Southern Region photos 1980s.

One from the Old RM...73112 ..you can guess where this is if you like..! not you PCM..you sent the train down..!

Go on, can I tell,biggrin.gif nobody has bothered to have a guess yet.

Cheers Peter,

A few odds and sods around the B'm'th & Poole area.

post-7009-12604502022408_thumb.jpg

Bi-directional working at Poole.

post-7009-12604549793267_thumb.jpg

The Bourne Valley viaducts. Both suffered from FW.190 cannon fire damage during a WW2 Biedecker raid on the junctions and the nearby gasworks, in 1943

post-7009-12604506736941_thumb.jpg

Branksome depot, again. This time with the Tool & Staff Vans off the B'm'th Breakdown Crane.

post-7009-12604509478129_thumb.jpg

post-7009-1260450998277_thumb.jpg

post-7009-1260454638442_thumb.jpg

post-7009-12604512685808_thumb.jpg

post-7009-12604513961573_thumb.jpg

Splitting the 4-TC from the 4-REP.

post-7009-12604517107951_thumb.jpg

4-VEP on the W'loo stopper in the bay.

post-7009-12604519748722_thumb.jpg

At least someone's having a go at preserving the 'Past'.

Above the embankment is one of the ARP Shelters provided for the station's staff and passengers during WW2. Behind this, and to the right of the taller building, was, once, the 'British Railways Staff Association Club'.

Across the Holdenhurst Road, facing the 'phone boxes, the facade of the Bournemouth Central Goods Depot's offices, can also be seen.

post-7009-12604536767659_thumb.jpg

The one time entrance / exit to the B'm'th Cen. Goods Yard.

Regards and the Season's best wishes to All. Frank.

Season's greetings to you Frank,

Great set of pics,cool.gif the ones at Bournemouth really bring back some memories, wish I had taken more pics at the time. I really like the one of the 93 in the bay taken from the road. I used to catch the stopper to Bournemouth and go the the book shop and Bournemouth Model Train Supplies ( I think thats what it was called ) down Holdenhurst Rd.

Cheers Peter,

Oh here's another Christmas card for you.

post-7022-1260535557049_thumb.jpg

Season's greetings to you Frank,

I really like the one of the 93 in the bay taken from the road. I used to catch the stopper to Bournemouth and go the the book shop and Bournemouth Model Train Supplies ( I think thats what it was called ) down Holdenhurst Rd.

Cheers Peter,

Oh here's another Christmas card for you.

Top Shot, Peter, Christmas Cheers to you too icon_thumbsup2.gif.

I can understand why you sailed away to sunnier shores down under. Frostbitten, no doubt ? icon_smile.gif icon_wink.gif

Yep, the book shop on the Holdenhurst Road. One of the 'Great, little shops', in my opinion. Stocked a multitude of transport and model related books, rtr, kits & bits, etc. etc. Sorely missed. I mean, you can't spend an hour or so, thumbing through books on the internet, can you ?.

IIRC the shop opened in the mid / late 70s, situated on the same side of the road as, and nearby 'The Dolphin' pub and was a branch of the Oxford Publishing Co's (OPC) shop in, well, Oxford.

Known, in those days, as 'Prontos, the Railway Book and Model Centre', I seem to recall.

Behind the counter, and managing the shop was Ian Kennedy, always with a friendly and cheerful greeting, and very knowledgeable too. He, and members of the Kennedy family, are now heavily involved in the editing and publication of the monthly mag' 'Steam Days' and the books and videos of the 'Oakwood Press'. I still see them occasionally, at the Poole & District MRC shows in November. A grand bunch of folk.

Another regular inhabitant was Jim Russell, of GWR loco & rolling stock fame, more often than not, seen, and heard, 'thrashing' away on his typewriter, compiling the catalogues for the OPC / BR Joint Venture Drawings & Photos Scheme.

I think it was in the early 90s that the shop moved to the opposite side of the road, on the corner of Lowther Rd., now trading under the name 'Motorail Books' , and a year or so later? was taken over by a certain Mr. Paul Mays of this very Parish (bike2steam), Another very cheerful, knowledgeable and very helpful fellow. Always up to speed with any new release, and if he didn't stock it, he would always order it for you at very competitive prices.

Alas, with the overwhelming competition from the internet, and the local collectors marts, not to mention the local 'Business Tax', Paul was forced to close, a few years ago, now. A great loss.

But it's good to see he's still holding his head up, and keepin' on, keepin' on, i.e. with the handicapped children and the Blandford Forum layout etc.

