Dapol West Country & Rebuilt West Country

TomE

Great looking cad/cam pics, can't wait for both versions of this model to arrive.

One quick obsevation on the rebuilt version: It could be the angle of the image but in the first picture the speedo doesn't look inline with the axle (as is shown on Eddystone in TomE's picture). That would make it rotate a bit like the eccentric in the Walshaerts valve gear, when it should actually be static.

• Like 1

Just whe I was getting to the point of being happy with my loco fleet, and getting to grip with P4, the Bachmann class 55 and now this superb rendering of the wonderful Bulleids are presented to us. Looks as though those wonderings about a having an excursion into 2mm will need to be realised. Superb work Dave

• RMweb Gold

Something else i've spotted on the original westcountry, it has wheel balance weights when they only gained them when rebuilt and also the rear tender ladders for the high sided version, it shows as having square looped ladders when they should be round for both 4'500 and 5'500 versions which some early cut down tenders carried also.

• Like 1

Something else i've spotted on the original westcountry, it has wheel balance weights when they only gained them when rebuilt and also the rear tender ladders for the high sided version, it shows as having square looped ladders when they should be round for both 4'500 and 5'500 versions which some early cut down tenders carried also.

Good point on the wheel balance weights - an absence of the external walschearts valve gear didn't need them. But, for the tender ladder, some original tenders did have square topped ladders (Irwell Press Book of the West Country and Battle of Britain Pacifics...chapter 2 "Tenders... various)... page 38. 34064 with square topped ladders. BUT, from all the pictures it seems that the full length handrail (to the top) was curved when it was the inner handrails and square topped when it was outer handrail. The CAD image is of inner handrails, so yes they should be curved at the top... if it was the outer ones, then they would be square topped. Actually, the book also shows some with curved tops at the outer edges too... on at least one and some only had one ladder post rebuild.

Jon

If I'm wrong Dave will no doubt correct me here, but I suspect that the economic options may well come down to- all with balance weights (orig AND rebuilt) or all without...... The N-gauge market just doesn't generate enough sales to afford both, I fear.

I HOPE I'm wrong but the gut says not.......

All the very best

Les

If I'm wrong Dave will no doubt correct me here, but I suspect that the economic options may well come down to- all with balance weights (orig AND rebuilt) or all without...... The N-gauge market just doesn't generate enough sales to afford both, I fear.

I HOPE I'm wrong but the gut says not.......

All the very best

Les

Perhaps you've got a point, but with or without... they are still different as the "with" will have the Walschearts valvegear... (I checked the spelling this time) the without won't have the external valve gear. So the chassis make-up will still be different, but if the wheels can't be made as common with the weights added later then yes it might be best to have none fitted... and allow owners to fit their own on the rebuilds?

Still looks very promising though doesn't it!

Jon (a 4mm modeller seriously considering a move into 2mm)

Edited by Jon020
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Unfortunately, Anglian there is not release dates as yet. One can only assume the we would see some if not all by the 31st December 2013 when the assumed new ?2014? catalogue is due out. Even if Dapol Dave has a date in mind, letting us know it and the factories fail to deliver on time is letting him down and unnecessarily letting us down. Sadly it is a waiting game, however painful. :-)

Dapol Dave, is there are release date for these engines?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

They both look bl**dy superb Dave. Thanks for taking onboard everyone's feedback here and many thanks for the update!

Now, how do I convince you to do Bodmin, Wadbridge & Swanage with a wide cab in the first batch :P

Tom.

Those look excellent Dave. I really can't wait to see what they look like in the flesh! Once again, thank you for listening to the feedback of modellers and improving your products to match.

However, the first batch of names/numbers really doesn't interest me at all... What would interest me are the following:

• 34023 Blackmoor Vale (in Malachite Green as 21C123)
  • 34028 Eddystone (rebuilt)
  • 34053 Sir Keith Park (rebuilt)
  • 34067 Tangmere
  • 34070 Manston
  • 34072 257 Squadron

Produce any of them, and I will definitely be parting with some cash!

• RMweb Gold

These are looking very good Dave, I'm not worried what name /numbers you do as I can simply change them to the ones I want.

The only obvious issue I can see is the cowling on the streamlined version needs to be flattened in front of the chimney above the smokebox door.

Any chance of arranging for some spair wheels to come with the batch so that those of us who work on the dark side can turn the wheels down to 2FS standards and replace the one with traction tyres.

Jerry 

• RMweb Gold

Hi Dave.

Just had chance to have a proper look on a full size screen, and have one small observation (Sorry!) It looks like the slope down of the firebox has gone a little too far in the opposite direction. The pipework on top should be just a fraction below the cab roof, as seen in this photo:

7304298708_202a07130f.jpg

12-094 Rebuilt Bulleid Light Pacific No. 34028 'Eddystone' and GWR 56XX 0-6-2T No. 6695 stabled alongside the W&D bus park by Hectate1, on Flickr

This aside, as I said before they look great!

Tom.

Edited by TomE
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

As discussed previously I notice that the wheel balance weights are still incorrectly shown on the original version. Balance weights are only applicable to the rebuilt version.

• Like 1

Another comparative firebox shot.

post-7009-0-43242900-1358866473.jpg

I reckon the 'Modified's' firebox could do with being a tad wider and higher . Note that reversing shaft, on the Driver's side (nearside) is recessed in a semi-circular groove in the firebox cladding.

post-7009-0-07222900-1358866847.jpg

Also, the top of the 'Original's' smokebox cowl is still too bulbous.  I.e. Should be flat, with just the corners' rounded.

Cheers.

Edited by Ceptic

To illustrate what I mean about the reversing shaft being partly recessed into the firebox cladding, here's a pic of a MN firebox with the same feature.

post-7009-0-48720300-1358962926_thumb.jpg

Regards.

Edited by Ceptic
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Tangmere's smoke deflectors look just right end on. Noting there were the three various lengths. Wadebridge's look so flat and square angled to say the least.

I have been having a look through the albums and I agree that the smoke deflectors on Tangmere look about right. There was variation in the real thing but the majority seem to have had gently curved smoke deflectors as seen here.

attachicon.gifP7191118 (2).jpg

34067 'TANGMERE' with 9' wide cab. As built, this loco had an 8'- 6" wide cab, as did all WCs & BoBs up to, and including No. 21C170 / 34070.

I think that the smoke deflectors on the current CAD (and Wadebridge) are too flat. I think they should be about half way between that and the very curved ones shown on the previous CAD.

Edited by Karhedron

I have been having a look through the albums and I agree that the smoke deflectors on Tangmere look about right. There was variation in the real thing but the majority seem to have had gently curved smoke deflectors as seen here.

I think that the smoke deflectors on the current CAD (and Wadebridge) are too flat. I think they should be about half way between that and the very curved ones shown on the previous CAD.

A number did have those flat deflectors Biggin Hill for example http://www.flickr.com/photos/rgadsdon/6925017682/ I also have a video of it departing Waterloo and the rear view shows it to be very flat.

Edited by Lewishambill
  • Like 1