Par to Newquay resignalling

ess1uk

• RMweb Gold

Folks, this really is very early days, as usual a press story with little behind it has 'got the hares running...'

NR has been doing a preliminary study for Cornwall Council to explore the options, paid for entirely by the local authority. I have had some involvement, and things ain't as clear cut as the press article implies - no real surprises there, surely?

Personally, I would push very hard for significant infrastructure improvements at St Austell to handle the new/amended services, may be even a bay platform, certainly some more signalling, but none of this is even remotely funded yet, and there is a mass of water to flow under the metaphorical bridge before anything starts resembling a definite decision.

One thing, though, who in their right mind in this current climate would fund the retention of the Goonbarrow Jct to St Dennis Jct section, were the passenger route to be via Parkandillack?

Rich and Martyn have got one thing spot on in their discussions, therefore, which is that Goonbarrow box could be replaced by a GF or just hand points. It would mean the closure of Luxulyan, Bugle & Roche stations, which I agree would be a shame, but if it came down to a straight choice, who would refuse a new, higher speed link from a sensible changing trains location like St Austell, which is much better set up to deal with passengers for that purpose than Par? (as Mickey will probably only remember too well! ;) )...

To retain these three halts would require further local authority or other funding, which I am sure would not form part of the business case for the new link.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the "voice of realism", CK! As usual, we get a bit over-excited over possible improvements, but it is heartening to hear that there are proposals under consideration even if they may be along term project :)

Biggest problem with the service to Newquay is that way back when they shut the wrong line.....Newquay to Truro via Chacewater would have been much more sensible a route to keep open

Completely agree looking at all the stops along that line, but too late for that.

Agree that losing those halts would be a shame, but agree it would be a real benefit.

Cheers,

Simon

• 5 years later...
  • RMweb Gold

Piecemeal enhancements like this do not a re-signalling make. There is clearly an acceptance that full re-signalling is now so far off that other improvements cannot wait for it.

I strongly suspect that, when the time does eventually come, much of Cornwall will go from lower quadrant semaphores to in-cab signalling in one go!  

John

Piecemeal enhancements like this do not a re-signalling make. There is clearly an acceptance that full re-signalling is now so far off that other improvements cannot wait for it.

I strongly suspect that, when the time does eventually come, much of Cornwall will go from lower quadrant semaphores to in-cab signalling in one go!  

John

As a driver over the route in question I agree with you, as Kernow is so far away from London (it may as well be on another planet) there is no desire to waste spend money down here, When the grand Exeter ROC scheme was first mooted I just laughed because I knew then there was no way that amount of money was going to be spent on it and it would be trimmed back until very little remained (see the current amount allocated to the new depot at Exeter which has been cut by £15million despite funding supposedly being in place), now, with the 2 trains an hour coming ever closer, it has been realised the signalling isnt up to it (sections too long) so something has to be done, so they are doing the bare minimum to make it possible.

Its a good job they managed to squeeze it all into Lostwithiel because at one stage it looked like another signal box would need to be opened.

• 3 months later...

As a driver over the route in question I agree with you, as Kernow is so far away from London (it may as well be on another planet) there is no desire to waste spend money down here, When the grand Exeter ROC scheme was first mooted I just laughed because I knew then there was no way that amount of money was going to be spent on it and it would be trimmed back until very little remained (see the current amount allocated to the new depot at Exeter which has been cut by £15million despite funding supposedly being in place), now, with the 2 trains an hour coming ever closer, it has been realised the signalling isnt up to it (sections too long) so something has to be done, so they are doing the bare minimum to make it possible.

Its a good job they managed to squeeze it all into Lostwithiel because at one stage it looked like another signal box would need to be opened.

So if Lostwithiel is busier does it get an extra signaller to help out?

Long thread!  Has the introduction of the new trains and conversion of the HSTs made any difference to this discussion?

Brian.

Stage 1 (Menheniot and Bodmin areas) went live a couple of weeks ago, the rest will go live in a month or two ((I think).

The HST conversion has replaced a 150 so no enhanced (timetable) service yet

• 6 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Archived