There is just the one specifically model railway shop left in B'mth, also on the Holdenhurst Rd., further along, 'The Bournemouth Model Railway Centre' run by Derek Purkess (also of this Parish, I think) and his team. Plenty of model railway stuff and advice therin , along with their own 'Traintronics' signalling / lighting and accessories, and loads of 'Scalextric' too.

Not many books though.

Ah, Those were the days

Cheers and bye fer now, Frank.

• RMweb Gold

I'd posted some pics on the previous incarnation of RMWeb so I'll add some additional ones now. These were taken over the period 1987 to 1990.

More to come when I get the opportunity to sort out my prints and slides, and get the scanner working.

Top Shot, Peter, Christmas Cheers to you too icon_thumbsup2.gif.

I can understand why you sailed away to sunnier shores down under. Frostbitten, no doubt ? icon_smile.gif icon_wink.gif

Yep, the book shop on the Holdenhurst Road. One of the 'Great, little shops', in my opinion. Stocked a multitude of transport and model related books, rtr, kits & bits, etc. etc. Sorely missed. I mean, you can't spend an hour or so, thumbing through books on the internet, can you ?.

IIRC the shop opened in the mid / late 70s, situated on the same side of the road as, and nearby 'The Dolphin' pub and was a branch of the Oxford Publishing Co's (OPC) shop in, well, Oxford.

Known, in those days, as 'Prontos, the Railway Book and Model Centre', I seem to recall.

Behind the counter, and managing the shop was Ian Kennedy, always with a friendly and cheerful greeting, and very knowledgeable too. He, and members of the Kennedy family, are now heavily involved in the editing and publication of the monthly mag' 'Steam Days' and the books and videos of the 'Oakwood Press'. I still see them occasionally, at the Poole & District MRC shows in November. A grand bunch of folk.

Another regular inhabitant was Jim Russell, of GWR loco & rolling stock fame, more often than not, seen, and heard, 'thrashing' away on his typewriter, compiling the catalogues for the OPC / BR Joint Venture Drawings & Photos Scheme.

I think it was in the early 90s that the shop moved to the opposite side of the road, on the corner of Lowther Rd., now trading under the name 'Motorail Books' , and a year or so later? was taken over by a certain Mr. Paul Mays of this very Parish (bike2steam), Another very cheerful, knowledgeable and very helpful fellow. Always up to speed with any new release, and if he didn't stock it, he would always order it for you at very competitive prices.

Alas, with the overwhelming competition from the internet, and the local collectors marts, Paul was forced to close, a few years ago, now. A great loss.

But it's good to see he's still holding his head up, and keepin' on, keepin' on, i.e. with the handicapped children and the Blandford Forum layout etc.

There is just the one specifically model railway shop left in B'mth, also on the Holdenhurst Rd., further along, 'The Bournemouth Model Railway Centre' run by Derek Purkess (also of this Parish, I think) and his team. Plenty of model railway stuff and advice therin , along with their own 'Traintronics' signalling / lighting and accessories, and loads of 'Scalextric' too.

Not many books though.

Ah, Those were the days

Cheers and bye fer now, Frank.

Hi Frank,

When I was over in 2003 I went to both shops, it's a shame to hear about Motorail books closing. I think it was Ian who used to have a trade stand at the New Forest Model Railway Societies yearly Railway exhibition, Always seemed like a nice bloke to me. Glad to hear they are still about.

Cheers Peter,

Just a few more! I'm finding it quite addictive.. Hamworthy steel train features twice. I'm pretty sure the second one is in Poole, crossing Poole Park.

post-6849-12607881075284_thumb.jpgpost-6849-12607881380124_thumb.jpg

Sorry about the poor quality on the right hand side, thought it was an intersting bit of kit though.

post-6849-12607881589548_thumb.jpg

Cheers

scott

• RMweb Gold

Here is another batch from Bournemouth. These were taken in 1973, slightly earlier than the title of this topic but hopefully no one will object.

As I was 14 at the time I took the original film please excuse the lack of lack of composition and less than perfect exposure that is apparent. At least I managed to hold the camera steady. :blink:

2x 4Veps enter Bournemouth Middle Sidings.

6580 (later 33119) awaits its next duty.

1698 approaching Bournemouth Central on 1E63, an inter-regional working to Newcastle.

I imagine this was a bit of a stranger at Bournemouth Depot in 1973. 4EPBs weren't unknown at Bournemouth but it's a little bit away from its usual haunts.

One of the depots more usual residents. Bournemouth allocated 4 Vep 7747

The next batch will be back to the late 1980s and the introduction of the 5WES (Class 442) and the demise of the 4 Reps and TCs.

• 1 month later...

