Dapol West Country & Rebuilt West Country

TomE

• RMweb Gold

I hoped to ask Dave about this at Alexandra Palace at the weekend, but couldn't penetrate the crowd to do so as I passed the Dapol stand, soooo, any news on the West Country? There are 4 of these on the MHR (2 un-rebuilt & 2 re-built) so it's a pretty vital model to my Ropley project!

Any update would be much appreciated, maybe even CAD views (that's the cheeky bit ;) )

Many thanks,

Tom.

Edited by TomE

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Another cheeky request re BR West Country please could you nick some BR green paint from Farish its the one thing that Bachmann seem to get consistently better.

Dapol and Hornby 00 BR green steam locos both seem to have a similar finish with a high standard for the lining but the BR green in both cases always looks too light/ washed out.

I know some people you can never satisfy ... :senile:

Sorry Dave if it sounds nit picking ...the time and effort you put into interacting with us on RMWeb is very much appreciated

Am loking forward to purchasing a Dapol West Country !

R

Hi Dave,

Thanks for posting, I too am eagerly awaiting to buy some WC's. I would like to have the "Southern Locomotives Ltd" collection too! This includes Manston, 257 Squadron, Sir Keith Park, Eddystone and of course Sidmouth. Are these being planned for the future??

Many thanks in advance.

Chris

• Like 2

Another cheeky request re BR West Country please could you nick some BR green paint from Farish its the one thing that Bachmann seem to get consistently better.

Dapol and Hornby 00 BR green steam locos both seem to have a similar finish with a high standard for the lining but the BR green in both cases always looks too light/ washed out.

I know some people you can never satisfy ... :senile:

R

Being one of those who used to annoy George Smith by renumbering and weathering Dapol locos :butcher: , it is easier to get the numbers off the Dapol paint finish than the Bachmann//Farish.........

" I know some people you can never satisfy ... :senile:"

All the very best

Les

To echo 34010-34005's comment, locos like Eddystone and 257 Squadron would be an instant buy in my books. Any of the Bulleids that run at Swanage or the Mid Hants fall slap bang into the "I don't care how much they cost, I want them" category!

• 3 weeks later...

Just out of curiosity, have any names/numbers been chosen for the SR Pacifics yet? If not, please can I get my vote in for 34002 "Salisbury" as the late crest loco. It was not a rebuilt example and was on Railtour duty in the mid-60s, thus justifing a nice clean loco. Notably it hauled the Cornubian special to Penzance in 1964, the last steam loco to go there prior to preservation and the only SR Pacific ever to go there.

I know I can rename/number a loco but I thought it would be a good suggestion to get in now. ;)

• RMweb Gold

yes all names, product codes, numbers and liveries were published in the press release when we announced them.

These details were published in October

ND208a Battle Of Britain #21C164 Southern Railways Green (Un-Rebuilt)

ND208b West Country #34098 ‘Templecombe’ BR Green late crest (Rebuilt)

ND208d Battle of Britain #34066 ‘Spitfire’ BR Green Late Crest (Un-Rebuilt)

ND208e Battle of Britain #34088 ‘213 Squadron’ BR Green Late Crest (Rebuilt)

ND208h West Country #34030 ‘Watersmeet’ BR Late Crest (Un-Rebuilt)

See https://www.model-railways-live.co.uk/News/Dapol_New_Releases_in_N_Gauge_Include_Gresley_Pacific_Steam_Locomotive/ for further details.

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Ok, a few observations based on the two CAD images shown in the new releases thread. I want to make it clear that I intend this to be constructive feedback based on the first sight of the images, not just criticism for criticisms sake. I'm operating under the belief it will be easier to change things whilst the model is in electronic format, rather than once metal is cut, assuming of course that metal hasn't already been cut!! So, here goes:

• The Cab sides look rather flat in comparison to the real thing. Whilst the curvature is not great, it is there and the flatness of the CAD gives a rather odd appearence to the cab. Hopefully the images below highlight this better than I can describe.

B1.jpg

• What the above images also show is the window pillar is quite thick compared to the prototype, but I guess this is a result of moulding limitations in this scale?

