Traction 203

steverabone

• RMweb Premium

As usual I'm posting the contents of TRACTION issue 203 a few days before subscribers should receive their copy. The magazine is available in the shops from 6th April.

The Dorsetway Line – The Friendly Line!

Peter W Cooper remembers operations on the Bournemouth to Weymouth line in the 1980s.

Railtours from a locomotive owner’s perspective – Part Two

Martin Walker, the owner of 55022 Royal Scots Grey describes what happens when the locomotive is out on the main line.

The Crossleys - a brave innovation or unmitigated disaster?

Colin Boocock describes how different railways overcame the problems these locomotives presented.

East Anglian diesel multiple units

Gavin Morrison delves into his archives to show the changing face of East Anglian railways and its DMUs

The Class 58 story and Railfreight - Part 1: the British Rail days

Paul Fuller begins a new series about this distinctive class of freight locomotives.

This is an emergency call

Bob Dunn, a West Coast Main Line locomotive driver, describes what happens when the overhead wires come down on his train.

TRACTION MODELLING

4PID

Paul Lunn looks in detail at the Four Position Train Identification System used by British Rail and explains how it can be modelled.

Hellifield enters the diesel era

Stephen Rabone turns his steam era layout of Hellifield over to early diesel traction.

Footbridge Focus

Paul Lunn delves into the incredible variety of footbridges to be found on Britain’s stations and suggests ways of replicating them in miniature.

Plus all the usual news, letters and reviews

• RMweb Gold

Another great issue, which is good to see. Plenty of interesting reading here - I especially liked the Crossley article and reckon it would be worth having a regular Traction item on how British motive power was adopted/exported overseas after the war - a sort of "Home and Abroad" feature!? I try to pick up 1950s/1960s publicity produced by British loco manufacturers when I see their brochures and the like for sale on second-hand stalls - many of which have some lovely period promotional images. It's amazing where 'our' locos ended up, and also learning about these exports helps open out from our (often somewhat blinkered) view of classic British D&E traction and puts it into some sort of global/comparative perspective.

cheers,

Keith

Archived