Dapol West Country & Rebuilt West Country

TomE

• RMweb Premium

Hi,

£199?  :O

I had missed that part of the announcement.

Not mentioned in that quoted RRP is which specification? - DCC Ready/DCC Installed/DCC Sound Installed.  On the other hand the comparable DJM King is due to jump to £169.95 RRP when they go into general production rather than the initial funded versions.

I'm glad that they are back as they are a 'must have' but the days of buying multiple examples of the same type almost by default are over for me...

Regards, Gerry.

£199?  :O

Presumably that's the RRP but is that the fixed sound version price (only available direct from Dapol) or the non-sound price which will probably be discounted down by retailers?

G

Based on the Class 50 prices it would seem that a DCC sound version from Dapol will cost about GBP140 more than a base model at a 15% discount from a retailer. Given that DCC sound should be a simple plug-in, I think many of us will be will be going for the base model plus a third party sound chip at around the GBP100 mark.

• 2 weeks later...

Good luck with seeing anything in plastic. The model is going to be mostly die-cast construction and they plan to have stainless-steel con rods this time. So overall a better improvement in materials

We've all seen what a beautiful model the Class 68 is so I personally don't understand your doubt over this? It is part of their "Next Generation" lineup so why will they take a step backwards if they've already used this better design philosophy on the Class 68 and Class 50 (and also the Class 59).

A steam loco is not a diesel? One is a whole lot easier to get running well than the other.

Chris

In order to separate this thread from the optimistic (!) original Dapol announcement back in 2011 and the years of froth following that, I would suggest that the 2018 postings on this thread be included in a new thread titled "Dapol Air-Smoothed West Country/Battle of Britain" as the company have clearly stated that the "Modified / Rebuilt" version is not planned for development at this time. 

And Dapol have the ability to make a good steam locomotive, especially with their new generation chassis! Why don't you just wait and see?

I've been waiting 7 years already and am not getting any younger. I do wonder whether I will actually get to see this one. I estimate that in the intervening years about 10% of the potential customers for this model have passed away.

As to the quality, I will have to wait and see. They have a nice benchmark to aim for in the latest Farish steam locomotives.

Chris

I've been waiting 7 years already and am not getting any younger. I do wonder whether I will actually get to see this one. I estimate that in the intervening years about 10% of the potential customers for this model have passed away.

As to the quality, I will have to wait and see. They have a nice benchmark to aim for in the latest Farish steam locomotives.

Chris

The 10% death statistic is a bit unnecessary! Dapol can set their own benchmarks and don't need to look at Graham Farish.

I'm happy with my Dapol steamies. They look good and the ones with traction tyres pull well. The wires between tender and loco are a pain as is the cardan shaft if they are handled badly. The more they run the queiter they are. Announcements so far suggest Dapol will have fixed many issues on this model.

I'm happy with my Dapol steamies. They look good and the ones with traction tyres pull well. The wires between tender and loco are a pain as is the cardan shaft if they are handled badly. The more they run the queiter they are. Announcements so far suggest Dapol will have fixed many issues on this model.

I echo your statements! Love my Britannia...the only issue I had was the traction tires warping in the heat.

The BoB/WC will have loco-drive! So even better news.

• RMweb Gold

And Dapol have the ability to make a good steam locomotive, especially with their new generation chassis!

Since no-one outside of Dapol has even seen their “new generation” chassis in operation, I don’t know how you can claim that with such confidence!

In my own experience, Dapol’s track record with steam mechanisms is sketchy at best, so I’m hoping & waiting with fingers crossed that they can come up with something at least equal to the performance now being produced by Bachmann.

The 10% death statistic is a bit unnecessary! Dapol can set their own benchmarks and don't need to look at Graham Farish.

Actually they do need to look to Graham Farish, because they are the market leaders in terms of quality & reliability and have been for some time now. Dapol should be looking to at least equal them and at best exceed them. They've proven they can do this with diesels in the Class 68, whether they can do it with steam remains to be seen. 

Tom.

Edited by TomE
  • Like 1

While Dapol may not want to set benchmarks based on current GF models, the people who are likely to buy it are probably compare it to the latest Farish kettles. So it better be an improvement on their current locos.

As a large user of both Dapol and Farish kettles I am in the position of being able to make direct comparisons.

I have ten Farish Peppercorn A1 and A2 pacifics and over twice that number of Dapol Gresley A3 and A4 Pacifics, plus 4 Britannias..  These in a roster of about seventy steam for Hawthorn Dene (plus diesels) and an analogue fleet for Rise Park.

Farish have the advantage of not having a driveshaft to fall out if mishandled - but picking them up by the valve gear causes that to fall apart.  Dapol's Pacifics are stronger than Farish -particularly since Farish decided with the A2 not to include the second set of traction tyres. That meant that I had to purchase extra wheelsets as spares in order to get 7 coaches hauled reliably on the average exhibition hall gradient. (Please don't mention adjusters as a good 25% of halls have gradients too steep for adjusters to cope with.)  My A3s are rostered for my heaviest trains, which even Farish pacifics with two sets of traction tyres won't look at.  On the other hand the A4 is more track sensitive than any of the other three types, but Farish's swingy bogie is a bit of a nightmare to put on the track and despite holding the track better in general causes much more havoc when it does come off.  I have one A1 and one A4 that seem to prefer the repairer's company to mine.  The rest perform well, but need to be kept on top of in terms of oiling, dust removal and general maintenance. Neglect ANY and they will give problems. 