Yarp, they look remarkably like Clapham Junction to me. Thge second pic was taken from the Windsor lines platforms looking across to what we called the Kenny side, where trains for Kensington went.

An interesting working I never recorded was in about 1979 when stock training at Woking, there was some disruption on the Salisbury line. An 8SUB appeared from Waterloo bearing the headcode 66 (Salisbury). It turned out the up working was so late it terminated at Woking. The down service from Waterloo was formed of the 8SUB which terminated at woking, where the booked loco and stock took over.

Is this the only time a SUB unit has worked a Salisbury train?

I've also got a pic of the test coach Iris, the Derby lightweight DMU on the down main between Earlsfield and Wimbledon, circa 1983. How do I post piccys on here?

Hi all

Couple of photo's I picked up when back in the UK a few weeks ago, can anyone confirm

the location is Clapham Jnc for both?

cheers

Keith

interesting vehicle behind the stripy 73 - is that a gauging van, with the "fingers" that stick out? Set them to the required position, and if they hit the edge of a structure, you're got some work to do. Think I've a photo of one somewhere. Bit low-tech compared to lasers etc.

Edit: looks like this one: http://www.departmentals.com/photo/975807b

Hi All.

It's 'Spot the Station Time'.

For a little light entertainment, and, of course, an excuse to post a few 80's/90's, and later pics. of some units' front ends, here's the question.....

Can any one identify the stations featured in the photos ?.

Eeasy eenuff, for you Southern Buffs, but, how 'bout those North of the River ?. 'Ere we go !!.

post-7009-1259278285875_thumb.jpg 1.

post-7009-12592765673832_thumb.jpg 2.

post-7009-12592766795251_thumb.jpg 3.

post-7009-12592769190389_thumb.jpg 4.

post-7009-12592769761121_thumb.jpg 5.

post-7009-12592774667815_thumb.jpg 6.

post-7009-12592773375181_thumb.jpg 7.

post-7009-12592771324151_thumb.jpg 8.

post-7009-12592787475552_thumb.jpg 9.

post-7009-12592800890042_thumb.jpg 10.

Unless you consider me staying with you over Christmas, and possibly the New Year, a prize ohmy.gif , there are none.

Just a bit of fun.smile.gif

Regards and bye fer now.

5838 & 5909 Waterloo.

Some shots of Dover from an earlier and busier time -August 1981

All the way from Manchester for the day on MerryMaker trip for ??7-00 - try that today :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

09018 Dover 090881

post-1161-12648063863409_thumb.jpg

33039 Dover 090881

post-1161-12648063955282_thumb.jpg

33212 Dover 090881

post-1161-12648064146511_thumb.jpg

73004 Dover 090881

post-1161-12648064239451_thumb.jpg

73004,73110,73137,73036 Dover 090881

post-1161-12648064304769_thumb.jpg

73138 Dover 090881

post-1161-1264806439248_thumb.jpg

73138,33065 Dover 090881

post-1161-12648064476866_thumb.jpg

5838 & 5909 Waterloo.

Quite Correct Stewart, Well done and Well spotted.

But, you're a teeny bit behind the others. The answers were posted up on Dec. 2nd. '09, on page 2 of this thread.

Many thanks for taking an interest, taking part and posting your reply.

Regards, Ceptic.

Hi All.

I found this last night. Not so much single photos, but a whole load of 'em, strung together.

I could be wrong, but, I don't think this has featured on here before.

Well done and cheers to the guy who made the video icon_clap.gif icon_thumbsup2.gif . It certainly brought back memories to this household.

Regards from a Very Happy icon_e_biggrin.gif * Ceptic.

* The 2nd. Bachmann 4-CEP recently arrived and I have been somewhat distracted of late. A belated Happy New Year to you Guys too.

Are they really sleepers behind that 33?

No- they're Mark 1 day stock. The sleepers had a raised section along the roof centre-line for ventilation, almost like a low, narrow, clerestory.

That's the first photo I've seen of that bit of Dover Marine before it was remodelled to give the loading/unloading roads for the train ferry in 1986/7. Am I correct in thinking that there was originally a carriage shed there?

No- they're Mark 1 day stock. ...

My mistake - perspective made the windows look smaller.

How about a couple just E of Northfleet, 1982, in a landscape that's changed a bit since then:

Two Eastleigh 33s on the Allington-Westbury empties

post-6971-12655453378651_thumb.jpg

and an EPB set on a CX-Gillingham, slightly unusual to have a 2-EPB sandwiched by two 4-EPBs. They were mostly at one end of eight.

post-6971-12655453684434_thumb.jpg

Last time I went past, the footbridge used for those photos had been sliced off.

Archived