Scalecraft Roadrailer

.... been playing again - as my initial model has the flatter top roof and in the absence of detail, I have made a coloured decal (my interpretation of colours) to recreate the look - what do you think ?

gallery_34954_4587_18121.jpg

Great minds think alike !! This is exactly my interpretation, as provided on my Roadrailer transfer sheet BL20; see https://www.cctrans.org.uk/products.htm .

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• Like 2

You'll have to be careful with the lettering on the board in that format. As far as I can tell that format was only used on the two prototypes whilst running with the early style of roadwheel and at the Marylebone exhibition.  (and travel to from?)  By the time of the commercial Motor show a few months later, the simpler styled overall blue with just the capitalised "roadrailer" script was fitted.

I think the BRS was dropped due to British Road Services developing resistance to the overall Roadrailer project.

P

• Like 1

You'll have to be careful with the lettering on the board in that format. As far as I can tell that format was only used on the two prototypes whilst running with the early style of roadwheel and at the Marylebone exhibition.  (and travel to from?)  By the time of the commercial Motor show a few months later, the simpler styled overall blue with just the capitalised "roadrailer" script was fitted.

I think the BRS was dropped due to British Road Services developing resistance to the overall Roadrailer project.

P

.... I agree, it would be very time / date specific like that - I do have the other wheel type and roof line planned, so my kit will have alternate parts so you can do what you like, prototype, production, road wheels up, road wheels down, landing legs road wheel, landing legs rail wheel, landing legs retracted, I will also make a US prototype 1, US prototype 2 and US production.

• Like 2

.... which is also included with the Cambridge Custom Transfers sheet BL20.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Ah but: are you still supplying these transfer sheets with the running numbers for the "production" RR's printed incorrectly in black? The only script in black on the sides being the small text under the red Warning Inscription on the rearmost panels.

P

Edited by Porcy Mane

Ah but: are you still supplying these transfer sheets with the running numbers for the "production" RR's printed incorrectly in black? The only script in black on the sides being the small text under the red Warning Inscription on the rearmost panels.

P

In short - no.

Research for my transfer sheets is painstaking, and always utilises the best historic sources available to me.

Back at the end of the Twentieth Century, when I was compiling the Roadrailer transfer sheet, no colour photos of Roadrailers were available to me. Since black lettering was used on white insulated perishables wagons, it seemed logical that such would have been used on unpainted aluminium-bodied Roadrailers; available B&W photos did not contradict this assumption.

Subsequently, the odd colour photo has surfaced, indicating that the majority of the markings on Roadrailers were red; my transfer sheet has been amended accordingly.

I always encourage customers to advise me of any perceived errors on my transfer sheets; very, very few have had cause to do so and, where necessary, the appropriate amendments are always made.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• Like 1

Research for my transfer sheets is painstaking,

Obviously. So might I ask when your Roadrailer sheet was amended?

and moving of topic what sources did you use for let's say your ICI Ammonia and Methanol tank transfer sheets?

• Like 2

Obviously. So might I ask when your Roadrailer sheet was amended?

and moving of topic what sources did you use for let's say your ICI Ammonia and Methanol tank transfer sheets?

I'm afraid that I have no record of when the sheet was amended.

Likewise, I do not have records of the sources of my research into any of my transfer sheets - if you have a specific problem of accuracy with any transfer sheet that you have purchased from me, please let me know and I will look into the matter.

If you would care to give me your real name and address - by PM of course - I will be able to check what purchases you have made.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• Like 1

I have no problem but I know others that do. I will point them in the direction of your post.

P

Please do - I have to say that I prefer comment first hand, rather than via a third party with no apparent interest in my products other than to cast unsupported aspersions.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

John,

I see no aspersions being cast. I initially asked a straightforward question asking if a specific transfer sheet was still being produced incorrectly.

The two people I know that have found inaccuracies with the numbering on some of your transfer sheets worked around the problem by cutting and shutting.

Just for your info, on the one occasion I found a numbering problem on one of your sheets I communicated it to you (with photographic evidence) and you updated the sheet.

So let's get back to Roadrailers.

• Like 1

John,

I see no aspersions being cast. I initially asked a straightforward question asking if a specific transfer sheet was still being produced incorrectly.

The two people I know that have found inaccuracies with the numbering on some of your transfer sheets worked around the problem by cutting and shutting.

Just for your info, on the one occasion I found a numbering problem on one of your sheets I communicated it to you (with photographic evidence) and you updated the sheet.

So let's get back to Roadrailers.

Porcy,

You raised the matter, so I trust that you will allow me a final response.

It is no secret that, when few photos of a particular subject are available at the time of research, interpolation is the only resort if a full sheet of numbering is to be provided.

If purchasers subsquently have information that some numbers have been incorrectly interpolated - AND DULY INFORM ME OF THE FACT - I will ALWAYS correct the numbers in question.

The choice is, very often with PO subjects; either use reasonable supposition to provide a full sheet of transfers, or refuse to comply with a request for specific transfers.

BR subjects are easier - there are good records of numbering - but PO numbering often seems to defy logic, or is totally random.

If I don't know that there is better infornation out there, I can't use it to produce even more accurate transfers - it's as simple as that!

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• Like 3

..... and I now have this -:

All the time I've spent looking for stuff and I'd forgotten I had a copy of that. Might have saved a bit of time. It's been sat in a draw less than two feet away from me.

L Ashwell Wood?

That must have come from the Eagle comic!  :good:

20th April 1963 Issue. They did quite a lot of railway cutaways. The experimental Kinetic Energy Gyro electric  Shunter as trialled by the NCB was quite quirky.

25428291518_a8d5a9e7be_b.jpgTRAIN E SHUNTER GYRO ELECTRIC - Eagle Cutaway Drawing 29-11-1958 BY L ASHWELL WOOD by ausdew, on Flickr

P

Edited by Porcy Mane
  • Like 8

All the time I've spent looking for stuff and I'd forgotten I had a copy of that. Might have saved a bit of time. It's been sat in a draw less than two feet away from me.

20th April 1963 Issue. They did quite a lot of railway cutaways. The experimental Kinetic Energy Gyro electric  Shunter as trialled by the NCB was quite quirky.

25428291518_a8d5a9e7be_b.jpgTRAIN E SHUNTER GYRO ELECTRIC - Eagle Cutaway Drawing 29-11-1958 BY L ASHWELL WOOD by ausdew, on Flickr

P

Isn't that similar to the system used for the Parry People-Mover?

Isn't that similar to the system used for the Parry People-Mover?

IIRC the Parry uses a piston engine to wind up a flywheel, and then the flywheel drives the axle(s) mechanically. I rode on it a short while ago and it sounds just like that too, but the ride is TERRIBLE!  :O

• 1 month later...

But what's that vehicle on the back of the RoadRailer train in the third pic down?

It looks like an RR flat with a forward bulkhead and a couple of containers lashed down to it. But there's a vague hint of two axle boxes at the rear, which means it's got a bogie back there. Very strange..............

• RMweb Premium

Hard to tell when just taking a photo of the TV, not sure it’s a bogie?

attachicon.gifA9F8BD58-0577-413A-9194-D7A38E8877BA.jpeg

It is a flat wagon that was developed but alongside the box vans and was the only one ever made. I have made a model of the flat wagon; I shall post some pictures sometime over the weekend.  It ran with the same underpinnings as th box wagon.