Southern Region photos 1980s.

"Simotra" tanks? I saw a few like that in Rochester yard, e.g. the first photo in this post: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/70626-goods-yards-and-freight-handling/?p=1014664

I had assumed china clay slurry, but could equally have been chalk slurry.

Probably. They would seem the most likely, but I could not say from memory. I do remember them being rather cleaner than that. I never shunted them, but I did have to produce the six-part international wagon consignment notes for them, part of which acted as the wagon label (and one had to be despatched to Dover Snargate for the train ferry loading, before the wagons got there, which was a problem sometimes - we could not do this on TOPS), and, if the Senior Railman was not available, I had to walk down the rake and place the right set of papers in the spring clips for each wagon. So I can tell you a lot more about what they were like from sole bar downwards..... :O

What that paper work told me was that they did not come from just one quarry in France - I think there were three different origins/destinations.

One more from me this evening: late afternoon, early Jan '83.  A couple of Cromptons in Salisbury.  Note also the gronk (in those days Salisbury still warranted a shunter) and independent snow plough, plus exhibition stock behind the wall in the coalyard.  Everyday fare back then.  

post-10582-0-31935400-1547922819_thumb.jpg

Best wishes, 

Paul

Traincrew relief at Salisbury.

attachicon.gifSalisbury 47155 - Copy.jpg

47155 calls at Salisbury for relief, I don't know the working, LPG tanks ex Fawley perhaps?, 16/6/86.

cheers

Your photo was taken in early afternoon judging by the shadows and as 16/06/86 was a Monday, perusal of the WTT suggests that the train is 6V08 1130 (MO) COY Fawley Esso to Margam N.Y., which was booked for a crew change at Salisbury from 1242 to 1243.

I am rather taken with the bogie tanks. Very smart.  Glad nobody makes a model of anything suitable...yet... could be expensive! 

Sorry, but you are going to have to hit the plastic hard, if you want some. Now in stock at Olivias Trains.

https://www.oliviastrains.com/trains/mt/Heljan/heljan_4-wheel-b-tank-wagons/Heljan-boc-tanks/

Sorry, but you are going to have to hit the plastic hard, if you want some. Now in stock at Olivias Trains.

https://www.oliviastrains.com/trains/mt/Heljan/heljan_4-wheel-b-tank-wagons/Heljan-boc-tank

Mike, are those the same vehicles? (He said, rather hoping that they aren't...)  MIght be able to stretch to one/two, but a trainload would require some seriously fast talking with the domestic command authority... :jester:

And a rather bigger layout...

Paul

Strangely I found this photograph, whilst having a tidy up this week, of a Class 73 taken by me whilst on a train spotting trip to London back in the 70's.

Not the best photographically I know ( I think I borrowed my mothers Box Brownie ) but thought I would share it.

post-20303-0-20522600-1547932107_thumb.jpeg

All notes are lost as to its location but imagine it was around Clapham?  as my mates and I did all the major stations that day.

FWIW - Cost of a day return from Banbury to Paddington - 19/6p.

Grahame 

• RMweb Gold

Fantastic picture - thanks for posting.  I gathered half a dozen or so of the old Hornby model a couple of years back with no immediate purpose in mind (yes, I know it needs quite a lot of work - hence why they are still sat in the magic cupboard).  Now I know what to do with them! It never ceases to amaze me how much freight traffic I missed, despite spending hours and hours and hours hanging around on the end of the platform at Salisbury, just watching the trains go by.

Cheers, 

Paul

The thing is Paul most of the freight traffic had a 47 leading. The 33s and 50s just proved to be too distracting :)

Rob

Your photo was taken in early afternoon judging by the shadows and as 16/06/86 was a Monday, perusal of the WTT suggests that the train is 6V08 1130 (MO) COY Fawley Esso to Margam N.Y., which was booked for a crew change at Salisbury from 1242 to 1243.

Good work. It appears in another photo of the west end of the station, as 50049 stands in the down platform with the 12.37 departure for Exeter.

6V08 it is then, many thanks

cheers

Mike, are those the same vehicles? (He said, rather hoping that they aren't...)  MIght be able to stretch to one/two, but a trainload would require some seriously fast talking with the domestic command authority... :jester:

And a rather bigger layout...

Paul

It is hard to tell from the photo, as there are no markings legible, apart from the orange stripe, but my guess would be yes. Olivias sells a version with just the orange stripe and a few smaller hazchem markings, for the buyer to add numbers, logos etc of their choice.

