Brighton Modelworld 2010

KevinWalsh

Are there any rmweb members planning to attend this event? I will be there as part of the operating crew on Uckfield MRC's layout "Netherhall and Fletching"; also the Model Engineering section will be taking the portable rig and track from Bentley Miniature Railway for children to have rides on.

Kev

• 4 weeks later...

An interesting show, but not one I'd care to exhibit at again - three days, poor accessibility (unless things have improved) via one small service lift to the floor where the model railway layouts are, and very restricted parking (having to be called in by stewards in turn from a car park a mile away). None of that is the organisers' fault, and they manage it as well as they can, but it's a pain for exhibitors.

An interesting show, but not one I'd care to exhibit at again - three days, poor accessibility (unless things have improved) via one small service lift to the floor where the model railway layouts are, and very restricted parking (having to be called in by stewards in turn from a car park a mile away). None of that is the organisers' fault, and they manage it as well as they can, but it's a pain for exhibitors.

So right !!! I'll only go there again as a punter, total nightmare as exhibitor or trader.

So right !!! I'll only go there again as a punter, total nightmare as exhibitor or trader.

I have to say, the traffic around the site, and in general last year was awful, and I was walking from the Station, so i hate to think what it would be like for Traders or Exhibitors etc.

Sam

I will be going mainly to see 009 COUNTY GATE - LYNTON & BARNSTAPLE MODEL RAILWAY.

My daughter lives in Hove so we will stay with them over long weekend and I shall walk into Brighton on Friday to see exhibition.

I agree parking in Brigton is terrible.

There doesn't appear to be much info on the web site yet about pricing etc.

• RMweb Premium

Brighton is always a headache to park in at the weekends. The "Theatre" NCP car park in the North Laines is usually okay for spaces, but expensive. The station car park is further away from the venue but much cheaper. Go by train if you can!

• RMweb Premium

I am assuming this is the 19th to 21st of February, last weekend of the Half Term holiday as per previous years? Only the website fails to mention when it actually takes place!!!

Working all three days if that is so, will check engineering works tomorrow as the website does not go that far forward but a quick check of the National Rail Enquiries site suggests that it is replacement buses all the way from Littlehampton to Brighton (a good hour and a half plus) on the Sunday only.

Suggestion for those visiting the exhibition, when walking down from the station, instead of going in the front door of the Brighton Centre, often waiting in the freezing cold in an interminably long queue, nip into the back door where there is usually no queue and you can go straight in.

I went last year and whilst it had improved markedly on previous years (the late 1990's/early 2000's shows were I thought pretty awful) it still wasn't as good as in its earliest days back in the mid 1980's and the entrance fee is a lot for what it is I feel.

I am assuming this is the 19th to 21st of February, last weekend of the Half Term holiday as per previous years? Only the website fails to mention when it actually takes place!!!

Working all three days if that is so, will check engineering works tomorrow as the website does not go that far forward but a quick check of the National Rail Enquiries site suggests that it is replacement buses all the way from Littlehampton to Brighton (a good hour and a half plus) on the Sunday only.

Suggestion for those visiting the exhibition, when walking down from the station, instead of going in the front door of the Brighton Centre, often waiting in the freezing cold in an interminably long queue, nip into the back door where there is usually no queue and you can go straight in.

I went last year and whilst it had improved markedly on previous years (the late 1990's/early 2000's shows were I thought pretty awful) it still wasn't as good as in its earliest days back in the mid 1980's and the entrance fee is a lot for what it is I feel.

Hi John,

It's taking place 12th to 14th of Feb

Kev

• RMweb Premium

Hi John,

It's taking place 12th to 14th of Feb

Kev

Still working!! Engineering works means line closed Haywards Heath to Brighton on the Sunday, seems like London to Brighton being diverted via Lewes or Horsham.

• RMweb Gold

There doesn't appear to be much info on the web site yet about pricing etc.

From the Brighton Centre website admission is:

Adults - ??8.00

Child - ??5.00 (aged up to 14 years)

OAP - ??6.50 (May be asked for proof of age)

Family ticket - ??23.00 (Family tickets consist of 2 adults & 2 children)

Children under 3 years FOC

• 4 weeks later...

Still working!! Engineering works means line closed Haywards Heath to Brighton on the Sunday, seems like London to Brighton being diverted via Lewes or Horsham.

Ah, Same situation as last year then...

Aw well, ill still be heading down to the sunny south coast then - shall be helping out with my father from time to time on the Camelot stand...

Proberley be wearing The Killers Day & Age Tshirt...biggrin.gif

Update for members planning to go, the printed booklet for the show is now out of date. Due to the Boat Pool in the main hall springing a leak ohmy.gif , Stand 91 Netherhall and Fletching is now next to Arena 2 and there are a couple of other stands moved into that general area.

Kev

• RMweb Premium

Engineering works update:

The Haywards Heath to Brighton closure is only on the Sunday. If you are coming from the Isle of Wight be aware that the line is shut from Portsmouth Harbour to Fratton on Saturday and Sunday and to add to the fun there is the Southampton v Pompey (assuming they haven't been shut down by the Inland Revenue by then) FA Cup clash as well this weekend so Fratton likely to be somewhat lively.

Can't believe the boat pool won't be in action, that was one of the staple features and favourites of the show since it began, pity it wasn't the Robot Wars style stuff that got the push...

Engineering works update:

The Haywards Heath to Brighton closure is only on the Sunday. If you are coming from the Isle of Wight be aware that the line is shut from Portsmouth Harbour to Fratton on Saturday and Sunday and to add to the fun there is the Southampton v Pompey (assuming they haven't been shut down by the Inland Revenue by then) FA Cup clash as well this weekend so Fratton likely to be somewhat lively.

Can't believe the boat pool won't be in action, that was one of the staple features and favourites of the show since it began, pity it wasn't the Robot Wars style stuff that got the push...

Ahhh...

Fortunatly the F'ball dosent affect me for sunday thensmile.gif ... But the engineering works will...

Crikey - ive got to get down to Fareham to catch a FGW service...The only through services of the day for me!...

Otherwise its a bus all the way up to woking, then train to clapham, clapham to Haywards Heath then another bus! wink.gif

Tis going to be a long day then...

Shame about the pool by the way.

Hopefully will get time to look round properly tomorrow, suffered from a shortage of operators today due to unforseen circumstances. Anyone from this forum feel free to say hi, I'm the bloke in a black polo shirt with black/grey goatee on "Netherhall & Fletching" stand 91 (now next to arena in main hall where Titan Robot does it's thing every so often).

Kev

Archived