Ressaldar's O Gauge modelling

Ressaldar

Hi - I have been thinking about buying a JLTRT steam loco for a while - I was slightly confused about the medium but this post has intregued me - are they brass/metal kits at all or are they primarily another medium?

Hello A_S,

the JLTRT steam kit are mostly etched brass (upper works) and etched nickel silver (chassis) with the option of a cast boiler (resin), but some of the later kits have the resin boiler included. Don't be put off by the resin boiler 5 min to clean up then a bit of time to get it to fit just so (etched brass boiler a day to make then you've got to add weight).The fitting are mostly in cast brass with some white metal parts. I would recommend getting the SDK for the kit as well. The kits do make a nice loco, but they are not shake the box kits.

I've got one of the 2251 kits waiting to go into the works in this kit you have a resin boiler and the tender tank cast in resin with the coal fenders to add from brass etches. The kit also has a working representation of the valve gear (I'm looking forward to that).

If you let us know what the loco is that your thinking about, I may be able to help you some more.

OzzyO.

Hi - I have been thinking about buying a JLTRT steam loco for a while - I was slightly confused about the medium but this post has intregued me - are they brass/metal kits at all or are they primarily another medium?

Hi A_S,

the steam locos are mainly brass/metal, but I believe some have resin boilers and tenders.

regards

Mike

Thanks for the replies guys. I was thinking of buidling a GWR tank, perhaps the 45xx with the sloping tanks after I have finnished my Jinty. I'm not sure this one has a resin boiler though!

give them a email or call but going by there website the 45xx with normal tanks has a optional resin boiler.

I've got one of the 2251 kits waiting to go into the works in this kit you have a resin boiler and the tender tank cast in resin with the coal fenders to add from brass etches. The kit also has a working representation of the valve gear (I'm looking forward to that).

If you let us know what the loco is that your thinking about, I may be able to help you some more.

OzzyO.

Hi Paul,

I tried to track you down at Telford (did'nt see you in the upstairs bar) I suppose you were putting a dent in your credit card like the rest of us. Anyway down to business, I see you have a 2251 starting soon. Any chance of putting the build on here, only the 2251 will be one of my next buys and it would be great to see how the kit goes together beforehand. Especially from a professional builder like yourself (grovel-grovel) you can iron out any possible problems, before I make a b***s up :blink:.

All the best, Martyn.

• 2 months later...

Hi all,

just to update the thread, herewith some initial photos of the David Andrews kit of rebuilt West Country 34014 Budleigh Salterton that I have just about finished - only the canvas 'roof' between the cab and tender and some coal in the bunker to do.

The wheels are by JPL and the power comes from a Ron Chaplin gearbox coupled to a Canon motor, everything else is as supplied in the kit. Due to the weather conditions and needing the paint to go off as quilckly as possible, I used Halfords Rover Brooklands Green and Plasticote Black enamel, transfers are HMRS Pressfix, protected with a couple of thin coats of Railmatch Satin Varnish with a few drops of Weathered Black to give the 'cleaned by oil' look and the nameplates and numbers are by Guilplates, the wheels are painted with a well thinned mix of Railmatch Oily Steel and Weathered Black.

The finished model is to be presented to my Aunt and Uncle for their Diamond Wedding Anniversary on Christmas Eve, Uncle having been evacuated to Budleigh Salterton during the war.

post-6951-028522800 1292055716_thumb.jpg

post-6951-087903500 1292055703_thumb.jpg

post-6951-072654700 1292055710_thumb.jpg

regards

Mike

That is a very nice Diamond Wedding Anniversary present and a very nice thought too. For some reason I missed this thread initially but the sight of your Class 40 made me do a spot of swotting on here. Why don't 4mm scale Class 40s look like this? The detail is in the bogies and undergear and methinks the plastic RTR manufacturers still have some way to go. If Hornby/Bachmann '00' ever catch up with JLTRT, I promise to have a 'funny hour' and spend lot of £££'s on 40's and maroon coaches!:)

Hi Boris,

I'm really looking forward to the 08, but as I said above, it's another Q1 to build before that, the first build was a real joy, so I can't wait to get started after the Christmas festivities.

Glad you like the West Country.

regards

Mike

herewith the final shots, just to complete the set.

The canvas roof is a piece of cotton superglued onto a furrowed piece of metal toothpaste tube material, one row at a time & letting the previous row set before moving onto the next one and then the whole assembly superglued under the tender canopy and leaving the other end free 'to take the curves'

post-6951-018269300 1292170937_thumb.jpg

post-6951-054124200 1292170942_thumb.jpg

post-6951-050226300 1292170947_thumb.jpg

post-6951-017833400 1292170953_thumb.jpg

post-6951-078916900 1292170958_thumb.jpg

post-6951-031352000 1292170963_thumb.jpg

regards

Mike

• 1 year later...

Hi Mike,

I have just found this tread and I'm very impressed with the model. I have been searching for this model of a rebuilt West Country for ages but... the feel of the loco was lacking until now.

Just a couple of questions, Is the David Andrews kit easy to build for a beginner and is there any fettling to do or is it just brilliant?

Do you have a picture of the frets and what tools is needed to complete? I guess fret cutters, files, soldering iron, flux, solder, bench, a good light, holding vice and a great deal of time and patience.

Have you still got the plans and are they easy to scan/photo?

I am fortune enough to have plenty of photos to follow and time (early forties)

Many thanks in advance.

Chris

l know l said that l would never ever scratch build another Bullied, but your west country is something else and has re-lit the fire, what a fantastic loco, you have really made a good job, l am now saving my money up to get a David Andrews Bullied west country.

Excellent model, are the D Andrews kits nice to put together?

Hi Peter,

I'm trying to find out this, Might give David a ring and find out more.

Hi George,

Your BoB model was excellent. I would like to do an original West Country after the rebuilt.

Like me we have to save up. Should not take long. But I would like to "look" in the box before I commit or 'er indoors may ******** me.

Chris

Hi Chris, Peter and GeorgeT,

many thanks for your kind comments etc and requests for information.

Could you please bear with me for a few days as I have literally just returned from the South, visiting my Motherin-law in hospital, where she passed away early on Sunday morning. Her funeral is next Tuesday and I will be only too happy to respond to your requests when we return home again on 25th April.

regards

Mike

Hi Chris, Peter and GeorgeT,

many thanks for your kind comments etc and requests for information.

Could you please bear with me for a few days as I have literally just returned from the South, visiting my Motherin-law in hospital, where she passed away early on Sunday morning. Her funeral is next Tuesday and I will be only too happy to respond to your requests when we return home again on 25th April.

regards

Mike

Sorry to hear of your loss. Nothing more important than family.

Archived