Wrexham & Shropshire MK3's

St. Simon

Hi,

I had an email from Hattons yesterday to say that the Wrexham & Shropshire MK3's have arrived, had a look to order one or two today to find something odd, if you look on the photos of them below you can see that the buffers are missing at both ends:

R4470

R4470A

It is very odd as when Hornby first released the MK3's as HST trailers, they included the buffers, which are wrong as only MK3a's (the loco-hauled versions) have buffers. This problem has now addressed by modifiying the tooling to remove the buffers, but they have created a problem that now they can't produce the Loco-hauled MK3's as the buffers are needed.

It isn't the biggest of problems as you can get replacements, but it does seem that someone at Hornby has overlooked this detail, so what do others think and where can you get the best replacements

Other than that, the livery looks well produced.

Simon

I wouldexpect that as with all other Hornby mk3's, the buffers come seperately in the box to fit as required. The only Hornby mk3's which come with buffers as part of the moulding are the ex Lima TGS and TRFB

Hi,

I didn't know that, right it's a case of me being stupid!

Sorry for any confusion! :blush: :fool_mini:

Simon

I wouldexpect that as with all other Hornby mk3's, the buffers come seperately in the box to fit as required. The only Hornby mk3's which come with buffers as part of the moulding are the ex Lima TGS and TRFB

I have the Cargo D Wrexham and Shropshire set of blue/grey coaches released last year and have just had a look at them and oddly all three came with buffers fitted.

• RMweb Gold

I was supposed to pick up mine today from haslington models but could 't make it before work unfortunatly

I think im going to debrand mine to how they were between wsmr ending and being rebeanded for chiltern mainline

I think im going to debrand mine to how they were between wsmr ending and being rebeanded for chiltern mainline

If you give Colin an email at http://www.r3sprays.co.uk/contact-us he has done outstanding Chiltern Mainline decals for me. I know he still has the design to print off ;) Really affordable too!!

(I cant attach a photo, so here is a link: http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/695/img1853p.jpg/)

Problem with the Hornby WSMR models is that it doesn't look like they're doing an RFM - although in fairness the four ex-WSMR RFMs are so heavily modified that the ex-lima tooling that Hornby have modified as a 4-window buffet would be quite a long way from the reality.

• RMweb Gold

If you give Colin an email at http://www.r3sprays.co.uk/contact-us he has done outstanding Chiltern Mainline decals for me. I know he still has the design to print off ;) Really affordable too!!

(I cant attach a photo, so here is a link: http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/695/img1853p.jpg/)

i may well do that, thanks for the link

i do have a copy of the original artwork drawings at home with all the dimensions, colours etc on which is useful had i decided to paint any myself

So with my GNER MK3's, that have come with the buffers fitted, how would I go about removing them without damaging the carriage ends? I've had a go and they simply don't want to budge....Yet these are all part of the new Hornby MK3 range.

So with my GNER MK3's, that have come with the buffers fitted, how would I go about removing them without damaging the carriage ends? I've had a go and they simply don't want to budge....Yet these are all part of the new Hornby MK3 range.

On the Hornby-designed models, they are usually just push-fit. It's only generally the ex-Lima ones (4-window buffet, not done in GNER livery, and TGS) which have the fixed buffers.

If they really won't shift, I guess a scalpel is probably your best option!

• RMweb Gold

Are there plans to put branding on the locos / DVTs or will these remain unbranded?

as far as i know they are staying as they are

finally picked up my coaches earlier, pretty impressed with them, i am thinking about debranding them as i said above but now they are out of the box im not so sure!!

can the couplings be replaced with kaydees or similar, they look to be the old airfix fitment

837de064.jpg

d1d66939.jpg

they look nice in a full rake with matching loco and dvt (the dvt is unbranded though!!)

522f8100.jpg

5b54d5df.jpg

• RMweb Gold

I have the Hornby WSMR class 67 and DVT so must get done of tese newly released coaches as they do look good. Not sure when they will get used as thy won't fit on Banbury!

I assumed they had NEM pockets but will have to check. If they do then th Kadee number 19s or 20s should fit

Big Jim - see you have te same problem as me that the layout only goes up when it's not raining!

Ian

as far as i know they are staying as they are

finally picked up my coaches earlier, pretty impressed with them, i am thinking about debranding them as i said above but now they are out of the box im not so sure!!

can the couplings be replaced with kaydees or similar, they look to be the old airfix fitment

837de064.jpg

d1d66939.jpg

they look nice in a full rake with matching loco and dvt (the dvt is unbranded though!!)

522f8100.jpg

5b54d5df.jpg

Hi Jim,

Not sure about the couplings but don't forget that most of the Chiltern MK3s have 3 roe-vac roof vents on the ends as opposed to the single square vent on the model. You can get a pack of 10 from Southern Pride models for 80p. See part number P128 http://www.southernpridemodels.co.uk/

Cheers

Tom

wonder if anyone could produce an etch to make a buffet car out of a standard coach, it looks like it only needs a few windows blocking up and others making smaller

Hi,

Shawplan do etched MK3 window frames. You could block up the redundant ones with plasticard and use the etched frames for the new windows perhaps?

Cheers

Tom

• RMweb Gold

thats what i was thinking, or use their lazer glaze to fill the window hole perfectly to save the agro of cutting the plasticard and then just paint over them where needed

i may well have a word with bryan and see if he can make an etch of the smaller new window frames etc as getting dimensions is not a problem

Wonder whether Hurst would produce an etch for the RFM? They've previously done the other three variants of the RFM.

Also, I wonder whether it would be worth seeing if they would so etches for the power-door Chiltern silver coaches, when they appear? I've briefly seen the outside of a couple of these in the Yard at Wabtec in Doncaster, and the only obvious change appears to be that the power doors are set in slightly from the ends of the coaches - much like the Mk4s. I've not see the doors open, but they are plug doors so I assume they swing out and away from the coach end.

haven't the electric door mk3's got triangular windows on the doors?

Think you're probably right - I'll have to have another look. If there's anyone from Wabtec on here, please put them in the West Yard with nothing in the way so that we can have a good look at them :)

• RMweb Gold

i believe the first set is pretty imminent, possibly the next few weeks, it will be doing "shadow runs" in between the regular service, there is only one 67 with door controls at the minute though and that so ive been told is currently out of service!

Archived