Scalecraft Roadrailer

Probably all the lead in the paint!

Could quite well be, ive kept all my paints in an old cigar box for over 50 years, the old humbrel paints seem to last for ever, the paint pigment settles on the bottom and a lovely smelling thinner on top, some paints like silver or gun metal one just has to dip a screwdriver in and use whats on that.

Years ago i was told to turn them upside down, some i did  but they went off, just shake the tin and hear a soild lump inside.

shame the glue didn,t last

Here is a train of fifteen Scalecraft Roadrailers on my EM Gauge Trafalgar Yard layout, since sold on due to lack of space.

post-1381-0-14312400-1517521921_thumb.jpg

post-1381-0-20494700-1517521958_thumb.jpg

post-1381-0-58446900-1517521986_thumb.jpg

The train includes the open trailer bringing up the rear, this Roadrailer train has done a couple of circuits on Roy Jackson's Retford which caused some amazement and incredibility that they stayed on the track and together.

Steve. 

• Like 14

Nice train - I too have the open Roadrailer, which always seemed to be at the end of the rake and carried, I understand, the compressor used to operate the changeover mechanism from road to rail use.

Regards,
John Isherwood.

PS for ...incredibility..., read ...incredulity... . Sorry, I'm in Mr. Picky mode !!

Excellent, thanks for the link to CCT.

LOVE that looooong Roadrailer train, it really brings back memories.  :D

I don't recall the flat wagon carrying a compressor, and I never saw it on the track, but then I was only on that job for a very short time and we always used a shop air line with a VERY long hose. 

Edited by Mr_Tilt
  • Like 1

I understand that the raising/lowering mechanism was designed to be operated by the lorry compressor.

Very impressed with the long RR train.

I am not surprised that they performed well on Retford-the vehicles conformed to 3-point suspension, and should run just as well on P4 track, with no springing or compensation.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Made one recently this time I read the instructions and found to my surprise you don't need to use glue on rear doors they clip fit in so one can open and close them

Made one recently this time I read the instructions and found to my surprise you don't need to use glue on rear doors they clip fit in so one can open and close them

post-60-0-91717600-1522944114_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

That surprised, wrote it twice, one for each door!    :jester:

That surprised, wrote it twice, one for each door!    :jester:

Surprised me as well sometime my so called smart phone is doing writing everything twice including texts, cause I am last to know until recipient tells us I am been rude or over stating a message.

Still it's a lovely kit to make, everything seemed to fit together shame they are so rare and expensive, I've a few pre made one's mostly badly made I've collected from toy fairs some will be rebuilt others use a static model

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Hello, I am new here - I want to model from scratch, first in CAD and then via 3D Print using the CAD model, some of these PSC Roadrailers, (once built it would easily convert to other liveried versions or the earlier US C&O version) - I just need a few overall dimensions and details like wheel sizes etc.

Here is a Crane I have just done for someone to model in 1/35 scale -:

gallery_34954_4571_367327.jpg

gallery_34954_4571_334311.jpg

.... can anyone help, or point me in the right direction please ?

Thanks Andy

Edited by rowehillmaster

• RMweb Premium

Hello, I am new here - I want to model from scratch, first in CAD and then via 3D Print using the CAD model, some of these PSC Roadrailers, (once built it would easily convert to other liveried versions or the earlier US C&O version) - I just need a few overall dimensions and details like wheel sizes etc.

Here is a Crane I have just done for someone to model in 1/35 scale -:

gallery_34954_4571_367327.jpg

gallery_34954_4571_334311.jpg

.... can anyone help, or point me in the right direction please ?

Thanks Andy

???? are you sure your posting on the right thread?

• RMweb Premium

Hi Andy, those are very impressive CAD models. I think you're after information about the American Roadrailers. The early ones were similar in operation to the British ones being discussed here, but later ones varied quite a bit. The rail wheels were removed from the trailers and they used separate rail bogies instead when running on rails. Can't help you with any specific details as I don't have any, maybe better to ask in the USA section of RMweb.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/forum/155-usa-canadian-railroads/

• Like 1

???? are you sure your posting on the right thread?

Yes - it is the 1960 PSC Roadrailer that I want to model, as trialed in the UK (what the Scalecraft model is based upon) it was originally a Roadrailer built for the C&O in the 1950s by Comeng

Edited by rowehillmaster
  • Like 1

I scaled up the dimensions of my built up production RoadRailers and the basic stuff is below:-

Length along the body shell : 24 ft 8 ins

Width across the body shell at the cantrail : 8 ft 3ins (the body shell is 3 ins narrower

Height of the bodyshell from the bottom of the underframe to the peak of the roof : 8 ft 11 ins

Height of the bodyshell from the sills to the peak of the roof : 8 ft 6 ins

Height of the bodyshell from the sills to the cantrails ; 7 ft 3 ins

Road wheel dia across tyres : 3 ft 

Road wheel dia : 1 ft 6 ins

Rail wheel dia : 2 ft 4 ins

Bogie wheelbase : 4 ft 1 ins

Hope that's enough to get you going anyway. 

• Like 1

Yes - it is the 1960 PSC Roadrailer that I want to model, as trialed in the UK (what the Scalecraft model is based upon) it was originally a Roadrailer built for the C&O in the 1950s by Comeng

Let us all know if you intend to produce models for sale-a rake of these would be ideal for my project.

• Like 1

Hope that's enough to get you going anyway. 

.... Thanks, that is just the starter I need to work up a scaling scheme to use as I create the CAD model - it ties in with the one dimension I have of an overall length quoted in a book about Comeng, obviously gauge width is another know dimension !

I'm not sure if these links have been posted before but just for completeness some links to pics of two different types of the 1959 C&O original roadrailers or to give them their official C&O name, "Combination Highway-Rail Trailers".

https://flic.kr/p/pGU7RE

http://rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=1281031

P

I'm not sure if these links have been posted before but just for completeness some links to pics of two different types of the 1959 C&O original roadrailers or to give them their official C&O name, "Combination Highway-Rail Trailers".

http://rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=1281031

That second one looks very like the PSF prototypes, albeit a tad longer.