Stubby's 2nd 2012 Scratchbuild Challenge

• RMweb Gold

The trouble is Peter, I see too many of these little buildings and want to model all of them.

But, I'm trying to make harder examples and better models each time, so when I start making actual layouts I have enough skills.

In those far off days before "proper" computers, punched cards were the norm in accountancy departments, and some dedicated modellers (names escape me) used the punched-out oblong "chads" laid and glued individually to represent brickwork, a real labour of love!

I think it would be difficult to find the "chads" now, although I think they still use punched cards in USA elections. (remember the "hanging chads" in the Florida elections 10 years or so ago?)

• RMweb Gold

I have bags of chads, we have a machine at work which cuts rectangular holes down the edge of a page, in which to insert a plastic binding strip.

the 'bricks' are a little oversize for house bricks, but make excellent paving slabs or breize blocks.

• RMweb Gold

I took some more photos of the little shed this morning, (in the rain), to get some better detail shots of the potential problem areas...

This is the corner with the bricks...

post-7025-0-90149200-1333538003_thumb.jpg

This is the side view with what appears to be a boarded over door, with poster frames added as well. Note the rather flakey paint work...

post-7025-0-18710700-1333538128_thumb.jpg

I took some more photos of the little shed this morning, (in the rain), to get some better detail shots of the potential problem areas...

Instead of faffing with fotos in the rain I reckon you should have done some 12 inch to the foot remodelling to restore the brickwork to it's apparently slightly neater earlier Google Streetview condition to avoid having "unlucky" 13 points of difficulty with the build.

But then again points of difficulty numbers 14 and 15 could be the genteel general sagging of the roof and the corbels at the rear of the building :no:

• RMweb Gold

Stu, for the veggie, hows about unwravelled embroidery cotton?

A couple of different shades should do it.

It unravels to form a very fine thread, useful for 'creepers' etc

I was thinking exactly that... - they know me at the haberdasher's stand in the indoor market, so I shouldn't get too many stange looks when asking for the cotton...

• RMweb Gold

There are some nice quoins in the back wall.

The back wall won't be seen...

I've added the lapboard planking on the front & left side walls, also added the windonw I didn't realise was there until yesterdays' photos were taken. The grey area is added cardboard to give the brickwork more of a pronouced step before the planking above it.

Planking is 3mm wide strips of 80msg paper, the window cill is 1.5mm mount board and the window frame is Chubber's favourite Packeto_Flakeo cardboard.

post-7025-0-47024100-1333628110_thumb.jpg

post-7025-0-19585500-1333628116_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

Why not try using brick slips?

This site has them:

http://www.minaco-uk.com/

Alex,

Thanks but even at 1:24 they will probably be too big.

Given that a house brick is 8½ × 4 × 2½ in, in 4mm scale that would be just under 3mm x 1mm x 0.5mm (ish !) so I'm hoping some lengths of rectangular plastic rod will be suitable.

As long as I get a good approximation, I'll be satisfied.

There are some nice quoins in the back wall.

I was shocked to discover that this "building" is listed in one of the Redruth architectural/heritage building studies as having some merit and apparently dated pre 1908. I suspect it is due to this rear wall,as this at one time possibly butted up the rear wall of Jack Splat's Yard which was there before the Royal Mail monstrosity.

Edit grammar

• RMweb Gold

I was shocked to discover that this "building" is listed in one of the Redruth architectural/heritage building studies as have some merit and apparently dated pre 1908. I suspect it is due to this rear wall,as this at one time possibly butted up the rear wall of Jack Splat's Yard which was there before the Royal Mail monstrosity.

Wow - thanks for the info !

So chances are it won't be demolished (if you notice there are two official notices on the front wall to the left of the door, but I'm not sure what they are for) - I just hope they don't 'fix' it before I've finished my model - cue Bachmann/Hornby turning up and making a resin version !!

Guest Dave.C
I just hope they don't 'fix' it before I've finished my model

I very much doubt that any work will take place over a Bank Holiday weekend, you on the other hand could well complete the model

• RMweb Gold

Front door added, plus the large piece of chipboard, and the side panel covering what I think was another door has alos been done. Mainly just the notice board on this panel, the window covering on the other side and the roof to do.

post-7025-0-01358200-1333820498_thumb.jpg

post-7025-0-77389000-1333820505_thumb.jpg

This model is a superb study in grotty decay. I have to remind myself how small the model actually is.

On a slightly tangental point - I was flicking through Barry Norman's "Designing A Layout" yesterday, looking for something else, and stumbled across his plan for layout based on Redruth ..... and the plan has a funny little "shed-sized" building opposite the station just where it should be.

Archived