L&LSR 4-8-0 No.12

Killybegs

The combination of outside Walachaerts and slide valves is an unusual feature. Clearing the ashpan cannot have been the most joyful job. Was the asphan arrangement divided around the no3 coupled axle, or was the grate and ashpan shallow and all above the axle?

Lovely characterful model it makes. You can see where Swndon got the inspiration for their Dukefog.

I think it captures the look of the beast superbly - though i never remember the original in real life (too young...). What a shame that the preservation movement wasn't in being back then. It has some resemblance to some South African steam locos which also had 8 coupled wheels and outside frames.

Colm

• RMweb Premium

Clearing the ashpan cannot have been the most joyful job. Was the asphan arrangement divided around the no3 coupled axle, or was the grate and ashpan shallow and all above the axle?

Not sure about this particular loco, but I've seen internal drawings of another Swilly loco type that show the ashpan divided front and rear of the coupled axle with the grate above. Presumably it was emptied to the front and rear, into a pit between the rails.

Very impressive model,

Cheers, Dave.

Archived