Layout planning software for Mac?

Black Sheep

I'm at a stage in building my layout where I've got to rip up most of the track and am pondering what I might be able to fit in the same space, I'd also like to plan some future layouts while I've got the ideas in my head.

I'm also desperately after things to do while my wife watches Britain's got talent!!!!

I only have a mac available to me and my bank says I have no money so I'm looking for the best free software (would happily use a demo version) to have a play with.

I intend to plan in N gauge if that makes any difference :)

Sorry if this has been asked before,

Thanks

• RMweb Gold
I only have a mac available to me and my bank says I have no money so I'm looking for the best free software (would happily use a demo version) to have a play with.

Hi,

For a Mac -- Linux is free, Wine is free, Templot is free, XTrackCad is free, and AnyRail is free for up to 50 track pieces.

See: http://85a.co.uk/for...=946&forum_id=1

If you need an easy Mac installer for Linux/Wine, Crossover has a free trial period.

Use AnyRail or XTrackCad if you are planning to use ready-made track such as Peco.

Use Templot if you are planning to build your own track.

regards,

Martin.

I'm not set up to run windows, I am running the most up-to-date OSX so x11 might not be an issue, i'll give it a go,

thanks.

I run a Mac with OS Lion,I used boot camp to install windows 7 on it. I use Anyrail and some other windows specific programs on it.I don't connect to the internet from the Windows side so I've not had to install all the anti this,anti that programs and I don't get the irritating constant windows updates.

I believe if you've got an OS earlier than Lion you can install XP in bootcamp.

Allan

got an older version of XtrakCad to fire up but it gets as far as running the terminal and stalls :(

the newer versions just don't want to know, they make no effort to install, dragging them into the applications folder copies them across but thats about all it does.

The site Gingerbread pointed me to doesn't seem to have much on it in the way of solutions and I'm unable to post as yahoo's site doesn't seem to allow me to finish the sign up process for my account.

where's that pencil and paper gone? :P

I have Anyrail working now so will have a play with that, just got to get used to the software now :)

Now have XtrakCad running under wine (windows version of xtrakcad) so able to use that.

does anyone know if it's possible to drop a photo in as a background to work from? thinking it'll be easier working from the sketch than guess work :)

Thanks

Thanks for that Phil, seems to work nicely so will continue having a play (it doesn't seem to show any curves however in the peco N track, could be i'm working in streamline)

anyone got any idea how to insert an image as a background in any of the above programs?

trying to work from a signalling diagram

thanks

• RMweb Gold
anyone got any idea how to insert an image as a background in any of the above programs?

In AnyRail:

1. click Insert.

2. set the Width and Height dimensions larger than you want the image to be.

3. click Add Rectangle and then click on the drawing to create one at that size.

4. click an edge or a corner of the rectangle to select it.

5. click Tools > Lines and surfaces > Load image...

6. navigate to your image file.

7. Change the Width dimension to get the image to the correct size. It could be tricky to get it just right.

In Templot there are full background image import and scaling functions, but Templot doesn't work with Peco track, sorry.

regards,

Martin.

• 1 year later...

I've run out of pieces on my current plan so thought I'd pay for Anyrail, the software key came quickly but doesn't work on the older version I'm running so downloaded the new one.

installed it through wine / winebottler as before and it all seems to be as it should be, however it won't run, it starts loading and then crashes.

Has anyone got Anyrail 5 running on OSX via wine?

Received an e-mail this morning from Anyrail (well, the company behind it) with both a software key for the older version of Anyrail and, while they don't officially support running it using wine they do try to try to ensure it is compatible.

They're currently looking into the issue to try and help me get version 5 running.

• 1 month later...

On my iMac, I have installed Wine/Winebottler, and subsequently Templot within it.  

A quick test tonight seems to show that Templot is functioning pretty well (I haven't tried everything, or printing yet), so up to now I am pretty happy as I need to re-draw the layout plan I am hoping to build since switching to a Mac from a Windows PC a few weeks ago.

Ian

• 2 months later...

I use railmodeller for OS X. Not free, but shareware, so you can test it out before buying.

Regards,

Phil.

Phil

How do you get on with Railmodeller?  Do the libraries cover Peco Streamline Code 75 - I can't see which is which.

Have you or has anyone else used it for EM?

Chris

• 1 month later...

I use RailModeller 4.1.8 with Mavericks OS which I use on a MacBook Air.

Although I don't use Streamline, I have just had a look, and it does have the track rail set for Peco N Streamline.

I like the program because if you have a query, you can talk to the chap who wrote the program.

David

Archived