00 Watermills

AndyB

Hi, all,

I'm planning on putting a watermill and stream scene on my 00 layout.

I really like the Scenecraft model but have never really got much out of the buy and plonk method.

So, my attention is turning to the Wills kit watermill. (Easter holiday means a few days at the MiL's and time on my hands!).

First question, does anyone know the dimensions? I'd like to see if it'll fit in the space available before handing over hard earned loot.

Second question does anyone have any photos of their version of this kit? The only image I can find is the one on the packaging.

Third question, I read somewhere that the Craftsmans kits are slightly more involved than the average type of kit. Can anyone tell me in which way this is the case?

Many thanks and look forward to hearing your thoughts. :)

Andy

Third question, I read somewhere that the Craftsmans kits are slightly more involved than the average type of kit. Can anyone tell me in which way this is the case?

Not done this one so can only comment on the last question. The main difference is that you will require a scalpel and will end up cutting out things like windows and doors. They tend to be a half way between the traditional all parts moulded and ready to pluck off a sprue and a start from scratch with a pack of Wills sheets. Of course that generally gives more scope to make them personalised - if you like that sort of thing.

I just bought this kit for my layout, and this is what you get:

post-13158-0-41085400-1332881456_thumb.jpg

as Kenton mentioned, not really a kit, except for the sluice gates and water wheel. If you build it as drawn in the templates, the main building will be 122 mm by 86 mm, the sluice gates & water wheel about 90 mm by 80 mm.

Hope this helps!

Sierd Jan

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't started a layout thread for my current 00 effort in the garage yet (waiting for inspiration for a name!).

But for now, imagine a single track, steam era (GWR ?) round-roundy along one long wall and the end wall of the garage.

The photos below are mainly meant to show how I hope the watermill will fit into the scene, tucked below and behind a girder bridge that spans a wooded valley. I photocopied the template supplied with the kit, cut and folded it to show what the completed building would look like. The photos below also show the bridge, sluice gates and wheel.

Landscaping is going well (sorry white plaster isn't the easiest backdrop) but thought I'd show you progress so far. The valley will be wooded and a mirror will be placed at the end of the river to give added depth to the scene.

post-4299-0-44819700-1334174239_thumb.jpg .

post-4299-0-79515700-1334174525_thumb.jpg

post-4299-0-92551800-1334174722_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• 7 years later...
  • RMweb Premium

I have this to build. Problem being the plans are on one sheet of A3. I am sure I have a spare copy that I copied at work to cut up to assist the build. I can have a look later? If not I’ll try and scan it in 2 halves for you if that’s any good?.

Steve aka Ramrig

• Thanks 1