Jaymz' narrow gauge entry

Well I've been having a think, and sketching various things out and decided that I'm going to have a go at some stock for the p-way department on my 009 layout. The primary vehicle will be a mess/stores vehicle. The basis for my designs thus far has been the mess vehicle on the Ffestiniog/WHR number 1111. Mine will be half carriage, half van, so the workforce have somewhere dry and comfortable to travel and somewhere to store various bits of equipment. I intend to have opening doors on the van section and a detailed interior.

The only off the shelf items I intend to use are wheels, the rest being from styrene sheet or strip and brass wire.

Once I've got some neat plans drawn up I'll get them posted on here.

Cheers

J

This morning, I've been playing with that good old design tool of pencil and paper, followed by a scanner and Photoshop, and come up with the following results. I have drawn the carriage side to scale, so I can use it as a cutting plan when I get going but I'm not sure what sort of size it will be when viewed on here, for reference though, the length is 160mm which scales out to 40 feet. The bogie at the balcony end is set a little further into the body in order to clear the acess steps, but this will be compensated for by the end being slightly narrower than the van end.

post-7895-0-50110800-1333530944_thumb.jpg

I have also had a quick (very quick - hence the crudeness) go at some livery ideas. The first is based on that of the FR/WHR carriage but with warning stripes on the lowering door. The second is an all over black livery which will match my current maintainance wagons. You may notice the number on the right hand end is 1201, this is in keeping with my stock numbering system where-by the first digit(s) are the year of completion and the second pair of numbers denotes the build number for that year, if I finish any other projects on my workbench before this one, the number is open for change!

post-7895-0-86979700-1333530962_thumb.jpg

post-7895-0-82951300-1333530979_thumb.jpg

I think I prefer the more elaborate livery, but I've got plenty of time to decide on that, or come up with another one entirely!

All comments are welcome, and hoepfully I'll make a start at cutting some plastic in the next few days (and pick up any extra bits at the York show this weekend!)

Cheers

J

The first plastic has been cut, that of the floor plan.  The cut outs at the end are for the steps and for clearance with the greater overhang due to the in-set bogie at that end.  I've also marked the bulkhead lines and drilled pilot hoes for the bogie pivots.  The next task is to get some bogies made, as until they are done it'll be just a grounded body!

All comments welcome as always

Cheers

J

post-7895-0-61328000-1333566970_thumb.jpg

Work on the bogies has begun, and the basic frames have been cut and assembled. They roll fairly well, but a little bit of fettling will improve this. They are going to be inside framed, similar to those seen on Voyagers and such. This decision was made as it'll make it look a little more modern, and unusual (in terms of NG carriages at least) and add a bit of extra interest.

I've taken a couple of progress photos of the carriage floor resting on the bogies, no mountings have been fitted yet, and one of one of the basic bogie frames. The next stas to get the floor sitting at the right height in reference to my other stock.

Cheers

J

post-7895-0-30379800-1333654757_thumb.jpg

post-7895-0-15387200-1333655304_thumb.jpg

post-7895-0-44658200-1333655340_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...

I know its been a while since I posted some updates about this project, and to be fair, not much has changed as I've been distracted by other things such as making a start on my layout's scenery. Never-the-less, I have made progress with the bogies, as can be seen in one of the attatched images. The second bogie is just awaiting the fitting of the brass rod that runs (roughly) between the wheel centres. If I can find something suitable, I'll have some sort of axle cover on the ends of these arms to make them loog a bit more modern (although they won't be very visible once they're under the coach body)

I've also made a strengthening frame under the coach floor to hold it flat, which may have some weight added inside it later once I know how heavy the finished item is.

So there we are, proof that I am doing something! And hopefully posting on here will encourage me to keep going!

Cheers

J

post-7895-0-65541400-1339012365_thumb.jpg

post-7895-0-46896700-1339012925_thumb.jpg

Over the last couple of evenings I've cut out the sides and windows/van end door opening and made a start of adding the window frames from evergreen strip (I may add some beading for strength too)

The line along the bottom edges mark where the floor will be which will be useful once I start fitting the partitions and ends

I'm looking forward to having a shell that I can sit on the chassis, as then it'll really start to look like I'm getting somewhere!

Cheers

J

post-7895-0-61838300-1339312556_thumb.jpg

The coach sides have had their window frames fitted, and being impatient, I have added the end for the van section, which has had an access door scribed and will eventually have a grab handle. I have made the false ceiling and attatched the sides to this, as well as the two side portions of the verandah end doorway. Some small strengthening sections have been added at the base of the joints to keep everything square and stop the 'banana' effect of the sides bowing after the glue had set.

The whole assembly can be seen below sitting on the chassis to get a basic idea of how it will look once completed, and its looking rather big (in narrow gauge terms anyway!)

Cheers

J

post-7895-0-55911000-1339693704_thumb.jpg

post-7895-0-95198100-1339694458_thumb.jpg

post-7895-0-50460800-1339694502_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

After having both of my layouts at exhibition in the last few weeks, my project has taken a bit of a back burner but now with the advent of some 'free' time I've got back into my project, so hopefully there'll a bit more in the way of activity to show!

So since my last update I have doen the following:

• Fitted the rods to the second bogie, so they now both match.
  • Fitted som washers to the inside of one of the bogies to act as bearings as it wasn't rolling very well
  • Added some hand-rails to the van-end door
  • Made the ramp for the van section with a working hinge (just some brass tube and wire, nothing technologically complex here!)
  • Added some beading around the windows for both setrength and aesthetic reasons. The sides now look a lot less plain, especially the non-ramp side.