Farish's B1 does look a little better than Dapol's but in terms of sheer pulling power again the Farish wouldn't look at the coal train my Dapol B1s pull.  One of the B1s on the coal train has now done about 30 miles (REAL miles) and is starting to wear out- just 5 miles short of the mileage needed to wear out a Union Mills motor....    I now have eight Dapol B1s on the roster for Hawthorn Dene plus one with a burnt-out circuit board which I bypassed.  This one is analogue for Rise Park.

Rise Park's heaviest train is the Grimsby Fish which runs behind a Dapol Britannia, the analogue B1 or a Hall because the only Farish steam loco that will pull it is a green 2MT.  

The latest Farish with motors in the loco run beautifully, but my pair of 2MTs shouldn't each be twice as strong as the best of my trio of WDs.....

On Hawthorn Dene's colliery I use Dapol Panniers and a Farish Jinty turn and turn about with nothing to choose between them.  Both perform BETTER than my 0-6-0 diesel on a Fleischmann chassis.....

My four type two diesels (2 Dapol and 2 Farish) also work turn and turn about with nothing to choose between them.  The only reason my Dapol 33 and Farish 37 don't is that the 33 has a specific working which 37s weren't normally used on.

Generally speaking, in a large fleet Dapol and Farish steamers each have their strengths and their weaknesses.  I see no reason why the Dapol small Spam Can shouldn't be at least as good as the Farish big Spam Can.

Les

Edited by Les1952
  • Like 1

From a stud of over 150 steam and 50 diesel locos, I have only had to send 2 back for faulty running caused by manufacturing faults, and they were both Graham Farish. one was a Peppercorn A1, the other an N class mogul. I count myself lucky, as the 2 or  3 others that had minor defects were easily rectified by myself, others gained from ebay purchases were often a case of bad handling or poor maintenance. as N gauge is that much smaller, clean wheels and track are a MUST for good running. I have been amazed at the state of the wheels and mechanisms of some of the second hand locos that I have "resurrected" from "spares/repair"

Regards,

Alex 

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hi,

From the Collectors Club newsletter by post yesterday:

Anticipated shipment early 2020

Battle of Britain 'Fighter Command' 21C164 in SR Malachite Green

Battle of Britain 'Spitfire' 34066 BR Green Late Crest

TBC BR Green Early Crest

West Country 'Okehampton' SR Malachite Green 21C113

West Country 'Watersmeet' 34030 BR Green Late Crest

West Country 'Exeter' 34001 BR Green Early Crest Dapol Collectors Club '2019 Club Special' (as previously advised)

I assume the Osborn's Models exclusive is still to be produced:

https://www.osbornsmodels.com/osbornsdapol-exclusive-bullied-light-pacific-west-country-class-bideford-34019-22668-p.asp

Regards, Gerry.

• RMweb Gold

Originally the plan was for Dapol to tool the model for both early and later cab widths and two different tender capacities. I wonder if that plan remains the same?

Tom.  

• RMweb Premium

Hi Tom,

Originally the plan was for Dapol to tool the model for both early and later cab widths and two different tender capacities. I wonder if that plan remains the same?

Tom.  

The one source in any depth from the open day I've seen:

Someone asked if all versions of the tender were to be modelled and the answer was "yes".

Regards, Gerry.

• 1 month later...

And the price looks to be £170. That is a big markup on both the Dapol valenced A4 and the Farish Merchant Navy (against which it will inevitably be compared). The new drive they are developing will need to be something quite special to justify the hike.  :unsure:

• RMweb Gold

And the price looks to be £170. That is a big markup on both the Dapol valenced A4 and the Farish Merchant Navy (against which it will inevitably be compared). The new drive they are developing will need to be something quite special to justify the hike.  :unsure:

Not only the drive! 

Tom. 

Not only the drive! 

Tom. 

Live steam and chain driven for that price  :jester:

My Graham Farish Channel Packet with a Golden Arrow emblem cost £10 in 1977. I expect that the Dapol model should be more realistic and run better but I am not sure if it is worth £170. Perhaps I will wait for Hattons' 2020 Sale of the Century.

The model of Channel Packet was a badge engineered Battle of Britain.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi,

Exeter ordered yesterday, nice friendly Collectors Club acknowledgement from Andrea.

Whenever I see or hear the name Exeter I have this minds eye picture of a man with a high forehead and bright white hair, interocitor at the ready...

Regards, Gerry.

• Like 1

Hi,

Exeter ordered yesterday, nice friendly Collectors Club acknowledgement from Andrea.

Whenever I see or hear the name Exeter I have this minds eye picture of a man with a high forehead and bright white hair, interocitor at the ready...

Regards, Gerry.

Will you please let me know which Collectors Club it is?