'll blank off and I'm comfortable enough with a soldering iron to modify the pick-ups, thanks for everyone taking the time to post their resolutions.  

I've bought it with the intention of respraying into a Dept Grey example, so the actual livery I bought it in is irrelevant.  I was torn between detailing up a Limby version, using the grilles and detail parts available from DCC Supplies, but by the time you add up the cost of the base model, and all the parts then it was a no-brainer to just pick up a cheap Dapol one for it's level of chassis detailing if nothing else.

Edited by JiLo
spileng

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, JiLo said:

I've read though this whole thread (well, from around page 30 onwards) and on the back of it, I've ordered 73 141 from Hattons (no connection etc) for the grand sum of 69 quid.  The DCC problems I can sort out, the cab lights I'll blank off and I'm comfortable enough with a soldering iron to modify the pick-ups, thanks for everyone taking the time to post their resolutions.  

I've bought it with the intention of respraying into a Dept Grey example, so the actual livery I bought it in is irrelevant.  I was torn between detailing up a Limby version, using the grilles and detail parts available from DCC Supplies, but by the time you add up the cost of the base model, and all the parts then it was a no-brainer to just pick up a cheap Dapol one for it's level of chassis detailing if nothing else.

I'm sure you'll like it, once the mods are complete ( admittedly you shouldn't have to with a new model !) it's a world ahead of the Lima offering !!

Cheers,

Phil.

• Agree 2

On 21/06/2019 at 22:55, Phil Mc said:

I'm sure you'll like it, once the mods are complete ( admittedly you shouldn't have to with a new model !) it's a world ahead of the Lima offering !!

Cheers,

Phil.

I received the loco yesterday, finish is first class I must say and it's almost a shame to strip it but that's what I bought it for!

All the bits were intact, nothing loose nor in the box, a quick run round with Mek Pak has been performed to make sure things stay that way.  It displays all the faults and quirks mentioned a million times in this thread, but as I knew of these then I'll be sorting them out as I go along.  I did find it ran better with no.2 end leading around my (3rd radius) test circle.

I'll maybe post some photos when I get round to painting and sorting things

Joe

5 hours ago, mikesndbs said:

Replacement 73 seems to have the same issues, slightly better but concerning.

Is this common to your ED?

Mine is almost silent when running, almost no noise from the motor/gear train at all

• RMweb Premium
23 hours ago, mikesndbs said:

Aww, thanks, glad for you but does mean I have another duff one then :(

I've got 3, and none of them make that much noise !!

Cheers,

Phil.

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Harry Lime said:

OK, now I'm really confused (see my post no...oops I forgot, we don't have post numbers under this new regime...dated June 2019)

Rails of Sheffield are now saying that there will be five liveries arriving in July: https://railsofsheffield.com/groups/2758/Dapol-oo-class-73s

:blink:

When I was at the great central railway event I asked one of the guys at Dapol about the 73s and he did say they were on a their way as we speak. So hopefully they'll soon be in the shops.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, NIRCLASS80 said:

Looks like the latest batch of livery releases have arrived according to Hattons site. 

Thanks, E6002 in BR plain green ordered!

Al

If anyone gets their hands on one of these latest versions, would they care to comment about the pick-up issues, the livery applications and any other info that would keep my wallet a bit fuller than I fear it may become?

• Funny 1