I cannot afford more than a few, but fortunately, they never arrived at Sheerness (part of my planned layout) more than four at a time, and often in one's or two's. There is a whole thread about them elsewhere on here, where price has been an overriding topic. But those that have bought them, including Paul Wade of this parish, rate them quite highly for fidelity. The one I have already bought, to check they are worth it, is fine. So I will be getting another three. Yer pays yer money........ the only other possibility might be to convert some existing RTR, second-hand, older TEA's, but some major surgery would be needed.

Have a look at the Olivias BOC tanks thread, and see what you think.

It is hard to tell from the photo, as there are no markings legible, apart from the orange stripe, but my guess would be yes. Olivias sells a version with just the orange stripe and a few smaller hazchem markings, for the buyer to add numbers, logos etc of their choice.

I cannot afford more than a few, but fortunately, they never arrived at Sheerness (part of my planned layout) more than four at a time, and often in one's or two's. There is a whole thread about them elsewhere on here, where price has been an overriding topic. But those that have bought them, including Paul Wade of this parish, rate them quite highly for fidelity. The one I have already bought, to check they are worth it, is fine. So I will be getting another three. Yer pays yer money........ the only other possibility might be to convert some existing RTR, second-hand, older TEA's, but some major surgery would be needed.

Have a look at the Olivias BOC tanks thread, and see what you think.

Thanks Mike.  They do indeed look nice: can probably justify one of the unbranded ones using the evergreen 'Speedlink' or 'Enterprise' occasional trip working.   :sungum:

Cheers,

Paul

47155 calls at Salisbury for relief, the train is 6V08 11.30 (MO) Fawley Esso to Margam, 16/6/86.

edit - thanks SED Freightman for the WTT info.

cheers

How many of the tanks would be on the train?

What’s the fewest number?

Cheers

How many of the tanks would be on the train?

What’s the fewest number?

Cheers

There appears to be 10 bogie tanks in Rivercider's photo which would probably have been about the normal load.  As a Company Block train the load is unlikely to have varied a great deal as Esso would most likely have been paying for the train regardless of length.

47155 calls at Salisbury for relief, the train is 6V08 11.30 (MO) Fawley Esso to Margam, 16/6/86.

cheers

Hi from a long time lurker,

I spent much of my formative years at Salisbury from 1987 watching the comings and goings and the thought that popped into my head when I saw this fine photo and read the captions regarding the identity of the train is that I'm pretty sure there was (is?) no direct access to the reception line from the east (following the resignalling) and that any trains recessing there were generally from the west or would reverse at the west end (such as the Dinton / Quidhampton traffic). If this is the case reversing the whole train back into Salisbury just to change crew would seem overkill. My (admittedly fuzzy) memory is that trains from Fawley heading to points west would recess in 3 or 4 before continuing their journey. Whilst I have no doubt about the identity of the train - I wonder if something else had occurred with the train - indeed the lack of headlight would suggest to me the loco has run around - although this is not a certainty by any means.

Tim

cheers

Of course 155 being famous for a notable off-piste working .....................................

http://www.class47.co.uk/c47_zoom_v2.php?img=0822050000210

Thanks Mike.  They do indeed look nice: can probably justify one of the unbranded ones using the evergreen 'Speedlink' or 'Enterprise' occasional trip working.   :sungum:

Cheers,

Paul

As Griff and SED Freightman have pointed out, these are LPG tanks, and they are significantly different in several respects to the BOC Nitrogen/Oxygen wagons. So, if it is these you want to represent accurately then some major work needed, and a cheaper, second-hand TEA would be the best bet. On the other hand, as no-one makes a UK bogie LPG (AFAIK), only single axle  LPG tanks, you may feel that the existence of the plain BOC-style cryogenic tank, with its white body and orange stripe, is adequate representation enough. Tough call!

As Griff and SED Freightman have pointed out, these are LPG tanks, and they are significantly different in several respects to the BOC Nitrogen/Oxygen wagons. So, if it is these you want to represent accurately then some major work needed, and a cheaper, second-hand TEA would be the best bet. On the other hand, as no-one makes a UK bogie LPG (AFAIK), only single axle  LPG tanks, you may feel that the existence of the plain BOC-style cryogenic tank, with its white body and orange stripe, is adequate representation enough. Tough call!

Indeed.  Actually, I can't think of a faster way to get somebody to produce a suitable RTR model than to start converting one myself!  Seems to be a recurring theme on here!   :mosking:  Joking aside, I already have a large stash of half-completed projects littering various flat surfaces around the house, so I won't plan to add to it any time soon.  However, one or two BOC tanks would make an interesting short train ( - if I sneak them in, one at a time...)

Best wishes, 

Paul   

Archived