Dapol West Country & Rebuilt West Country

TomE

On 09/05/2020 at 22:51, TomE said:

We haven't seen CADs, EPs or Livery Samples. Unless Dapol are going to pull a rabbit out of the hat, even late 2021 would be pushing it! 

Tom.  

Well here we are in late Summer 2021 and little seems to have changed.  Is anyone in a position to let us know what the state of play with these models is?

Thanks and best regards,

Martin

Edited by MartinTrucks

On 09/05/2020 at 22:51, TomE said:

We haven't seen CADs, EPs or Livery Samples. Unless Dapol are going to pull a rabbit out of the hat, even late 2021 would be pushing it! 

Tom.  

With regard to CADs, I have just found these in a post dated January 2013 in this thread:

post-1144-0-38777000-1358775582.jpg

post-1144-0-80739800-1358775637.jpg

• RMweb Gold

I don't believe there has been any form of update on these since the project was put into 'abeyance'. 

Interesting to note that it's now over 10 years since these were announced. A new record for longest period from announcement to.....well.....still nothing?

Tom. 

Edited by TomE
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, TomE said:

I don't believe there has been any form of update on these since the project was put into 'abeyance'. 

Interesting to note that it's now over 10 years since these were announced. A new record for longest period from announcement to.....well.....still nothing?

Tom. 

It's certainly one of the longest, however Dapol were honest enough to say that they put the model in abeyance (nearly 5 and half years ago).  Until Dapol say that they have taken the model out of abeyance we would be silly to have any expectations about this model arriving or expect to see any updates.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, Kris said:

Until Dapol say that they have taken the model out of abeyance we would be silly to have any expectations about this model arriving or expect to see any updates.

Oh I agree, although on a personal level the fact Dapol are sitting on a type I need multiple examples of is more frustrating than Farish not announcing anything at all! 

1 hour ago, Mr chapman said:

I believe the cad work is void. After that came out they changed the chassis specifications and said they would rework it. 

They said that about the Class 50 but that still appeared with many of the errors seen in the original CAD, so expectations are low on that front! 

Tom. 

• Agree 1

Previously Dapol have cited weak pre-orders and a weak pound as factors in the delay. The former is surely a reflection of the long delay rather than lack of interest, and the latter issue has eased with the GBP near a six year high against the USD. 

Just been on the Dapol site, noted there are several BoB/WC available to pre-order.

If the model is in abeyance, why is it still listed to order, the only other items in N gauge pre-orders are the next lot of 50s and the 59.  Seems odd to include an item in abeyance for pre-order, perhaps......

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
53 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

Just been on the Dapol site, noted there are several BoB/WC available to pre-order.

If the model is in abeyance, why is it still listed to order, the only other items in N gauge pre-orders are the next lot of 50s and the 59.  Seems odd to include an item in abeyance for pre-order, perhaps......

It's been available for pre order for a long time on the website. I wonder if it is a way for them to gauge demand.

• RMweb Gold

Trouble is the longer it drags on, people are more likely to cancel their orders in the belief it will never appear at all. 

Changing the spec half way through probably won’t have helped either. I cancelled my pre orders when they announced it would be their first ‘next generation’ steam model post DJ era because I want to see the new CADs, EPs and painted samples before I decide whether to stump up the cash or not on what is now effectively a brand new and untested mechanism, and I suspect many others have done the same. 

Dapol may complain they don’t have sufficient pre-orders to move the project forward, but they’re not doing anything to change that situation either. 

Tom.

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, TomE said:

Trouble is the longer it drags on, people are more likely to cancel their orders in the belief it will never appear at all. 

I cancelled my order for 4 of these locos long ago, but that had nothing to do with Dapol, or a belief that they would never appear. I cancelled as I did not ever want to do business with the retailer I ordered from ever again. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

My understanding is this was brought of abeyance a year or so ago with little fanfare only for pretty much zero to actually happen afterwards.