The next jobs will be to fit a magnet inside the van false-roof to hold the door shut and make a start on the actual roof and balcony end. I also need to fit couplings so I can properly test it through pointwork.

Here are a few photos of the current state of the vehicle, which I think is a vast improvement, and is actually starting to take shape. I'm looking forward to getting the roof done so I can really get an idea of what it will look like!

post-7895-0-49014500-1344182103_thumb.jpg

post-7895-0-87903200-1344182182_thumb.jpg

post-7895-0-16615000-1344182249_thumb.jpg

All comments and/or suggestions are, as ever, welcome

Cheers

J

I've managed to do a bit more this week, the framing for the windows has been finished off, which seems to've helped the strength of the window frames (which is the main reason I did it!) I've also fitted a handrail along the bodysides below the windows, which is designed to serve two purposes; it gives the track gang somewhere to fasten things, and if anything is leant up against the carriage side it offers a bit of support to avoid things pressing straight onto the windows.

The main progress has been with the verandah end, where I have built the steps and will fit some wire mesh behind it to represent a protective grille. I have also fitted couplings to the bogies, a Paul Windle one at the stores end and a wire hook at the verandah end.

Next on the agenda is the roof and fitting a magnet inside the stores section so as to hold the door closed. I need a relatively thin and light one so it doesn't affect the balance of the vehicle or take up too much space inside the ceiling, does anyone have any ideas where such a thing might be found?

Enough waffle, here's a couple of photos of the current progress

post-7895-0-58935600-1344672480_thumb.jpg

post-7895-0-29462800-1344672487_thumb.jpg

post-7895-0-17428100-1344672494_thumb.jpg

Cheers

J

It is coming on well. I think it would look better if the handrail or a flat strip of brass had been glued to the inside of the coach under the windows, this would be unobtrusive and stiffened it up. This is mainly as I can see no prototype need of putting a handrail on there.

I am interested in how you are going to do the roof.

Thanks for that, the roof will be done with support ribs running the length of the body and then a skin over the top. As the verandah end is open, the roof might have to be un-ribbed, so it'll probably have to be a brass, or thin alloy (beer can, any excuse!) roof for strength.

There will be a funnl interior, well, tables and seats, so that should add some rigidity and various interior details in the stores end which will hopefully do the same!

The idea for the handrail came from the Festiniog, and their mess carriage 1111, see the image linked below.

http://m.flickr.com/#/photos/a_griffin_park_boy/5693968284/

Cheers

J

• 2 weeks later...

Just caught up with this, J - I managed to miss it over the summer! Very nice work, and far better than my first (and last!) attempt at modelling 1111 from plasticard - though you have made me want to have a go at it again. I suppose I'll have to find the drawings from somewhere...

I like the curved window ends - I'll be waiting with interest to see what you do with the livery. A cross between a Pendolino and 1111, perhaps?

• 1 month later...

Well, there's been a rather long delay ion anything being done on my carriage, distracted by other projects (Hunslet 'Velinheli' being the main one) and an imminent house move! But never fear, I have FINALLY got a roof fitted after various experiments with beer cans (none of which were long enough (the 'beer' sold in pint cans was not of the sort I would care to partake!) and plasticard which wouldn't hold its shape, I have finally succumbed to a rolled brass roof, which also adds a bit more weight to the overall body (although not in the most desirable place!)

Once the roof was fitted, I also added rain strips over the veranda ends and the support poles at the ends. These art attached to the chassis, and not the roof, so the body is still removable, so I can fit an interior, and fix any problems within should they arise. There is an air vent over the toilet which has also had its partitions fitted and a door handle added (see photos)

The access door has a magnet fitted in the roof of the stores van and a bit of iron wire to transfer the magnetic current (not sure if thats the correct term!) to the corresponding bit of iron wire in the door. It isn't the strongest of holds, but it is enough to stop the door from falling open, which is all it needs to do! I had intended to make the magnet look like a light, but it was a bit big for that, so I've hidden it in an overhead 'storage box'

The plain side of the van has had a few access panels added, represented by thin plasticard which cover the various openings and sockets provided for the P-Way team.

I don't think there's much more to do on the exterior, so that should hopefully be at least undercoated this week ot make sure it hasn't got any un-noticed blemishes anywhere before the initial painting begins. The interior will be built on the chassis module and I have fitted supports to this for the tables and seating which fingers crossed wont be too complex!

On with the photos so you can see I'm not making any of this up!

post-7895-0-81776600-1349777653_thumb.jpg

post-7895-0-03213900-1349777689_thumb.jpg

The carriage from both sides

post-7895-0-30970700-1349777661_thumb.jpg

The stores ramp in lowered position, showing into the van. The magnet is hidden within the storage area in the roof.

post-7895-0-60967000-1349777673_thumb.jpg

post-7895-0-47097400-1349777667_thumb.jpg

The two ends showing Vac pipes and the added detail to the veranda end

post-7895-0-03151700-1349777682_thumb.jpg

The toilet compartment showing the handle. The window will be whited out so I'm not going to detail the interior of it

post-7895-0-10935900-1349777696_thumb.jpg

The various panels on the plain side of the van end allowing access to various sockets, controls and other such things which may be required!

I hope my absence hasn't rendered my project obsolete (although whether it will meet the deadline is another thing entirely!)

Cheers

J

Archived