WESTERN LIVERIES 1961 - 1977

Rugd1022

• RMweb Gold

Excellent job Nidge. The Swindon bufferbeam 'yellow' was very definitely a 'bright' version - far more so than warning yellow and something of a shock the very first time I saw (and photographed the loco - alas in b&w) outside A shop at Swindon in process of final work and adjustments before trials.

I do wonder about the 'grey' widow pillars as they always struck me as being far more grey than the almost duck-egg colour used on the Hymeks but alas although I've got pics of both when new they are - of course - again in b&w :rolleyes:

• RMweb Premium

Exellent resourse, thanks Nidge.

When you get to D1036, will you able to include details on the different number plate position? Just a thought as one to go for that's slightly different, assuming they were already positioned slightly higher when the loco was green.

Oh gawd this could get expensive....

Thanks for the comments guys, I hope it's useful to those who are after the info ;) .

I was really hoping to get all seventy four locos done in one post, but as I was typing it all out yesterday and double / triple / quadruple checking as I went along, I had to keep digging out various books for reference and doing so I came across clear evidence of all of those minute but necessary bufferbeam detail variations etc which as far as I can tell, haven't been rounded up in one place of reference before.... hence I ran out of time! If I don't get the Crewe built machines done today I'll probably leave it for Saturday as I have two twelve hour shifts coming up tomorrow and Friday (on sacred Western Region metals, huzzah!) . All of the info is to hand and already written out in rough, I just need to be sure it's right before posting. Good job I'm checking as I go along as I've just noticed another detail variation on D1030 since I came home from work!

Andrew - yes, D1036's high level numberplates will get a look in! They were fitted higher up from new and stayed that way until withdrawal.... there's at least one published photo of it being painted green at Crewe with the numberplate in place but no nameplate fitted at the time the pic was taken. Emperor would make a nice choice for a Dapol release - it carried three distinct liveries in it's fourteen year career.

Peter - Peaks....? Computer says no... we don't 'do' Derby in this house matey!! :P

Edited by Rugd1022
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Thanks again to Nidge's hard work.

The only addition (Devil in the detail) I can make is the late Laira repaints. Off the top of my head D1026 Centurion had this with silver cabside valance footrests and windscreen surrounds. She looked stunning when I first saw her in July 1974, and had only just received this treatment. There were others that had this minor detail difference, but I'm away from my Curtis "Western Mythology" book which is my first point of reference to such livery variants. Will add when I'm back in the UK.

Neil

Edited by Downendian
B***** autocorrect!

Morning Neil,

I was planning on doing the Laira repaints after posting 'Part 2' of the main list, but feel free to add it yourself squire! Might get around to doing Part 2 later today if I have time, I've got a 'Sweeney' style photo shoot / meet up with the Rover in London tomorrow so need to get it looking ship shape and Bristol fashion!

• 5 years later...

In Strathwood Books "Looking back at Westerns" page 19 has a pic quoted as D1021 Western Cavalier in MFYE livery dated 26/12/68,is this a misprint or did it carry this for a very short time before going BR blue?

Rob

Hi Rob,

I bought this picture as a print ages ago,and thought at the time that the info was wrong.My guess is that it's a misprint,I think it could be D1012 Western Firebrand,which carried mfye from 03/68 to 03/71.

Neil

• 2 years later...

Many moons ago somebody suggested to me that D1001 started out with mid-grey roof hatches, which would have been unique on a maroon loco, but then it was the very first one. I've never seen a photo of it brand new, but I must admit that in a couple of shots from ground level not long after introduction the visible roof hatch areas between the patches of exhaust soot do appear to be grey. Discuss?!

I also logged this loco as running without a number plate around 1974 (can't look up the date at the moment, notebooks packed away) but it must have regained it soon after. I've never seen any other reference to this so was I seeing things?

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, Neil Phillips said:

Many moons ago somebody suggested to me that D1001 started out with mid-grey roof hatches, which would have been unique on a maroon loco, but then it was the very first one. I've never seen a photo of it brand new, but I must admit that in a couple of shots from ground level not long after introduction the visible roof hatch areas between the patches of exhaust soot do appear to be grey. Discuss?!

I also logged this loco as running without a number plate around 1974 (can't look up the date at the moment, notebooks packed away) but it must have regained it soon after. I've never seen any other reference to this so was I seeing things?

A number of Westerns suffered side-swipe damage, which could easily have damaged a raised numberplate enough to require replacement. Whether this happened to D1001 I do not know.

• Informative/Useful 1

• 1 year later...
27 minutes ago, Staffordshire said:

Hi,

Just a question if I may, I do not think it has already been asked ?

Did the Westerns  have Workplates,  if so  where were they positioned ??

Many thanks ...

Amidships, beneath the solebar. 

D9521

I bloody love hydraulics, even the models get me hearing that high revving in my minds ear.  I have memories of what must have been double headed warships running through Dawlish, and just love Westerns.  Lovely looking models from the glimpse.  Love the blue data panel on the Warship.

Merry Christmas

Matt W

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

22 hours ago, D826 said:

D9521

I bloody love hydraulics, even the models get me hearing that high revving in my minds ear.  I have memories of what must have been double headed warships running through Dawlish, and just love Westerns.  Lovely looking models from the glimpse.  Love the blue data panel on the Warship.

Merry Christmas

Matt W

A few more for you of Westerns and Warships 

E34BA0B2-9A78-431E-A1A8-DDC1396D78A7.jpeg

EF6B523C-10CE-4324-A2F8-14FCD8E55700.jpeg

C83B448D-5BF3-4576-90A9-5B8E4F174C51.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

On 14/12/2020 at 10:44, Staffordshire said:

Thanks,    Were the plates, just the normal oval Crewe or Swindon Works plates   ??

The works plate and all the gubbins.  No idea in regards to how the "connections" have changed over the years, D1015 has been in preservation for almost three times as long as she had been in service on BR.

11784770983_22c8dea990_b.jpgD1015 connections Grosmont May 2008 by Pete Piszczek, on Flickr

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

On 17/12/2020 at 18:34, D826 said:

D9521

Merry Christmas

Matt W

• Like 3

6 hours ago, TheEngineShed said:

The works plate and all the gubbins.  No idea in regards to how the "connections" have changed over the years, D1015 has been in preservation for almost three times as long as she had been in service on BR.

11784770983_22c8dea990_b.jpgD1015 connections Grosmont May 2008 by Pete Piszczek, on Flickr

Brilliant, thanks to everyone ...

WesternAmbassador.D1051.Maroon.JPG

• Like 2