Ex works

Garry Morris

I'm not a fan of the Second Generation modern traction but I drove past Laira this morning and HST power car 43029 was posed outside the works on it's own in the sunshine. It looked absolutely stunning with every detail picked out, freshly shopped, gleaming as though it was brand new. Well done Laira. Reminscent of those shots of Kings outside Swindon! Well not quite, but it certainly is a credit to the pride of the staff at Laira when you think of how many million miles it has on the clock. I wish I had had my camera with me! Anyone else see it? It's most likely in traffic now but I think they had posed it for everyone to see as it was out the front. I doubt we'll see another such world beating British design such as the HST again and yet it is still hard to enthuse about them. Today is their heyday; tomorrow they will be gone to be replaced with something that is even more mundane!

• RMweb Gold

I never knew this until I started paying attention to the captions in books about diesel hydraulics, but in the days of the BR main works like Swindon, there was a limit on the area of a loco that could be painted by depots like Laira. This was a union agreement, presumably to safeguard work at the main works....

I never knew this until I started paying attention to the captions in books about diesel hydraulics, but in the days of the BR main works like Swindon, there was a limit on the area of a loco that could be painted by depots like Laira. This was a union agreement, presumably to safeguard work at the main works....

Morning CK,

This was why Laira were not allowed to carry out complete repaints on their own Westerns until the end of 1972!

Strangely though, this 'rule' didn't stop the chaps at Old Oak painting two of their 'namer' 47s in 1971...

• RMweb Premium

I'm not a fan of the Second Generation modern traction but I drove past Laira this morning and HST power car 43029 was posed outside the works on it's own in the sunshine. It looked absolutely stunning with every detail picked out, freshly shopped, gleaming as though it was brand new. Well done Laira. Reminscent of those shots of Kings outside Swindon! Well not quite, but it certainly is a credit to the pride of the staff at Laira when you think of how many million miles it has on the clock. I wish I had had my camera with me! Anyone else see it? It's most likely in traffic now but I think they had posed it for everyone to see as it was out the front. I doubt we'll see another such world beating British design such as the HST again and yet it is still hard to enthuse about them. Today is their heyday; tomorrow they will be gone to be replaced with something that is even more mundane!

There were 2 powercars sat outside today gleaming. I was driving so was unable to get numbers.

Archived