Southern Region photos 1980s.

Has anyone found any pics of the class 508 emu's in their original 4 car form before they were transferred to merseyrail please

A quick google of 508 clapham junction should provide one or two.

Or this post on this very thread: https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/544-southern-region-photos-1980s/?p=641011

Hi from a long time lurker,

I spent much of my formative years at Salisbury from 1987 watching the comings and goings and the thought that popped into my head when I saw this fine photo and read the captions regarding the identity of the train is that I'm pretty sure there was (is?) no direct access to the reception line from the east (following the resignalling) and that any trains recessing there were generally from the west or would reverse at the west end (such as the Dinton / Quidhampton traffic). If this is the case reversing the whole train back into Salisbury just to change crew would seem overkill. My (admittedly fuzzy) memory is that trains from Fawley heading to points west would recess in 3 or 4 before continuing their journey. Whilst I have no doubt about the identity of the train - I wonder if something else had occurred with the train - indeed the lack of headlight would suggest to me the loco has run around - although this is not a certainty by any means.

Tim

Yo Timmy, welcome to the forum.

I only visited rarely Salisbury, but found the place interesting, with plenty of loco-hauled action.

Did you take any photos?

cheers

Some of my EMU & DEMU slide scans from the period.

Lovely pics thanks - in the Ashford image, on the first floor of the downside platform block, last few windows at the far end, was the office I shared with my oppo, as Traffic Managers in the mid 80's. All long gone of course, like me.

Some of my EMU & DEMU slide scans from the period.

Love the '207' at Salisbury.  Prior to the NSE period, only saw them there very occasionally - usually in conjunction with a visit to EH works, for shopping, presumably? I always thought they looked rather stylish with that, rather more refined, cab end.

Best wishes, 

Paul

13 hours ago, ba14eagle said:

I used to really like those NSE platform boards, with the flip over boards & clocks

Yes, the clocks were a good addition. The original platform flap "next train" indicators (usually without inbuilt clocks), in the late 1970's, were universally known as "Solari" boards, at least on the SR by announcers who operated (or overrode where automatic) the flaps from their control booths, originally using punched cards (like TOPS), as Solari, an Italian company based in Udine, north of Venice, were the first company to supply them. But other suppliers came along later, and we were supposed to call them CIS (Customer Information System) indicators, or now, PIS of course. The great problem with the flap type was that they would begin to "stick", as they got older, plus with every service change, new flaps would have to be ordered if calling patterns had altered and none of the existing were suitable, and maintenance could be a nightmare. That is why BR gradually moved to LCD, which could be locally re-programmed at timetable changes, but had problems with individual crystal burn-out, then LED, which was more reliable and more flexible, but with fixed format, until the TV-type screens of today with totally flexible format.

For whatever reason, many European railways kept going with the flap type for many years after UK railways. They do have great advantages with visibility in bright sunlight, over other types.

• RMweb Gold
22 hours ago, Mike Storey said:

Yes, the clocks were a good addition. The original platform flap "next train" indicators (usually without inbuilt clocks), in the late 1970's, were universally known as "Solari" boards, at least on the SR by announcers who operated (or overrode where automatic) the flaps from their control booths, originally using punched cards (like TOPS), as Solari, an Italian company based in Udine, north of Venice, were the first company to supply them. But other suppliers came along later, and we were supposed to call them CIS (Customer Information System) indicators, or now, PIS of course. The great problem with the flap type was that they would begin to "stick", as they got older, plus with every service change, new flaps would have to be ordered if calling patterns had altered and none of the existing were suitable, and maintenance could be a nightmare. That is why BR gradually moved to LCD, which could be locally re-programmed at timetable changes, but had problems with individual crystal burn-out, then LED, which was more reliable and more flexible, but with fixed format, until the TV-type screens of today with totally flexible format.

For whatever reason, many European railways kept going with the flap type for many years after UK railways. They do have great advantages with visibility in bright sunlight, over other types.

It's items like the Solari boards that should be in a small part of the NRM. Another little piece of history gone, yet how many people looked at these when going to work or back home?

On 1/20/2019 at 5:51 PM, SED Freightman said:

There appears to be 10 bogie tanks in Rivercider's photo which would probably have been about the normal load.  As a Company Block train the load is unlikely to have varied a great deal as Esso would most likely have been paying for the train regardless of length.

Doubt I’d fit 10 on the layout if they were even available, but useful to know

On 1/28/2019 at 9:01 PM, Mike Storey said:

Lovely pics thanks - in the Ashford image, on the first floor of the downside platform block, last few windows at the far end, was the office I shared with my oppo, as Traffic Managers in the mid 80's. All long gone of course, like me.

I commenced my railway career by reporting to that building at 0830 on 31/07/1978 !

Archived