Kris's entry

Kris

• RMweb Premium

Well done Kris - this should turn out rather nice.

Are you going to include that slightly patriotic boozer in the background... :no:

I suspect not, well at least not at the moment. Getting to the pub would require another 3 - 4 ft in length, not to mention the time required!

*wonders how many beer cans it'll support* !!! ;)

Empty or full? :)

• RMweb Premium

Hi Kris

Yea ! it is rather an ambitious project,should look absolutely stunning if you can pull it off and get it competed (your words)

Suggestion for the rivets! use rather thick paint of the right shade applied with the point of cocktail stick or similar,could be

a rather tedious job !

Paint could be done. I will print the placings for the "rivets" on card that will form the skin then once the "rivets" are in place paint over the top.

• RMweb Premium

No photos at the moment Pete and no further progress is likely to happen until Monday now as I have other things that I need to be doing.

Hi Kris

I think this riveting job is going to need a bit of experimentation using some of the suggested methods and now David has come up

with another idea that might be worth looking into. I really do like your idea of preprinting the rivet placings even if it was only in the form

of faint lines, of course great care would have to be taken to make sure the cardboard skin is fitted in place true and square along the

length of the arches. Pity about the lack of modeling progress over the weekend but we will still be around next week, so look forward to

the next update and possibly a pic.

Cheers

John

Hi Kris -

Great project! Rivets - syringe ful of quality PVA & a thin hypodermic needle (speak to your surgery's practice nurse - they can be quite sympathetic to people with mental health issues! :O ). Mark out the positons as suggested by John above then process along gently squeezing said syringe!

Regs

Ian

• RMweb Premium

Well no more progress to note over the weekend but a good weekend all the same. I shall have to see if there is time after work this week.

• RMweb Premium

Some minor progress tonight, still no photos though. The first couple of inches of the first tube have been coated. Next step will be to start adding in the hangers so I can the add in more of the coating. Once that is done adding the paper with rivets on will need to commence. I am wondering about doing this with sticky labels.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Well, it's been just over a week since my last update on this.

I have been busy designing and redesigning. I have so far built up these designs to see if they work. Some have some haven't. These have led to some redesigns.

The many tube structure did work but since designing that I have rethought the way to do it so the first one of these has gone into the bin.

Getting the arc's correct both on the tube or the chains has been a pain and I still have not got the chain arc correct. The other issue I have is the width of the bridge bed is currently slightly too narrow so that also needs to be corrected.

Below is a picture of the test model. These have a pannier just in front of them to give an idea of size.

post-163-0-53779500-1334866235_thumb.jpg

Next steps will be to enlarge the width of the bridge bed to then redesign the chain arc. The chain arc is only fractionally out but this is enough to cause problems with some of the cross bracing.

• RMweb Premium

Further progress has been made, but there have also been other changes made.

I have created what is likely to be a final concept model as I am not happy with the crispness that I am getting from the card that I have been using. With that in mind I have ordered quite a bit of plasticard and will be rebuilding the model with this when it arrives.

However I am quite please with this version of the model. It gives me a good feel for the size and bulk of the bridge deck area.

post-163-0-18840700-1335432489_thumb.jpg

post-163-0-72674200-1335432504_thumb.jpg

When building this version I also realised that I had not made allowance for the girders under the deck, this was modified so that I will be able to add these in.

• 3 weeks later...

I wondered when this beast was going to make an appearance! Amazing progress, looks fantastic. I use tiny slivers cut from appropriate size styrene rod for rivets, simply stick on the point of a scalpel, dip them in liquid poly and attatch. Cheap and easy (ish) but boring. Each time I do a large tank scratch build I do about 350 of them. Makes good meditation and fair representation of rivets. If you need a bit more space and an air supply to paint the monster, PM me.

At first I thought are you mad, but now I can't wait to see the final item. The work up to date looks fantastic. Does this mean you and Tom will now have to extend Kingsbridge and Avonwick all the way to Brent and then on to the Estuary :no:

Archived