• The buffer beam seems to sit too high or it may also be that the cylinders are slightly too deep. The bottom edge of the beam should be about level with the bottom edge of the cylinders and there should be more beam below the buffers than above, i.e. the buffers are not on the centerline of the beam. I accept this may be due to coupling clearing issues, but looking at the CAD it appears it could still be dropped down slightly? The main effect this has on the model is that it gives it a sort of 'hunched up' appearance at the front.

B2.jpg

• I've also never seen that bar across the front of the leading pony truck before on any variant of the class, perserved or in service. It seems to be a completley spurious detail! The shape of the gaurd irons could also stand some improvement, with less of the straight section after the bend

B4.jpg

• The Tender shown here also needs some attention to the top. The coal space seems to be much too wide with an extra angle which is not present on the prototype. This has pushed out the first vertical section of the side into the path of the tender spectacle plates. Bullied tenders seem to be something of a minefield, and I'm no expert, so perhaps someone else can better comment on this.

B3.jpg

• It's a pitty that the ashpan detail has had to be sacrifced for the rear pony truck. Is there no possibility of taking an approach similar to Hornby's OO version in this area?

I hope the above is taken as intended. The CADs show great promise, and certainly a complete world away from what we've had before in N, although I'm not a great believer in comparing models to models. I'm really looking forward to at least a couple of these running on Ropley in the near future.

Cheers,

Tom.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

In addition to the above, just noticed that the CAD for the un-rebuilt West Country has been added to the New Release post. Have to say its looking very nice! However as with the re-built version there are a couple of things that stand out:

• The Cylinders should have a flat face to them. I can only assume that those on the CAD are rounded out at the bottom to accomodate the valve gear being to far out due to the scale? It does look rather odd though.

B5.jpg

• I also note that the CAD here has the orginal cladding around the edges of the buffer beam. Will this be the only body style available or will there be a version with it removed as appears to be more common during their service life and in preservation?

• The area around the blastpipe is missing the slope up to meet the roof cladding at the rear edge and the flat section of the roof should continue right up to the rear edge of the pipe, the same width as the diameter of the pipe.

B7.jpg

• Again the tender top looks very odd. Given the lack of fine details I suspect these are early CADs?

B6.jpg

As mentioned in the previous post, these are looking like fine models, but a few tweaks here and there could propel them to being the best N gauge Pacifics to date!

Cheers,

Tom.

• Like 5

Hi , Rest assured these were early cad/cam images.

things like the correct profile pony wheels, tender, separate valances for the correct livery plus some( not all) of the points raised here have already been sorted on the revised V3 cad/cam. However some points here are quite improtant to the 'look' and they are also now being worked on.

cheers

Dave

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

Many thanks Dave, that's good to hear! Looking forward to seeing the latest images at some point.

Cheers,

Tom.

Edited by TomE
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Tom / Dave

I too was going to raise many of the issues you have included above from my initial view ofthe CADs but also understand they were the first off CAD's. Like you Dave with respect to the cyclinders my first reaction was similar.

With respect to your comment Tom

"The area around the blastpipe is missing the slope up to meet the roof cladding at the rear edge and the flat section of the roof should continue right up to the rear edge of the pipe, the same width as the diameter of the pipe."

This chimney cowl is a variation within the class and time period modelled so as it stands would be correct for some variants at some stage in their life.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

This chimney cowl is a variation within the class and time period modelled so as it stands would be correct for some variants at some stage in their life.

Thanks Graham for the clarification on that. I'd based my observation on the two un-rebuilt examples on the MHR, Wadebridge & Swanage, both of which have the cowl.

Dapol pretty much has free regin with my wallet when it comes to these, with 2 un-rebuilt and 2 re-built examples on the line, although I think Bodmin will be departing elsewhere before it's next overhauled.

I have had some dealings with the Chinese in the day job, so I can sympathise a little with Dave when it comes to working with them!

Cheers,

Tom.

• RMweb Gold

Dave

I assume from the locomotive numbers so far advised for the original style locos being produced that you are initially doing the 8'6" wide cab versions is there any intention to allow for the later 9' wide cab versions?

• RMweb Gold

Good news on both counts dave, with respect to the cab it would depend at which point the cab moulding starts as the width change on the 9' versions starts right from the bottom of the side. Also if it is a spearate moulding that would also possibly allow for the original style flt fronted cab to be produced (somehting not even Hornby havd allowed for)