Typical GWR brick-built shunters cabin

• RMweb Gold

On a work-related visit to Truro Yard a little while ago, I took the opportunity to take a few photos of this rather nice brick building, which may have been a shunters cabin or similar years ago. These days, despite the palisade fencing, it is in use by the local PW as a store. The views of the roof were taken from the public footbridge, which crosses the whole site:

post-57-0-49099300-1333294752.jpg

post-57-0-11948100-1333294762.jpg

post-57-0-93657400-1333294772.jpg

post-57-0-07594300-1333294783.jpg

post-57-0-73599200-1333294793.jpg

post-57-0-72830400-1333294806.jpg

post-57-0-09213200-1333294822.jpg

post-57-0-48441500-1333294834.jpg

post-57-0-10371600-1333294847.jpg

I have no reason to make a model of this building at the moment, but I'm certain it would make a super scratchbuilding project for someone, perhaps the 2012 Scratchbuilding Challenge?

Edit - just wondering, looking at the photos again, if it might have been a stable block?

...Edit - just wondering, looking at the photos again, if it might have been a stable block?

That was my first thought, at least for the central part. From a couple of examples, both larger and smaller, in Vaughan's Pictorial Record of GW Architecture, the doors to the stable area were typically 4'6" wide. Maybe you can count some bricks on the originals?

Nick

• RMweb Gold

Interesting variety of comments, here, the mention by Simon Haynes seems definitive, if it's on an official plan.

Notwithstanding that, I would imagine that with some variety as to doors and windows, the basic design could be used for various general railway purposes.

• RMweb Gold

Interesting variety of comments, here, the mention by Simon Haynes seems definitive, if it's on an official plan.

Notwithstanding that, I would imagine that with some variety as to doors and windows, the basic design could be used for various general railway purposes.

Absolutely Cap'n - a lot of 'standard feature' (I deliberately omitted the 's') about it and clearly a lot more to it as a building than a Checker would have needed so it quite likely served a wider purpose than that?

Hello all,

A crap photo from my phone as just in middle of things, but Truro was expecting a fair amount of traffic when rebuilt the 2nd time after broad gauge rebuild. Traffic from Newham, Falmouth, Newquay etc all coming in, it was imagined a busy place as the new 'capital' of Cornwall. Not like now then, tumble weed after 6:30.

Cheers,

Simon

Truro checker plan

Hello all,

A crap photo from my phone as just in middle of things, but Truro was expecting a fair amount of traffic when rebuilt the 2nd time after broad gauge rebuild. Traffic from Newham, Falmouth, Newquay etc all coming in, it was imagined a busy place as the new 'capital' of Cornwall. Not like now then, tumble weed after 6:30.

Cheers,

Simon

If the station had been rebuilt and this plan is of the rebuilt area,the structure could still have been a stable block originally (which is what it looks like I must admit) and then re-used as a "checkers cabin"after the rebuild ....??

Regards Trevor ... :sungum:

Perhaps, but I'm now leaning away from my original thought that it might be a stable block because of the lack of windows in the central (possibly stable area) and the lack of evidence for ventilators. Often these were in the windows and at the top of higher than normal door openings. Also many stables had beehive (is that the right term) ventilators on the roof. Of course it may have been re-roofed, but theres no sign of such venilators on the roof.

Nick

Was there a weighbridge with another "office" block?

PB

The main goods shed for Truro was to the (South) East of the Station and a WB and Crane are marked on the 1964 OS Map.

Much as I would like this building to be a stable block I don't think it can be if it is North of the running tracks and serving the fan of what look to have been holding and marshalling sidings apparently without sufficent gaps between them for easy vehicular access.

It makes no sense anyway to have a nag dragging goods all the way from/to the "wrong side of the tracks" when the main goods facility is on the right side of the tracks and "just" up the hill from the town(that should be City?) centre.

Logically to me any stables would have been near the Goods Shed.

Edited to past tense

Nice pictures, Cap'n, plenty of reference detail there, those ar wide slates, too.

I concur re the lack of ventilation/traces thereof making it unlikely to have been a stable block but for me the clincher for 'No neddy business' is the lack of tehering rings on the walls outside! Every stable I've had anything to do with had a series of rings at shoulder height close to the non-hinge side of each door.

Besides, you don't need a door per horse....and two chimneys?? Think straw, fire etc........And why one smaller door at the far end...?

Checker? Wasn't that someone who made up/broke down large consignments of goods into smaller packes for onward delivery by van? The need for wider doors [trolleys and handcarts] seems to fit......

Well, it's time for one of my green pills...Nurse! can you bring the screens, please?

Doug

Archived