Stubby's 2nd 2012 Scratchbuild Challenge

• RMweb Gold

This is a small shed in Redruth, directly opposite the railway station.

The challeges with this are the out of place bricks and the vegitation growth below the roof. Not to mention capturing the air of decrepitude that permeates the whole structure, the peeling paint and rotten wood, the grafitti on the chipboard and the old, torn posters....

post-7025-0-45279100-1333438686_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

So, what are the details bits that will both make this a more realistic model and also be a pain in the butt to re-create...

post-7025-0-22257400-1333439525_thumb.jpg

1. A large growth of branches

2. No roof tiles, just battons over felt

3. Odd looking wooden (?) chimney

4. Missing roof / barge boards

5. Missing soffit boards

6. Old, torn posters on panelling over old window

7. Rear wall of shed overhangs this wall, so will need to be included

8. Ground covers brick base due to slope

9. Mis-placed bricks

10. Grafitti on chipboard

11. Wide door with three lower panels, faded paint

12. Severe sloping ground

13. Rotten wooden framework

Any Ideas as to its original purpose?

I guess a news-stand or a bacon-butty stall??? If the latter, the wooden stack would have been ventilation from the cooking area. (H&S would have a field-day!)

• RMweb Premium

It looks as if it was a shop of some kind.As for the brickwork I am lucky enough to have some Formcraft bricks in my modelling stash and I would use these if it was me doing it. The only other solution would be to cut some bricks out of 1mm card.

• RMweb Gold

Slow down Stu - you're making me dizzy ;) .

Nice prototype too and certainly a challenge, but surely not for a man of your calibre?

I have to admit I've made two attempts at this building so far, and have aborted both...

The brickwork is tricky, as Scalescenes would suit apart from the mis-placed ones - I might try this method again and use 1mm square plasticard for the errant bits.

I also mis-calculated the door size and the proportions looked wrong, so a third attempt will be made today.

Photos later...

I'd seek planning permission to knock it down and replace it with a modern town house - the developer's potential dream. As it stands it's well beyond my modelling skill. Good luck, it will be interesting to follow your techniques.

Hi Stu,

You're probably getting fed up with me muttering about bricks by now, but those bricks aren't misplaced. It looks like the timber part has been modified at some time. By its state, it may even be a case of remedial repairs to keep it standing. It looks like the brick wall was originally symmetrical about the doorway and the corner of the wall nearest to us is represented by the brick embedded in the paving. A few bricks at the corner above this have been either removed or fallen out. Either that, or the brick wall at the front continued to the right and the current side wall is sitting on an earlier internal dividing wall.

Do you have a photo showing the side wall on the right where it is in shadow? Is there a brick wall here?

Nick

• RMweb Gold

Nick,

No problems at all in you mentioning bricks - anything and everything I can find out helps build a better model.

This is a close up of the side of the building.

post-7025-0-87166000-1333449296_thumb.jpg

Stu

That makes it a lot clearer. It now looks like the wooden frame and brick base do indeed match with no missing bits, other than bricks. The main problem, both with the building and, i expect with modelling it will be the rot and shrinkage of the timbers in this corner. As far as I can tell, there is only one 'misplaced' brick, the one that sticks out in the top course to the right. It looks like someone has tried to force it back in the wrong way round, it should be a stretcher when viewed from the side. The brick below it is in situ.

Maybe the following helps, although my lines are a little misplaced on the side wall. It shows what I think was there originally with missing bricks, including three half- or queen headers, marked with an 'x'.

Nick

post-6746-0-37666100-1333453684.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Wow !

Thanks for that, it certainly helps to clarify the probable history and reasons behind the odd looking brickwork.

Which just leaves me the little task of how I'm to replicate this corner... I've got some scalescenes brick paper (TX01) which is the right colour and has black mortar, but how I can show the missing bits is unsure as yet. (The simple answer could be to place a couple of members of the public in front...).

The layers of rotten wood can be replicated with layers of paper, each revealing a little more of the layer beneath.

I'd missed the missing brick next to the door frame too,

• RMweb Gold

And so it begins (again...)

I'm a lot happier with the proportions this time, the door to wall balance looks better.

post-7025-0-47272000-1333455148_thumb.jpg

The brickwork will be basically Scalescenes, but with plasticard square rod used to represent the errant brickwork. (Thanks to Nick's help !)

This looks more of a task than your cattle creep. This is a very interesting shed. I do not think it will ever be repaired, we were taught that you needed to cut the wood for scarfing in new 3 feet past the last bit of rot. Looking at this it is above the ridge.

Good luck, I like to see your aproach to these projects.

• RMweb Gold

Stu, why not use plasticard for the brickwork this time?

It would probably be easier to replicate the damaged/missing brickwork in this way...

Attempt #2 used Slaters plasticard - it didn't look right or make the brickwork oddities any easier, hence the repeated attempt using brick paper.

• RMweb Gold

Great project, Stu. Fortunately this kind of modelling challenge will always be around, regardless of how sophisticated RTP buildings become.

I agree with the Captain, plasticard would be a good solution here.

(Oops, you replied while I typed. Still....)

The layers of rotten wood can be replicated with layers of paper, each revealing a little more of the layer beneath....

That could work well, especially if you chew the edges a bit first. I have in mind something like a broken wasps nest. Another thought I had was whether you could achieve a good effect using balsa that had been savaged by a wire brush?

Nick

• RMweb Gold

I won't be on the train

In which case the shed is just to the left of the Post Office entrance, next to a rather ornate building used as a foot clinic.

If you look around this area, there are some other rather fantastic buildings, full of character and carved stone.

Archived