Project Builds, Detailing, Painting, Weathering

Atlas Trainman Plus BNSF Genset Makeover

• RMweb Premium

Hi Dan,

Looking forward to seeing your new layout at Tolworth in Nov! As regards sound, some of the lads at Model Junction fitted were testing a sound fitted Genset the other week - sounded really good.  One extra that I want to add to the UP Genset will be a set of working RC beacons on the cab roof - I took this photo from the rear Sleeping Car of the Texas Eagle in 2008:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/27874750@N04/2597757506/

Regards

Chris

Has anyone had any joy getting the finer handrails for these. Atlas have just emailed, to say that they are out of stock, my order is cancelled and they won't be getting any more in stock. Bit disappointed as I first ordered when they were announced, that order vanished in the ether and the reorder has been binned. Will need to practise my tiny drilling skills!

John

thanks for that! Mmmm......interesting. I have 5 sets on order of various colours on order via Model Junction (some for friends) so I guess I'll have to sit and wait to see if anything materialises.

BTW are the new run of Gensets themselves out?

Dan

I ordered a set of PHL .Havnt had a cancellation yet .My order was confirmed by a guy at atlas but who knows .Like others I better get some brass stanchions ordered .Tsunami are making a proper decoder as well .

PS Just got a new list come through from Atlas  a minute ago showing Genset II being available and also replacement handrail sets .Confusing old life innit ?

thanks Koos

As an aside I mailed Model Junction this week as to whether my handrail order had arrived but not the response that it hadn't and Atlas hadn't given any indication of a date whether they would be available. So it looks like 'Plan B' so time to break out the miniature drills and the 0.40 wire to alter the stock stantions with hand bend rails

Dan

thanks Koos

As an aside I mailed Model Junction this week as to whether my handrail order had arrived but not the response that it hadn't and Atlas hadn't given any indication of a date whether they would be available. So it looks like 'Plan B' so time to break out the miniature drills and the 0.40 wire to alter the stock stantions with hand bend rails

Dan

Given Atlas' supply problems this maybe isn't a surprise, I wonder if they only ever scored a small batch and that went on the home market. Minature drills, wire and brave pills required. Replacing the handrails on mine has gone back to the bottom of the to-do list!

• 2 months later...

Model Junction now have the finer  Genset handrails.I have just obtained   a set for my PHL Genset  from them .Great service as always .Still waiting to hear from Atlas so assume order lost in system .

Farah emailed to say that they had a lot of breakages, so they've sent me two UP part sets and a black set. At first glance they look incredibly fragile, as if they are made of ordinary polystyrene rather than the usual slippery plastic. However, at the worst it'll give me a lot of spares to try drilling out!

Ordered a BNSF set when they appeared on Model Junction's website a couple of weeks ago. A big improvement on the original but quite delicate and a fiddle to fit. I hadn't realised that the end handrails were made up of multiple parts, rather than being a single moulding as per usual on NA loco models. Still it was worth the effort. Not sure if I can summon up the courage to re-do the headlight etc so I can properly model this one I saw in Texas a couple of years ago.

post-17228-0-20327500-1400827323_thumb.jpgpost-17228-0-14827600-1400827407_thumb.jpg

• 6 months later...

Update on the paint used for my custom mix for BNSF Orange (all Vallejo):

70956 Light Orange

70915 Deep Yellow

70876 Brown Sand

Cheers

Dan

Hi Dan,

Just a quick question, can you remember the mixing portions of these Model Colour acrylics which you used to make up the BNSF Orange?

No worries if you can't, just think the info might come in useful in the future.

Cheers

Chris 

Archived