Dapol West Country & Rebuilt West Country

TomE

• RMweb Gold

last I heard, Dapol were having difficultly sourcing a suitable motor for the new loco drive chassis and the model has also undergone an almost total re-design since the original CADs were shown here.

Hopefully they will have further updates in the new year. I need several of these and the funds are waiting!!

Tom.  

CAD shown at the Open day in October showed a drive with no worm.  It also showed separate bearings for the wheelsets.

I suspect that sourcing new components for tooling and a 1st EP has gone a very long way beyond just looking for a satisfactory motor.  They are trying to engineer as many issues as possible out of the next generation of locos.

Worth waiting for.

Les

I had a look at the Dapol site and still no futher update to add.

It's worth also keeping an eye on the Dapol Digest Forum as well as their website. Plus you can ask Dapol questions directly there.

G.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

Hi all,

I have heard that these Bulleid's are dropped from the list. Shame if this is true as this was going to be a fantastic project. Shame Dapol has gone down this line.

Chris

Sometimes it's better not to listen to the rumours within this industry and hobby, Dapol have never ever officially stated that it was dropped. Like Talisman56 said, during the Dapol Open Day they informed club members about various projects and their updates.

Some people love to draw their own conclusions and spread the word as it were official. Some great scholars of this parish were predicting the cancellation of the Class 50 etc, and here it is, back on the list and being updated to a higher spec.

• 1 month later...

Just to dip my oar in I asked at the Dapol stand about these at TINGS this year and was informed in no uncertain terms that it was no longer going to happen, I said ok thanks when were we going to hear about it? I got a shrug in response. I had 3 on pre-order at ehattons - not anymore!

I too would love Farish to produce them with their recent fantastic releases like the Duchess & Castle Class

I honestly couldn't believe:

A.What I was hearing

B. The way in which I was being told this as a would be purchaser

I have considered ringing Dapol to see if they can verify what the gentleman said at TING's  

• Like 1

• 10 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

I have mixed feelings about this news as I need a few of these, but my experience with previous Dapol steam engines has been largely negative. I hope they can maintain the standard set with the Class 68, which is an excellent model, but personally I’ll be holding off on any pre orders until I see something in plastic & running. Part of me still wishes Bachmann had jumped in and nicked it!

Tom.

I have mixed feelings about this news as I need a few of these, but my experience with previous Dapol steam engines has been largely negative. I hope they can maintain the standard set with the Class 68, which is an excellent model, but personally I’ll be holding off on any pre orders until I see something in plastic & running. Part of me still wishes Bachmann had jumped in and nicked it!

Tom.

It won't be "something in plastic" - it will have a diecast metal body. They have been quietly working on the engineering of these for some time with a view to getting them as good as the best of the Continentals and way ahead of current UK standards, which may well be reflected in the price.

Les

• RMweb Gold

I’m happy to pay what a model is worth if the quality is there, both in terms of accuracy and finish but perhaps most importantly running quality. Bachmann have set a high bar with their most recent models in all 3 of those areas, and I hope Dapol can match or exceed that with this model. The Class 68 was a step change in the standard of their diesel models, let’s hope the BoB/West Country is the same for their steam range.

Tom.

• Like 1

Tom.

Good luck with seeing anything in plastic. The model is going to be mostly die-cast construction and they plan to have stainless-steel con rods this time. So overall a better improvement in materials

We've all seen what a beautiful model the Class 68 is so I personally don't understand your doubt over this? It is part of their "Next Generation" lineup so why will they take a step backwards if they've already used this better design philosophy on the Class 68 and Class 50 (and also the Class 59).

Edited by MGR Hooper!

I wonder if Hattons will still honour my original pre-order price? :jester:

I gave up waiting and splashed out on a Farish MN although this really is too big for a 3-coach rake. It is a lovely loco though and Dapol's light pacific will have to be pretty good to make me consider replacing it.

Here's hoping I will be impressed.

• RMweb Gold

Good luck with seeing anything in plastic. The model is going to be mostly die-cast construction and they plan to have stainless-steel con rods this time. So overall a better improvement in materials

We've all seen what a beautiful model the Class 68 is so I personally don't understand your doubt over this? It is part of their "Next Generation" lineup so why will they take a step backwards if they've already used this better design philosophy on the Class 68 and Class 50 (and also the Class 59).

Because Dapol haven’t yet proven they can consistently produce high quality, reliable models in N Gauge. Not for me anyway. The 68 was a massive step forward for them in terms of performance & quality over their previous releases, and I have 2, but one swallow does not a summer make.

If Dapol can produce a mechanism that is the equal, or exceeds the standard of recent Farish products and the overall quality of the model is there then I’ll have no hesitation in buying the 4 I need (assuming they also get around to doing the rebuilt versions eventually, I understand it’s just the streamlined versions planned at the moment) but at the suggested price of £199, I’m not prepared to rely on blind fanboy faith for this one I’m afraid.

Tom.

Edited by TomE