Most recent update I can actually think of was Dapol basically complaining the preorders weren't great so they weren't giving it any sort of priority.

Yes, preorders were low on something that had already been "cancelled" once and has an untested design in comparison with all other steam tender loco's the company has made. Its also a relatively high price considering Dapol's track record for errors and QA issues.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Kaput said:

My understanding is this was brought of abeyance a year or so ago with little fanfare only for pretty much zero to actually happen afterwards.

Most recent update I can actually think of was Dapol basically complaining the preorders weren't great so they weren't giving it any sort of priority.

Yes, preorders were low on something that had already been "cancelled" once and has an untested design in comparison with all other steam tender loco's the company has made. Its also a relatively high price considering Dapol's track record for errors and QA issues.

I have no intention of pre-ordering one until I have some idea what I am ordering! I have pre-ordered a 'Fag Packet' livery HST from a retailer as these have some sentimental interest to me and Dapol HSTs have appeared previously. I have pre-ordered Dogfish wagons from another retailer for the same reason.

I want at least one loco in late steam era condition with a cut-down tender. Is the cut-down tender being offered? Or perhaps the whole project is, as one of my friends would call it, VAPORWARE!!!

Martin

• RMweb Gold
47 minutes ago, MartinTrucks said:

I have pre-ordered a 'Fag Packet' livery HST from a retailer as these have some sentimental interest to me and Dapol HSTs have appeared previously

Wouldn't get your expectations up on that one....

hst.jpg.c38f2f13323252bb4360e0e5f6216f9b.jpg

Not the easiest scheme to reproduce in N granted, but at least get the basic colours right. 

Tom. 

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 2

On 15/08/2021 at 15:15, TomE said:

Wouldn't get your expectations up on that one....

hst.jpg.c38f2f13323252bb4360e0e5f6216f9b.jpg

Not the easiest scheme to reproduce in N granted, but at least get the basic colours right. 

Tom. 

Wow... That's a swing and a miss... They have done some stupidly complicated liveries on 66's without issue. That can't be a final version surely. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Fag Packet is a horrendous livery to reproduce in any scale and Dapol have given it a good attempt, though the green is very suspect.

I'm certainly not going to cast nasturtiums as my own vinyls have compromises to accommodate limitations of printing.

Wow. Just ..  wow ...

Perhaps there should be a railway modelling equivalent to the Carbuncle Cup? This has got to be a candidate for worst mainstream model of the year!

The early Bach-Farish First Great Western fag packet Mk2s definitely had some compromises around the "fading" stripes, but they were miles better than this.

How do Dapol seem to get colours so consistently washed out looking, and far too matt? It's really disappointing, for a livery I'm really fond of, and would have definitely bought as "rule one" ...

• Agree 1

Despite many notifications to them (both via Email and face-to-face) they still don't acknowledge that their version of BR(S) Green as applied to their BR-period Maunsells is actually more like SR Malachite... :unknw_mini:

Edited by talisman56

2 hours ago, Crepello said:

Sorry but I fail to see the connection between the WC/BBs and the fag packet Mark 3s. Could you not start a new topic for the latter?

Livery application.

The Fag packet HST looks better from a distance, perhaps we're looking too closely at it in these shots.

On 15/08/2021 at 00:41, Kaput said:

Can I please clarify what you mean "Kaput" ?  Do you mean the model has been brought out of abeyance ?

If so then Dapol should have, and still need to make that very clear to the market. The Bulleid pacifics are very popular locos with enthusiasts and would sell well in my opinion. But.............. this is yet another model blighted by the activity or more inactivity of a certain ex Dapol employee. The railway modeller / collector is prepared to spend when they have trust in the manufacturer and the product.  Until that point not so much money is likely to change hands. So Dapol need to totally re-energise the customers with these models.  Maybe they are working on the unrebuild line of products first, with a view to the rebuilds following on ?    

Edited by Covkid
Typo